If Vol'jin were Warchief?

45 Orc Rogue
Hello, I was thinking about the future Warchief, and if Vol'jin was going to be Warchief after Garrosh was removed, what do you guys think he would do to the Forsaken? What would he do to the other races? What would he do period? Thanks in advance. :)
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Rogue
11/15/2012 07:04 PMPosted by Lobby
Hello, I was thinking about the future Warchief, and if Vol'jin was going to be Warchief after Garrosh was removed, what do you guys think he would do to the Forsaken? What would he do to the other races? What would he do period? Thanks in advance. :)

If I were to guess, I'd say that he'd bungle it, and plunge the world into deeper instability.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Shaman
11/15/2012 07:13 PMPosted by Kyalin
If I were to guess, I'd say that he'd bungle it, and plunge the world into deeper instability.

Why?
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Rogue
11/15/2012 07:19 PMPosted by Skytotem

Why?

I'm just not convinced that he's the decisive leader that the Horde needs. I don't really see him standing up to a resurgent Sylvannas if she decides to take advantage, or to stop his own people from violating international sovereignty, should that happen again.
Reply Quote
100 Troll Hunter
11/15/2012 07:23 PMPosted by Kyalin
I'm just not convinced that he's the decisive leader that the Horde needs. I don't really see him standing up to a resurgent Sylvannas if she decides to take advantage, or to stop his own people from violating international sovereignty, should that happen again.

While I don't know the limits of Bwonsamdi's necromantic abilities (For example, if it's limited to Trolls or not), I don't think Undead would be a threat to Vol'jin if Bwonsamdi's magic effects all Undead.

We know Vol'jin wants peace and is an expert diplomat. I don't think he would try to push any further unto Ashenvale, in fact, I'd bet he would pull out of Ashenvale.
Reply Quote
100 Troll Shaman
11/15/2012 07:05 PMPosted by Lobby

"Any number of things. Depending on any number of other things."

Okay, okay.

Politically, logistically and militarily, the Kalimdor Horde is likely to be in a rather rough spot post-Siege of Orgrimmar. Depending on the Forsaken and/or Sylvanas relative standing at that point, Vol'jin may not be able to do anything on that front, despite whatever political will he might have.

Or, he might still have the weight to put a stop to Sylvanas's machinations.

We've never really seen him interact with anyone outside the Kalimdor Horde, save that he got along with the (now dead) Forsaken and Blood Elf emissaries.

Note for simplicity's sake: Just use this thread and drop the other. Migrate your posts to this one.
Reply Quote
100 Troll Hunter
11/15/2012 07:29 PMPosted by Pyronaptor
He may be a powerful shadow hunter, but I don't think that Thrall making him an adviser really makes him a strategist. Now, he may value his colleagues and followers, but would he be willing to stand up to them if they were doing something he disagrees with? What if his colleagues and followers, for example, decide to go to war with the Steamwheedle Cartel because they have all the money? Would he try to convince them otherwise? Would he tell them no? Would he surreptitiously stop them, or would he wait until things got really bad, and THEN do something?

Vol'jin has a good name with the Steamwheedle specifically, he warned them and was able to muster them to aid against Zul'Gurub.

I think he would do his best to find a peaceful solution, but, especially considering how much the Steamwheedle still helps the Horde, even after the Bilgewater has joined the Horde's ranks, I doubt he would have much of a problem quickly ending any hostilities.

I'm also of a mind the Horde should ween off the Steamwheedle and use more Bilgewater things to save money, but that's another thing.

^ My post from the other thread.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Rogue
We know Vol'jin wants peace and is an expert diplomat. I don't think he would try to push any further unto Ashenvale, in fact, I'd bet he would pull out of Ashenvale.

Well, now I have to ask, how is Vol'jin an expert diplomat?

His efforts in stopping the Zandalar simply amounted to turning away and giving them the bird, and he didn't really do well in his negotiation with Garrosh, going so far as to threaten him to his face... not exactly smart. Other than that though, I don't really see where his diplomatic merits exist, especially not to qualify him as an expert.

