If Vol'jin were Warchief?

100 Troll Hunter
People only think Lor'themar is plausible because Rommath and Aethas told him he'd be a fine Warchief (In datamined audio, mind you, which might not even make it to the final product).
Edited by Pyronaptor on 11/16/2012 10:35 AM PST
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid

'cept Baine, Lot'themar, Sylvanas and Gallywix, of course.

Which doesn't leave a whole lot of important, established figures.

The first three would definitely qualify for that list. Though Syl has PR issues.

I think some of us disagree on what qualifications are needed hehe
Reply Quote
100 Troll Shaman
11/16/2012 10:34 AMPosted by Skytotem
Lor'themar is an interesting dark horse candidate.

The playerbase would rage for forty days and forty nights, burning everything to the ground.

Ech. I don't object as strongly to Lor'themar as I do to Baine.

It's just that, by his own admission on several occasion, the guy's admitted to not knowing the first thing about politics.
Reply Quote
1 Blood Elf Rogue
11/16/2012 10:34 AMPosted by Skytotem
The playerbase would rage for forty days and forty nights, burning everything to the ground.

They'll do that regardless of what happens.
11/16/2012 10:35 AMPosted by Bullcowsby
I think some of us disagree on what qualifications are needed hehe

Well the thread sets the bar pretty low.
People only think Lor'themar is plausible because Rommath and Aethas told him he'd be a fine Warchief (In datamined audio, mind you, which might not even make it to the final product).

It's not that, he's just a major horde character who has roughly the same (i.e. virtually no) qualifications as Vol'jin.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Shaman
11/16/2012 10:36 AMPosted by Kellick
Ech. I don't object as strongly to Lor'themar as I do to Baine.

Neither do I, but the fact remains most of the vocal players would balk and rage at the idea.

EDIT:

11/16/2012 10:39 AMPosted by Aureus
It's not that, he's just a major horde character who has roughly the same (i.e. virtually no) qualifications as Vol'jin.

Except not trying to make peace with the Alliance and being thematically similar to the majority of the Horde.
Edited by Skytotem on 11/16/2012 10:41 AM PST
Reply Quote
100 Troll Hunter

*looks at the fan-poll where Vol'jin beat Basic Campfire*

What makes you think Vol'jin has no qualifications?

And what qualifications are you talking about? If you say, "The Orcs have to like him," then you'd be wrong.
Edited by Pyronaptor on 11/16/2012 10:42 AM PST
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
Well the thread sets the bar pretty low.

Well, maybe from your perspective it does, but how could you possibly think BAINE is a more qualified leader for the entirety of the Horde than Vol'jin?
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
11/16/2012 10:40 AMPosted by Pyronaptor
And what qualifications are you talking about? If you say, "The Orcs have to like him," then you'd be wrong.

This is what I was saying... maybe we should discuss the qualifications we're using to judge appropriateness.

Because I just don't see how Vol'jin, who is well-known in the Horde, has led his people for a long time, has shown a willingness to bend with the wind, work "across the aisle", etc... is somehow less qualified than Baine, who is a tyro when it comes to leading his race (let alone the Horde), has shown an unwillingness to stand up to anything it seems...
Reply Quote
100 Human Mage

*looks at the fan-poll where Vol'jin beat Basic Campfire*

It's something to consider. I don't think it's dispositive, but it will make things go a whole lot easier for whoever succeeds Garrosh.

Mind you, I prefer Vol'jin myself over the alternatives just because he's level headed, rational, pragmatic, and a Troll the alliance can cut deals with. It won't be a love in. Doesn't need to be.
Reply Quote
100 Troll Hunter
11/16/2012 10:47 AMPosted by Deerde
It's something to consider. I don't think it's dispositive, but it will make things go a whole lot easier for whoever succeeds Garrosh.

It depends on which Orcs we're talking about.

Are we talking about level-headed Orcs, like Saurfang, Thrall, the mushroom vendor, so on? They should have no problems following a non-Orc Warchief.

Are we talking about new-generation Orcs who have been supporting Garrosh? Most of them are going to be dead (The Siege needs trash mobs), and if you bend to their will, you'll just have another warmonger on the throne.
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
Just going to say now. I never was a Troll lover but Vol'Jin definitely has my attention. Voodoo ness or not he's a good man.
Reply Quote
26 Worgen Hunter
Orgrimmar was built with the combined effort of the Darkspear and the orcs. After the Echo Isles were lost, those trolls came and helped build the city (The Valley of Spirits). Increasingly, the Tauren have secured themselves a place in the city (Valley of Wisdom). The orcs have always held sway in the Valley of Strength and Honor. Even the Goblins have a place in the Goblin Slums. Give Forsaken the Cleft of Shadow and the Blood Elves a section of the city and it's a true representation of the entire Horde, not just an orcish capitol.

Stormwind kind of had this as well before the Cataclysm, but still to a degree. The gnomes and dwarves of the Dwarven district, the Night Elves and the Park until it was destroyed.

The thing is, whereas Stormwind is locked in as a very much so human city, Orgrimmar has more room to change. It has aspects of nearly every race within the Horde and it probably wouldn't take a lot of work to play up the leaders race through slight changes to the architecture of the city.
Reply Quote
100 Troll Shaman
11/16/2012 01:28 PMPosted by Rudox
The thing is, whereas Stormwind is locked in as a very much so human city, Orgrimmar has more room to change. It has aspects of nearly every race within the Horde and it probably wouldn't take a lot of work to play up the leaders race through slight changes to the architecture of the city.

