Why would you think we would stop using evo?

90 Worgen Mage
https://twitter.com/Ghostcrawler/status/262253039073763328

Eyliria asks: "Did the mage change to Invocation not make it in this last PTR patch?"
Ghostcrawler replies: "not sure we're going to change it. Mages might stop evocating ever."

I fail to see his logic there unless raid encounters are going to under 40 seconds in length. The proposed change would have eliminated "prevocating", but mages would still have to cast Evocation to get the buff back up after the initial 40 seconds.

The only reason I can think of is that GC thinks that mages might try to cheese the mechanic through mana gems/arcane torrent/etc. This could be prevented with one small addition. Design it so a mage has to complete an evocation or remain at 100% mana for 5 (10?) seconds in order to receive the buff.
Reply Quote
I only wish we could stop using evo, ever. It's time to take this old horse to the back, shoot it, and send it to the glue factory. It has not aged well.
Reply Quote
MVP - World of Warcraft
90 Human Mage
If you read GC's tweets on the subject, he speaks with pretty clear certainty about an observed effect. The reasonable conclusion to draw is that this is what they saw happen during internal testing.
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Mage
Pretty simple. 10 Charge Mana Gem, Instant Evo Tick, and other mana tricks were all enough to keep the buff rolling without every having to actually fully complete an Evo after the first. This isn't surprising at all, though i do wish they would come up with something else to improve our lvl 90 talents.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Mage
11/16/2012 11:22 AMPosted by Lhivera
If you read GC's tweets on the subject, he speaks with pretty clear certainty about an observed effect. The reasonable conclusion to draw is that this is what they saw happen during internal testing.

Oh, ok. I did not see any of the other tweets on the subject. I could see how the talent could be problematic in pvp (fire) where one could use scorch and other low-to-free mana spells to keep the buff up.

I do believe that my suggested addendum would help alleviate the problem of keeping evo relevant and not too imbalanced for pvp.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage

So they won't improve it because it would be better than the other options? I have to admit I found the tweet to be less than succinct.
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
CFT
11/16/2012 06:41 PMPosted by Gloridhel

So they won't improve it because it would be better than the other options? I have to admit I found the tweet to be less than succinct.

That's funny, it already is better than the other options because RoP sucks so hard and IW just flat out drops your DPS unless you want to stand in bad (though it's better than Invo on some fights, like Garalon if you have to kite, similar to Scorch being better than PoM on specific fights)

Maybe if they, idk, buffed the other two... >_>;
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
I find it hillarious that all Hybrid casters get infinate mana for just doing their rotations while mages and warlocks still have to lifetap and evocate...... and cant use spirit gear.... and dont get access to healing spells...... and why are we still playing pures again?
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
CFT
11/18/2012 03:19 AMPosted by Thanatosia
I find it hillarious that all Hybrid casters get infinate mana for just doing their rotations while mages and warlocks still have to lifetap and evocate...... and cant use spirit gear.... and dont get access to healing spells...... and why are we still playing pures again?

Well technically only Arcane still has to evo, and Fire/Frost only if you pick Invo.

The spirit gear issue PISSES ME OFF to no end. I don't understand why they don't make Spell Hit = Spirit and just remove Hit on Intellect gear. This would make it so many more rings, necklaces, and cloth gear would have Spirit on it, which removes a few of the clutter pieces.

Well Warlocks and Mages to top ST DPS, so they figure "Well, since you're top on the meters, you get no spirit gear and have to deal with mana" or something. Idk, it's really dumb. Not to mention Mages have ZERO raid utility (Besides Time Warp, which 2 other classes can bring anyways), and Warlocks have very limited utility (a battle rez and lockrocks, as well as the portal thing). My level 86 ENH Shaman though, he has soooooooo much. Maelstrom proccs, Tier 5 talent raid-wide heal, few other things like offheals and whatnot. Priests and Boomkins bring a crapton more as well. It really is bull.
Edited by Pewpewblast on 11/18/2012 1:11 PM PST
Reply Quote
100 Undead Priest
11/18/2012 01:09 PMPosted by Pewpewblast

Well technically only Arcane still has to evo, and Fire/Frost only if you pick Invo.

The spirit gear issue PISSES ME OFF to no end. I don't understand why they don't make Spell Hit = Spirit and just remove Hit on Intellect gear. This would make it so many more rings, necklaces, and cloth gear would have Spirit on it, which removes a few of the clutter pieces.