I'm furthermore confident that he would oppose Ashenvale. My question is, if he were in Thrall's position after Warcraft III, would he have acted differently?
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Rogue
I'm also of a mind the Horde should ween off the Steamwheedle and use more Bilgewater things to save money, but that's another thing.

If they would save money... You still have to go through make or buy analysis to make that determination. No shortcuts!

My question in regard to the Steamwheedle doesn't really apply simply to the steamwheedle. It could be any country. We could even make up a country. I'm just asking what Vol'jin would do if he found himself in that sort of situation.
Edited by Kyalin on 11/15/2012 7:37 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Shaman
11/15/2012 07:23 PMPosted by Kyalin

He did a fine job coordinating blood elves and high elves against the Amani. I figure he's worth a shot.
Reply Quote
100 Troll Hunter
11/15/2012 07:34 PMPosted by Kyalin
Well, now I have to ask, how is Vol'jin an expert diplomat?

He's able to gain not only the aid of his Blood Elven allies, but the Silver Covenant (Possibly with help from Haldurion), both races known for their seething hatred of all things Troll.

He's able to send diplomats to Stormwind to gain the aid of the Alliance against the Zandalari (Although that might be more Bwemda than Vol'jin, but he had to have some guts to try it).

He's able to gain the aid of the Steamwheedle Cartel against the Zandalari as well.

Point being: You have to be pretty good with words to be able to muster your enemy to your cause.
Edited by Pyronaptor on 11/15/2012 7:38 PM PST
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Rogue
11/15/2012 07:36 PMPosted by Skytotem

He did a fine job coordinating blood elves and high elves against the Amani. I figure he's worth a shot.

There aren't any real diplomatic or leadership feats here, and the Amani were already an enemy though. As for him leading, sure, he took up the mantle, but we can't really nail down what his accomplishments (apart from ringing a gong) really were.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Rogue
Point being: You have to be pretty good with words to be able to muster your enemy to your cause.

That or Bwemda is....
Reply Quote
100 Troll Hunter
11/15/2012 07:39 PMPosted by Kyalin
That or Bwemda is....

There's still the Silver Covenant.

And I don't know who Vereesa hates more, Trolls, or Blood Elves.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Rogue
11/15/2012 07:41 PMPosted by Pyronaptor
That or Bwemda is....

The Silver Covenant still gets to kill Trolls. I don't imagine that it would have taken much convincing considering that Dalaran was still neutral at the time.
Reply Quote
26 Worgen Hunter
Knowing which people to place in certain situations is tantamount to being a good leader. Vol'jin knew Bwemba's strengths and placed her in a position for them to shine. That is good leadership by way of good strategy.
Reply Quote
100 Troll Hunter
11/15/2012 07:47 PMPosted by Kyalin
The Silver Covenant still gets to kill Trolls. I don't imagine that it would have taken much convincing considering that Dalaran was still neutral at the time.

Even if Dalaran was neutral, Vereesa and the Silver Covenant never were.
Reply Quote
11/15/2012 07:41 PMPosted by Pyronaptor
That or Bwemda is....

Blood elves.

Heretics are always worse than heathens.

It's a self loathing thing.
Reply Quote
100 Troll Shaman
Now, we know Vol'jin isn't completely new to the game. He's got the balls to send emissaries to the peoples with whom he's currently at war to warn them and give them the chance to defend themselves against an impending threat when he stands to gain nothing from it.

Vol'jin could have let the Zandalari take Fort Livingston and the Explorer's League Digsite (and they would have, as it's made clear the former barely managed a defense, and the latter outright fell until a Darkspear witchdoctor saved those afflicted by a voodoo curse of undeath), and it wouldn't have made a difference in the forces sent to Zul'gurub proper.

He's got no problem working with erstwhile enemies, and the political clout to manage the cooperation of various disparate (and mutually loathing) forces.

What isn't yet clear is whether or not he'd be able to exert the same authority over the other races of the Horde.
Reply Quote
11/15/2012 07:13 PMPosted by Kyalin

Vol'jin is cautious and in WoW terms a moderate and a squish. He keenly appreciates the cost of war, not surprising given that his own tribe narrowly escaped being rubbed out.

The main problem he has is I don't think the Orcs would accept him.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]