Depending on whether or not Orgrimmar gets a facelift after the Siege, there may be even more room for updating the city in a more Vol'jin-y look.

I often vouch for the current Grommash Hold to be trashed, but there's the question of where the Warchief might sit afterwards. The Troll chunk of the Valley of Spirits is very much an out of the way slum at the moment, with no obvious place to put a throne room (remember, it'll need to be able to accommodate a raid group for the "For the Alliance" achievement), and the Valley of Wisdom is Tauren town now.

Again, depending on the damage to the city, we could get a different visual theme going for the city (though I'd argue it still needs to feel vaguely orcish), were Vol'jin Warchief. The Darkspear are (or were in WC3, at any rate) expert masons, right? There are quarries and stone nearby. Replace the wooden towers with stone, reduce the need for Night Elf wood and focus on more local materials.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Hunter
if he wasn't committed to living in the wild and outland, Rexxar would for sure be the best choice. No problems from the Orc's considering he's half Orc and what he did to help secure Durotar. No complaints from Vol'jin considering Rexxar helped Vol'jin when the humans attacked the Echo Isles. No complaints from Baine considering he rescued him and returned him to his father. The forsaken and Blood Elves honestly don't have much of a say in things anyways since they're located on a different continent. He's cool with Chen Stormstout which is nice considering were in the midst of MoP. He's half Ogre which could bring about the possibility of a new race for the horde in a future expansion, although i personally wouldn't really like Ogres on my team, they're down right buffoons. Lastly, he is quite literally the Champion of the Horde, and a lot more level headed then Garrosh ever was, so he'd be perfect. Although I wish Sylvannas would be warcheif so we could be EVIL.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
11/16/2012 02:46 PMPosted by Nutzo
if he wasn't committed to living in the wild and outland, Rexxar would for sure be the best choice. No problems from the Orc's considering he's half Orc and what he did to help secure Durotar. No complaints from Vol'jin considering Rexxar helped Vol'jin when the humans attacked the Echo Isles. No complaints from Baine considering he rescued him and returned him to his father. The forsaken and Blood Elves honestly don't have much of a say in things anyways since they're located on a different continent. He's cool with Chen Stormstout which is nice considering were in the midst of MoP. He's half Ogre which could bring about the possibility of a new race for the horde in a future expansion, although i personally wouldn't really like Ogres on my team, they're down right buffoons. Lastly, he is quite literally the Champion of the Horde, and a lot more level headed then Garrosh ever was, so he'd be perfect. Although I wish Sylvannas would be warcheif so we could be EVIL.

Yeah I don't think you Hordies would like that.
Reply Quote
1 Blood Elf Rogue

He doesn't actually accomplish much. He's rallied forces against the Zul's, and that's good, but that still consisted mostly of sending a few emissaries out. He won back the Echo Islands, but not until Garrosh forced him into doing it after years of being idle. Most of his work experience consists of him sitting on his duff near Thrall.

Vol'jin really seems like the sort of character who simply does not act unless absolutely necessary. It's neat in that it sort of makes him the anti-Garrosh, but not necessarily in a good way because it comes off more as lethargic than patient.

I just don't find anything particularly impressive in there.
Reply Quote
11/16/2012 05:45 PMPosted by Aureus
He doesn't actually accomplish much. He's rallied forces against the Zul's, and that's good, but that still consisted mostly of sending a few emissaries out. He won back the Echo Islands, but not until Garrosh forced him into doing it after years of being idle. Most of his work experience consists of him sitting on his duff near Thrall.

Garrosh didn't force Vol'jin to get back the Echo Isles. The Echo Isles were reclaimed when Thrall was Warchief before Thrall had to leave.
Reply Quote
100 Troll Hunter
He won back the Echo Islands, but not until Garrosh forced him into doing it after years of being idle.

That's not true. Vol'jin retook the Echo Isles of his own accord.

He's rallied forces against the Zul's, and that's good, but that still consisted mostly of sending a few emissaries out.

Never mind that he personally led the assault into Zul'Aman, and personally went to Booty Bay and secured their aid against Zul'Gurub.

And now, he's going to Pandaria to confront Garrosh in his face again, with the intentions of 'keeping him in check.'
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
Never mind that he personally led the assault into Zul'Aman, and personally went to Booty Bay and secured their aid against Zul'Gurub.

And now, he's going to Pandaria to confront Garrosh in his face again, with the intentions of 'keeping him in check.'

Yeah, he's certainly proactive. This is no bash against Vol'Jin. I wouldn't have the balls to stand up to Garrosh at this point at least as a Hordie. I'd be scared for my loved ones my family and friends.

Now if I had all the talents my character did which I would I'd be able to handle it but...Garrosh..is if you're not clever or at least smart you'll end up dead.

"Kissing frogs." When I saw that I was like ".....I can feel the hostility here...and it's hot!"
Reply Quote
62 Worgen Death Knight
The Tauren, trolls, and blood elves would form an alliance, orcs and undead would go against it. a war would break out between them all, and either some races would have a story change and go into depression, or be completely wiped out.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]