If Vol'jin were Warchief?

100 Troll Hunter
What isn't yet clear is whether or not he'd be able to exert the same authority over the other races of the Horde.

Well, Tauren and Blood Elves I think would be a no brainer - He was a close friend of Cairne, appears to be a good friend to Baine, and he brought his men to defend Quel'thalas and defeat Zul'Aman.

Goblins are trickier. Garrosh seems to push them around rather easily. I'd imagine any Warchief would have the same authority, even if they acted differently with it.

Orcs and Forsaken would be the trickiest. Orcs, I suppose it would depend how many are still of a Garrosh mindset after the Siege. Any Orcs that think like Thrall, Saurfang, or even the old Shaman in front of Orgrimmar shouldn't have any problem with it.

As for the Forsaken, I'm always looking at Bwonsamdi on this one. If he indeed has power over all types of Undead, and not just Trollish Undead (Which is pure speculation), the Siame-Quashi should be able to hold them down. It would be like Lillian Voss and Darkmaster Gandling all over again.
Edited by Pyronaptor on 11/15/2012 8:01 PM PST
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Rogue
Alright. I wasn't giving the Stormwind argument enough credence here. In the back of my mind, I still think these were just shoehorned in to give the Alliance an excuse to be participating in yet another Horde story, but it's lore now so I guess I'll address it.

If someone shows up and informs you that the building is on fire, and you can verify that the buliding is, in fact, on fire. You're probably going to take that person's advice no matter who they are. This isn't a particularly heated diplomatic exchange, there's no real feat here. Vol'jin is kindly informing Stormwind of a problem that turns out to be true at Fort Livingston.

Other questions though may not be as clear cut, and it may take some convincing to dissuade someone off of a path that they believe is the right one. Vol'jin doesn't really do so well in this arena, usually being content to say "I oppose you" and leaving it there.
Reply Quote
100 Troll Shaman
11/15/2012 07:51 PMPosted by Deerde
The main problem he has is I don't think the Orcs would accept him.

I don't think any of the Orcs would be in any position to reject him.

Consider there's already a number of Orcs speaking out against Garrosh, and we're likely going to be killing those who do support him.

If Vol'jin is in a significant enough position of strength that he can unite the rebellion and wrest control of the Horde, he's likely to have a good power base and solid support to begin with.
Reply Quote
11/15/2012 07:56 PMPosted by Pyronaptor
What isn't yet clear is whether or not he'd be able to exert the same authority over the other races of the Horde.

Well, Tauren and Blood Elves I think would be a no brainer - He was a close friend of Cairne, appears to be a good friend to Baine, and he brought his men to defend Quel'thalas and defeat Zul'Aman.

Goblins are trickier. Garrosh seems to push them around rather easily. I'd imagine any Warchief would have the same authority, even if they acted differently with it.

Orcs and Forsaken would be the trickiest. Orcs, I suppose it would depend how many are still of a Garrosh mindset after the Siege. Any Orcs that think like Thrall, Saurfang, or even the old Shaman in front of Orgrimmar shouldn't have any problem with it.

As for the Forsaken, I'm always looking at Bwonsamdi on this one. If he indeed has power over all types of Undead, and not just Trollish Undead (Which is pure speculation), the Siame-Quashi should be able to hold them down.

I assume Sylvanas does whatever she wants regardless of who is running the Horde. Vol'jin is no worse or better than anybody.

The true sticking point is the Orcs.
Reply Quote
100 Troll Shaman
11/15/2012 08:00 PMPosted by Deerde
The true sticking point is the Orcs.

Like I said, the remaining Orcs are likely going to be a non-issue.

The Kor'kron and forces who supported Garrosh will be dead and gone, and those who remain will be folks like the mushroom farmer who spoke out against Garrosh before the fighting even broke out.
Reply Quote
100 Troll Hunter
11/15/2012 07:57 PMPosted by Kyalin
If someone shows up and informs you that the building is on fire, and you can verify that the buliding is, in fact, on fire. You're probably going to take that person's advice no matter who they are. This isn't a particularly heated diplomatic exchange, there's no real feat here. Vol'jin is kindly informing Stormwind of a problem that turns out to be true at Fort Livingston.

Again, the fact that Vol'jin is willing to do that alone shows. He should hate Humans.

And there is still the matter of the Trolls even getting into the harbor without being shot on sight (Even if they were being watched by armed guards). And it's like Rudox said, if the diplomacy is indeed Bwemba's ability, Vol'jin is a good leader for noticing the trait and placing her in a position where her strengths would be strongest.

11/15/2012 07:57 PMPosted by Kyalin
Other questions though may not be as clear cut, and it may take some convincing to dissuade someone off of a path that they believe is the right one. Vol'jin doesn't really do so well in this arena, usually being content to say "I oppose you" and leaving it there.

Not that many situations have come up for that. Vol'jin (And others) has attempted to dissuade Garrosh before, but we all know how Garrosh is.

