Should WoW have more epic cut-scenes

90 Gnome Warlock
...and trailers?

A friend shared this link. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=39j5v8jlndM

Now, this is not a post intended to debate FFXIV vs WoW. As a matter of fact, I being a Mac user, have never had to opportunity to play the game.

Watching the trailer, I was completely blown away to the point of tears. The interaction between the music and the scenes is incredible.

However, more than that, what was happening mattered. I watched as people looked up in the sky wondering what was happening. When you saw the destruction happen, you felt something because you knew their were people in the city.

But more than that, you had the characters reacting emotionally to what was going on. There was a real sense of connection to the event being shown. In addition, the heroes lost.

Watching the trailer for Cataclysm, I was struck that you never saw people. Thinking back, I feel that was what was missing, I never really felt a connection to the cut scenes. Moving forward to this expansion, I am starting to feel the some sense of disconnection

So my questions to the community are, should Blizzard spend a bit more time on their cut scenes to make them more polished. What could Blizzard do to invoke an emotional response from the players with cut-scenes and trailers?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Epic gameplay? Yes.

Cut scenes? No.

I play games to play. I skip every cut scene I encounter unless it's one of those game where I have to follow the story to know what to do next.

When I want to watch, I watch videos.
Reply Quote
11/16/2012 04:54 AMPosted by Helayne
Watching the trailer for Cataclysm, I was struck that you never saw people.

Watch it again. Especially when Deathwing is having his armor put on him.
Reply Quote
89 Tauren Hunter
WoW generally has great trailers, and I enjoy the occasional cutscenes. However, a company (any company) can go overboard with the cutscene thing. This happened with Cataclysm; it seemed like there was a long damn cutscene every three minutes. It got old.

That said, Square has always made excellent trailers and cutscenes. Their work is top-notch.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
Saw a thread like this yesterday.

Too many cutscenes.

Cinematics are reserved for the final boss of the expansion, and CGI Cinematics are for the beginning of the expansion.

If they became more frequent, what would make them so special?
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
I have never played Final Fantasy, no real interest BUT the scene was inspiring and yes made you feel as if you are a part of an event.

Wow wise, I personaly enjoy the cut scenes particularly when they involve my character and the NPC's involved in said quest line and help fill in some blanks lore wise.

Coming from a player perspective who has not read the books and is missing large chunks of lore, cut scenes can have the ability to "tell the story" at least be a mini story if you will.

I used to play more from a "take the quest, race off to collect x, kill y" and promptly turn in said quest rarely reading the text of each quest, in cata to a degree and now always in mysts, I make it a point to read the text, to let myself be drawn into the cut scenes and from a lore stand perspective, it helps fill in some blanks, wish there were more of them.

Cut scenes are fantasic but can be made much more so when they include your character and the NPC's involved AND include psuedo (unsure how to really word it) characters meaning potential characters also questing around you, cut scenes should tell a mini story with a beginning, a middle and an end.

I have no clue how many books there are on World of Warcraft, am guessing at minimum several so reading all would take some time and from a player who has not read any, can be a daunting thought on exactly where to start so well made cut scenes that help tell the story can really add dimension to a players perspective.

Rather wish there were cut scenes/mini stories players could go and watch that would take us back to the roots of Warcraft, if there is I will admit I have no clue where to start, before anyone says "google is yr friend" well it is also an enemy when you type ina word and get multiple pages to search thru.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
Saw a thread like this yesterday.

Too many cutscenes.

Cinematics are reserved for the final boss of the expansion, and CGI Cinematics are for the beginning of the expansion.

If they became more frequent, what would make them so special?

This is true, however you also have to take into considerations the resources that go into making these things. At the Blizzcon in which the Cataclysm cinematic was first released (can't remember if it was 2009 or 2010), they had a cinematics panel. The creaters of WoW's cinematics said that the Cataclysm cinematic took nearly an entire year to create, and it was only, what, three minutes long?

They're just too expensive and too time consuming do create any more than what we already get.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Warlock
Watching the trailer for Cataclysm, I was struck that you never saw people.

Watch it again. Especially when Deathwing is having his armor put on him.

True, you see a few people in shadow who are there hammering on DW unil he knocks all the scaffolding down. However, I was more struck by was not being shown in the world.

No goblins running for cover in Booty Bay. No tauren fleeing from the deluge in Thousand Needles. No night elves reacting to the approach of a large flaming dragon upon their port. Hell, Deathwing landed right in the middle of Stormwind and we don't see one human reaction shot.

Basically, the world was portrayed as unpopulated geography and buildings. But, that is all water under the bridge as this is a new expansion.

My argument is that we should have events shown to us so they have an impact. I want to feel a stronger emotional response than "Oh, the horde are beating up some pandarens."

I want to see pandarens running for their lives. I want to see burning buildings. I want to see crying children. I want to see a cut scene that makes me have a reason to care.

We can have great game play all we want but if there is no player connection to what are characters are experiencing and seeing we might as well be playing the Legend of Zelda.
Edited by Helayne on 11/17/2012 8:11 AM PST
Reply Quote
No cut scenes of any kind. They are terrible.

As seen with Dragon soul, it takes away the actual feeling of the instance.

11/16/2012 05:19 AMPosted by Buffyumyum
I play games to play

^
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Rogue
Personally I got burnt out by the cut scenes in Cataclysm, especially Uldum. There were just too many for my tastes and they always seemed to be interrupting the action instead of complimenting it. I used to get annoyed by the ones that I couldn't skip.

As far as cinematics, same thing kind of. I always feel that its kind of lame and a letdown when we watch some photo realistic movie about the game that we're playing and then as soon as it's over I'm back in a pixelated cartoon world.
Edited by Jawaka on 11/17/2012 8:20 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Cinematics are PART OF THE GAME. It is an MMORPG. However, when there are to many in same time (like in Uldum), I pass them.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Rogue
11/17/2012 08:21 AMPosted by Aeoden
Cinematics are PART OF THE GAME. It is an MMORPG. However, when there are to many in same time (like in Uldum), I pass them.

This. Cutscenes can enhance the storytelling when done right, but they can be obnoxious when overdone. I feel MoP hit a good sweet spot (so far).
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]