Well Warlocks and Mages to top ST DPS, so they figure "Well, since you're top on the meters, you get no spirit gear and have to deal with mana" or something. Idk, it's really dumb. Not to mention Mages have ZERO raid utility (Besides Time Warp, which 2 other classes can bring anyways), and Warlocks have very limited utility (a battle rez and lockrocks, as well as the portal thing). My level 86 ENH Shaman though, he has soooooooo much. Maelstrom proccs, Tier 5 talent raid-wide heal, few other things like offheals and whatnot. Priests and Boomkins bring a crapton more as well. It really is bull.

You do realize that spirit has absolutely nothing to do with in combat mana regen as a dps right?

And if you really want to have to compete with all other dps casters AND healers for loot, be my guest. Right now hit/crit gear tends to go to mages, and hit/mastery to locks, but any spirit gear is always a battle with all healers.

Sometimes more gear options just means more competition for an item. Its not nearly as awesome as QQ mages and locks sometimes try to paint it.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior

If you read GC's tweets it becomes pretty obvious pretty quickly that he knows very little about wow.

Apparently he thinks that silencing an enhance shaman is the same as disarming a mage.

And apparently he thinks that Hungering cold was a stun.

Just terrible.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
And if you really want to have to compete with all other dps casters AND healers for loot, be my guest. Right now hit/crit gear tends to go to mages, and hit/mastery to locks, but any spirit gear is always a battle with all healers.

Did you know that there is only one non-spirit int ring (and it's unique-equiped) and zero non-spirit int necklaces in all of Heart of Fear and Terrace of Spring. That means Mages and Warlocks are perminately at an Ilv handicap compaired to spirit users for those 2 slots.

Kind of like how Dragonsoul offered no heroic Necklaces or Offhands for nonspirit casters.

Or how Bastion/BWD/4winds had no heroic ilv wands for nonspirit casters.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
11/18/2012 08:32 PMPosted by Dreadvg

If you read GC's tweets it becomes pretty obvious pretty quickly that he knows very little about wow.

Apparently he thinks that silencing an enhance shaman is the same as disarming a mage.

And apparently he thinks that Hungering cold was a stun.

Just terrible.

Kind of makes you wonder why he is still the lead dev.
Reply Quote
100 Goblin Rogue
11/19/2012 03:26 AMPosted by Halphas
Kind of makes you wonder why he is still the lead dev.

my guess is that the board of directors find amusement when he talks about coral and seaweed at investor meetings while drooling into his own palm
Reply Quote
100 Human Warlock
Did you know that there is only one non-spirit int ring (and it's unique-equiped) and zero non-spirit int necklaces in all of Heart of Fear and Terrace of Spring. That means Mages and Warlocks are perminately at an Ilv handicap compaired to spirit users for those 2 slots.

And as a result, Mages and Warlocks will be well below Shadow Priests, Boomkins, and Elemental Shamans.
Reply Quote
90 Human Monk
and Elemental Shamans.

Not even close. I really can't remember a time when Ele beat either locks or mages. Ever.
Reply Quote
100 Goblin Warlock
11/19/2012 08:40 AMPosted by Monica
and Elemental Shamans.

Not even close. I really can't remember a time when Ele beat either locks or mages. Ever.

Early ICC for a fact. All 3 lock specs were the lowest caster in early ICC before they buffed affliction mostly.
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
CFT
11/18/2012 07:36 PMPosted by Spinalcrack

You do realize that spirit has absolutely nothing to do with in combat mana regen as a dps right?

Sometimes more gear options just means more competition for an item. Its not nearly as awesome as QQ mages and locks sometimes try to paint it.

What, are you joking? Anything w/o spirit is free game for all casters. Hell I just lost a Hit Crit cloak to a boomkin. No one only allows Hit stuff to go to Mages/Locks.

Spirit as combat regen? When the hell did I talk about that?
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
CFT
11/18/2012 08:32 PMPosted by Dreadvg

With how quickly he escaped the Mage L90 talents issue by just pulling the best change ever and not really responding to us about it, it's clear that your quote is getting truer and truer.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Mage
you guys are dumb evo isnt about mana at all its our first line save our butts spell there isnt anything in thegame besides have a dam healer with us that saves our butts like a glyphed evo why thehell remove it it was the 1 reason we could solo quest content first you guys steal our second shield that totally messed us up screwed us up then you take away our heal wtf is wrong with you people jesus were glass cannons ie we hit hard and get 2 shotted by !@#$ i really dont want to go running back from the grave ever time i do a dailys becouse everthing now has aoe on it so when we try to pull 1 mob we get 10 and our aoe that we do have are complete %^-* theres no reason why my arcane explosion should only do 10k a shot with a i level of 461 when mobs have 130k hp thats 13 shots even in fire were going to be out of mana after 13 shots and die and know ya all hate how powerful we were but jesus why not give a a pointy hat that we pull rabbits out of and hang out in town doing party trick for silver
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]