As for the Zandalari, I have a feeling that if he stated opposition then and there, around all of the other tribes who supported the war the Zandalari were proposing, he wouldn't have lived very long. I'm frankly surprised they didn't shoot him in the back while he was walking away.
Reply Quote
The other question here is: does Vol'jin even want the job? I think he prefers the eminence grise role so far as the Horde is concerned. If he's really dedicated to raising the prospects of the Darkspears (and Trolls generally) that's a full time job by itself.
Reply Quote
100 Troll Hunter
The other question here is: does Vol'jin even want the job? I think he prefers the eminence grise role so far as the Horde is concerned. If he's really dedicated to raising the prospects of the Darkspears (and Trolls generally) that's a full time job by itself.

It's not so much that, as there is no one else who really can do the job, so far.
Reply Quote
100 Troll Shaman

He's never expressed any interest in being anything more than the Silvio to Thrall's Tony (you can thank Lochnar for that analogy), but it's a role that people have suggested he should take given the fact he seems more qualified than most other candidates.
Reply Quote
41 Gnome Priest
If Vol'jin was the warchief, would he be standing in the middle of Org? I doubt they would put anyone other than an Orc there. I also don't think Vol'jin is stupid enough to be put on the throne, and after MoP it would lead to the horde and alliance making peace finally. I mean after Garrosh is gone it wouldn't make sense for them to be fighting at all, but the devs will probably find some stupid misunderstanding to keep it going.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Shaman
A good point was raised earlier about why the other tribes would follow Vol'jin after the defeat of the Zandalar / Mogu.

I'm thinking intervention or advice on the part of the spirits may play a role in that, or he could simply recruit more level-headed members rather than the entirety of the remaining tribes.
Reply Quote
100 Troll Hunter
11/16/2012 01:56 AMPosted by Healstime
If Vol'jin was the warchief, would he be standing in the middle of Org? I doubt they would put anyone other than an Orc there. I also don't think Vol'jin is stupid enough to be put on the throne, and after MoP it would lead to the horde and alliance making peace finally. I mean after Garrosh is gone it wouldn't make sense for them to be fighting at all, but the devs will probably find some stupid misunderstanding to keep it going.

There doesn't have to be fighting for the Horde to have a leader.

Yes, he will be standing in Org, probably in a rebuilt Grommash Hold.
Reply Quote
1 Blood Elf Rogue
11/15/2012 08:18 PMPosted by Pyronaptor
It's not so much that, as there is no one else who really can do the job, so far.

No one else? Pretty much every other major horde character would be just as good at the job as Vol'jin, probably better in a lot of cases.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
11/16/2012 10:26 AMPosted by Aureus
No one else? Pretty much every other major horde character would be just as good at the job as Vol'jin, probably better in a lot of cases.

For example?
Reply Quote
100 Troll Hunter

Sylvanas? Ah hah hah, no.

Baine? Let me laugh even harder.

Saurfang? I could accept him, but Blizz has basically written him off as being very depressed, and he hasn't been seen lately.

Nazgrim? Too Garrosh-y.

Nazgrel? Been absent too long, and not enough people would know him.

Rexxar? Wouldn't want to be in a city, and Blizz won't bring him back from Outland.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Shaman

If you suggest Baine we can't be friends.
Reply Quote
100 Troll Shaman

'cept Baine, Lor'themar, Sylvanas and Gallywix, of course.

Which doesn't leave a whole lot of important, established figures.
Edited by Kellick on 11/16/2012 10:32 AM PST
Reply Quote
1 Blood Elf Rogue

'cept Baine, Lot'themar, Sylvanas and Gallywix, of course.

Which doesn't leave a whole lot of important, established figures.

The first three would definitely qualify for that list. Though Syl has PR issues.
Reply Quote

Gallywix? Sylvanas? Not a chance. They're free riders. No real interest in the Horde per se.

Lor'themar is an interesting dark horse candidate.

Near as I can tell, Horde players can't stand Baine at all. Don't expect a lot of takers here. That said, I think he is the most acceptable non orc for orcs, and that's a strong point in his favor. The Orcs just seem more favorably disposed to the Tauren in general than other horde races. Maybe orcs don't have a hard veto on this post MoP, but it's still a point to consider.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Shaman
11/16/2012 10:33 AMPosted by Deerde
Lor'themar is an interesting dark horse candidate.

The playerbase would rage for forty days and forty nights, burning everything to the ground.

EDIT:

The first three would definitely qualify for that list. Though Syl has PR issues.

No. No no no no . No.

Baine "I gave water to the quillboar murdering my people" Failhoof, should not lead the Horde.

Jastor "I make no sense staying in power even if I am the epitome of goblindom" Gallywix would never be accepted by anyone because he's potentially worse than Garrosh.

Sylvanas "I raise the dead, torture the innocent and am canonically going to hell." Windrunner, should not be accepted as leader.
Edited by Skytotem on 11/16/2012 10:39 AM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]