A Question on Approaching MoP Heroic Dungeons

90 Dwarf Death Knight
I'd foremost like to say that I love tanking, and that its really the role that I like do. I also consider myself a fairly good tank in terms of how I know the rotation and such. Nobody has really complained about my tanking in normal dungeons.

I would like to begin tanking heroic dungeons as soon as I can, however I really don't know the fights all that much. How can I get tanking experience to get to know the fights better without getting booted for mistakes that I might make? Any suggestions on how I can approach tanking the heroic dungeon fights would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks! :)
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
11/16/2012 08:42 AMPosted by Semiheroic
How can I get tanking experience to get to know the fights better without getting booted for mistakes that I might make? Any suggestions on how I can approach tanking the heroic dungeon fights would be greatly appreciated.

Brazenly. With a reckless disregard for the lives of your fellow party members.

Really, most of the mechanics either aren't very threatening for the tank, or are very obviously bad and should be avoided. As long as you're fairly observant, you'll be fine just jumping right in.
Reply Quote
39 Worgen Warlock
Best way to learn how to do it is to charge in, screw up a lot and keep trying anyway.

There are guides for the fights and their mechanics but for tanking in general, just do it. Find out what your priority systems are (I find it helpful to arrange my buttons on my bar in the order in which they are most used/the priority system runs, or at least cluster them together) and just whip out them guns and go a blazin'.

Screw the haters. Let 'em hate. Everyone's new at some time. Have a blast with it and figure out what works.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
11/16/2012 09:03 AMPosted by Nerfheals
Brazenly.

Exactly this.

If you're new to the dungeon it's a good idea to mention it at the beginning in party chat. Mostly you'll find people are helpful.

However, if you have people in your group that live down to the gamer stereotype and are being arrogant, self-righteous douchebags, I've found the most effective response is a simple "f^&* you" typed in party chat. Don't let yourself be bullied.

If they continue to be rude and unhelpful and you end up getting booted they've done you a favor.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I like one of three ways from best to worst (my opinion only).

1) Run with guildies.

(should say...my guild is very close. Some of us have been raiding together since kara. I think a couple were even raiding together in vanilla).

2) If I haven't run it before sometimes Ill go in as dps or heals just to see what the deal is.

3) Tell the truth.

I've been in dungeons where the tank says "Hey, this is my first time here." Usually..like 95% of the time, the group response is "cool. we'll let you know what you need to know."

It's usually only when the guy who clearly has no idea whats going on and just pretends he's gods gift that people get annoyed.
Edited by Jaxzer on 11/16/2012 11:07 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Warrior
Most "bad stuff" in MoP is very easy to see, so as long as your eyes are open, you can avoid things like avoidable cone/AoE damage, fire on the ground, etc.

Open up your Dungeon Journal. Look for the shield icon that means it's a "tank warning" so you can be aware of big damaging abilities that can kill you.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
11/16/2012 09:26 AMPosted by Rijdot
Best way to learn how to do it is to charge in, screw up a lot and keep trying anyway.

This. You can't learn your limits until you hit the brick wall that screams NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! and then you skirt that line as often as you can being successful. And then you tempt fate the next day to see if the line moved or not...

Push hard enough and eventually you'll be able to stop thinking about what is exactly going on just with you and you can look at the DPS and Healer and see what they're doing. Get to where you can do your job and watch them do well (or fail) at their job and adjust appropriately and you'll be well on your way to becoming a good Tank.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Semi,

It looks like you have run the normals, from the looks of your armor.

The Heroics are a bit heavier on adds and some Bosses have more HP but otherwise, it's pretty much the same stuff.

Make sure you are chanted (gems not so much needed at your iLv). Have some food ready. Make sure your skin is thick. As others said, make an announcement up front. "1st time here...someone point the way" is usually enough.

Have fun...it's a game, right?

/Salute your journey.
Reply Quote
39 Worgen Warlock
Remember, gear's impact (gems, enchants, reforges) is minimal compared to play. That's not to say you shouldn't maximize your gear - that 5%-10% can make the difference between success and failure - but if things aren't going well, gear probably isn't the primary factor.

Focus on how to play now, focus on how to gear later.
Edited by Rijdot on 11/16/2012 12:43 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
You can only learn how to avoid mistakes by making mistakes.

So don't be afraid to derp it up in there. The worst that can happen is someone cries about it.

Learn to drink those tears. Let them nourish you. And grow stronger and more powerful.

MUWAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
11/16/2012 09:30 AMPosted by Hruodland
[quote="71668418156"]Brazenly.

Pretty much.

I went in blind on every single heroic.

As stated by other if you pay attention boss mechanics are easy to figure out on the fly.

The trash pulls, just use your best judgement when pulling. If you screw up shrug it off.

You could also run a couple of scenerio's to see if you can acquire some gear thru there before stepping into heroics just to up your ilvl or check AH for cheap gear if feel like you need to. I initially tried to do this but kepted getting 463 DPS gear then said Eff it and qued for a heroic.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Shaman
Heroic dungeons aren't "heroic" any more. They are just lvl 90 versions of regular dungeons. So tank them the same way you tanked all the dungeons up till 90.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
11/16/2012 09:03 AMPosted by Nerfheals
Brazenly

QFT

There are only two things you need to know as a tank going into an encounter:

1. Aggro everything
2. Try not to stand yourself or your target(s) in things on the ground

Everything else is just fine print.
Reply Quote
29 Pandaren Monk
just watch videos on youtube to give you an idea. honestly if you have dbm installed 90% of the boss mechanics can be avoided by using your head.

only a few bosses in heroic actually cause wipes. Armsmaster Harlan in scarlet halls is really the only boss i've seen a group die on and that's because the healer/tank gets caught in his whirlwind ability. maybe Raigonn if no one knows what to do.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
http://icy-veins.com/dungeons-wow has summaries for all of the dungeon boss fights. Aside from Armsmaster Harlan in SH, Raigonn in GotSS, and Taran Zhu in SPM, most are pretty tank-and-spank. On Pa'valek in Siege of Niuzao, it really helps to have the DPS bomb the boss/adds, you should aim to get the Return to Sender achieve in every group. :D

A lot of tanks are nervous about moving up to heroics, and I agree that queuing with at least one person helps a lot. Yeah, you don't need a lot of gear, I've accidentally tanked a couple in my holy set, but the combination of lesser gear and unfamiliarity with the fights/damage patterns does tend to make new tanks a little squishier. If you like, you can send me an in-game mail with your Battletag, and I'll come heal a couple for you to get you off on the right foot.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]