expertise cap

90 Draenei Paladin
11/17/2012 08:59 PMPosted by Ðemolition
I don't need to be hard capped to be able to do heroic content or progress.

You also don't need to know what you're doing.

Welcome to tanking, enjoy the carry.

Did you see someone else berate someone on the forums, think they were a cool kid, then decide you wanted to be like them? Because holy crap you are an idiot. You are talking down to someone more progressed than you are now. What's it like to be so braindead you can only parrot what someone on the internet said, and be completely incapable of accepting there's more than one way to solve a problem?

Theck can theorycraft and simulate all he wants, but until people play perfectly and have 100% uptime for the available active mitigation stuff, people are always gonna perform worse than the theory predicts. So no matter what, there's a function of skill that determines the amount of damage you take, and until Theck proves there's an encounter where not being expertise capped or getting maximum HoPo generation makes success impossible, people can find other ways to win.

Playing optimally has simply never been necessary. All that matters is playing well enough you win. There have been many clever, even lazy, solutions to encounters by too many guilds too count. Given how fast heroics have been cleared, I doubt this tier is any different.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin

Did you see someone else berate someone on the forums, think they were a cool kid, then decide you wanted to be like them? Because holy crap you are an idiot. You are talking down to someone more progressed than you are now. What's it like to be so braindead you can only parrot what someone on the internet said, and be completely incapable of accepting there's more than one way to solve a problem?

Theck can theorycraft and simulate all he wants, but until people play perfectly and have 100% uptime for the available active mitigation stuff, people are always gonna perform worse than the theory predicts. So no matter what, there's a function of skill that determines the amount of damage you take, and until Theck proves there's an encounter where not being expertise capped or getting maximum HoPo generation makes success impossible, people can find other ways to win.

Playing optimally has simply never been necessary. All that matters is playing well enough you win. There have been many clever, even lazy, solutions to encounters by too many guilds too count. Given how fast heroics have been cleared, I doubt this tier is any different.

I am not sure what your saying.

Are you saying that Demo means that you dont need to be "right" in your gearing strategy to succeed? Aren't you saying that as well?

Are you saying that Theck is wrong? and until its proven that you cant be successful raiding unless you do it thecks way you can do it how ever you want?

Are you saying I am wrong? because i quoted theck when it didn't agree with what a more progressed raider is doing?

I think, what demo is saying...that you may disagree with, apparently, is that just because you managed to be 4/16 heroic with spirit gems...doesnt mean you need spirit gems to be 4/16 heroic.

Of course...i may be wrong :)

Jake
Edited by Jakethetank on 11/18/2012 9:07 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Warrior
Because holy crap you are an idiot. You are talking down to someone more progressed than you are now. What's it like to be so braindead you can only parrot what someone on the internet said

Progression has never mea-

Playing optimally has simply never been necessary. All that matters is playing well enough you win.

Glad to see we're on the same page.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
There isn't one right way.

And not doing it Theck's way does not mean all ways that aren't Theck's way are viable.

The rest...you need to reread Demo's posts.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
11/18/2012 09:11 AMPosted by Ðemolition
Because holy crap you are an idiot. You are talking down to someone more progressed than you are now. What's it like to be so braindead you can only parrot what someone on the internet said

Progression has never mea-

Playing optimally has simply never been necessary. All that matters is playing well enough you win.

Glad to see we're on the same page.

11/17/2012 08:59 PMPosted by Ðemolition

You talk down to people who do things differently. Don't pretend we are on the same page.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin

You talk down to people who do things differently. Don't pretend we are on the same page.

11/18/2012 09:18 AMPosted by Slalin

Excuse me?

You talk down to people who do things differently.

And this.

Don't pretend we are on the same page.

Thats what he said though.

Still don't understand what your trying to say.

jake
Edited by Jakethetank on 11/18/2012 9:37 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin

Excuse me?

You talk down to people who do things differently.

And this.

Don't pretend we are on the same page.

Thats what he said though.

Still don't understand what your trying to say.

jake

I talk down to Demo because he picked a fight with me.

If you can't connect the dots between his implication and "carry", I can't help you.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin

I talk down to Demo because he picked a fight with me.

I dont know what to say to this...have you tried telling him that "sticks and stones" phrase?

if you can't connect the dots between his implication and "carry", I can't help you.

I'm fine thank you for the offer.
Edited by Jakethetank on 11/18/2012 10:10 AM PST
Reply Quote
11/17/2012 01:24 PMPosted by Wrathblood
sausage > bacon

Why, when you can just do sausage+bacon!
Reply Quote
39 Worgen Warlock
Such a waste going for hard cap.

Waste of stats. Better to go with what you feel is what you need to feel comfortable with survivability.

I'm not going to reforge out of my defensive stats to get a measly couple % in.

You honestly don't know the value of it.

Don't downtalk something you don't understand.

11/18/2012 08:28 AMPosted by Slalin
Theck can theorycraft and simulate all he wants, but until people play perfectly and have 100% uptime for the available active mitigation stuff, people are always gonna perform worse than the theory predicts

This is a silly statement and only shows how little you understand about the active mitigation system. It also assumes that the amount of passive stats you can obtain by forgoing maximization of your holy power generation will make up the difference, at least to a significant enough degree to matter. That's a pretty huge assumption to make.

You're not going to have 100% uptime if you're not a monk. Ever. Active mitigation is about utilizing it when you most need it. Keeping it at 5 HP all the time just in case is a waste. Burning HP the instant you get it all the time every time is also a waste.

Tank damage fluctuates, and you need to be able to prepare/react accordingly. Theck's theorycrafting suggests the most effective method of handling your damage intake.

If you're succeeding without playing to the best of your ability, you ARE being carried. You are forcing other players to make up for your inability to play. If you don't time your ShoR to coincide with that second or third Overwhelming Strike, you're forcing your healers to heal you harder, possibly external you, among other things.

That's the definition of being carried.

The End.
Edited by Rijdot on 11/18/2012 11:57 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
If you're succeeding without playing to the best of your ability, you ARE being carried. You are forcing other players to make up for your inability to play.

Wouldn't that make the entire raid fit that description of being carried? Especially in less than stellar groups. The whole raid is carrying the whole raid?
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Warrior
Wouldn't that make the entire raid fit that description of being carried? Especially in less than stellar groups. The whole raid is carrying the whole raid?
Being carried is when you deliberately play less than optimally.

Also:
11/18/2012 08:28 AMPosted by Slalin
You are talking down to someone more progressed than you are now.

Bahahahahahahahahahahaha.
-----
Combat tables, diminishing returns and you!
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/2489160859
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I'm hardcapped without racial o.o

Ghost Iron Dragonling
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Warrior

Ghost Iron Dragonling

You are not! Just... almost.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin

Ghost Iron Dragonling

You are not! Just... almost.

Armory might not have been updated at the time to account for reforging my new cloak, I am at 15.00% Expertise (exactly 5100 rating), 7.72% Hit (2626 Rating).
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
Dawnblade's Chestguard will give you a boost toward reaching the caps. Additionally the gem sockets and socket bonus is the same as the tanking version.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Being carried is when you deliberately play less than optimally.

Being carried is when you take yourself, clone 9 or 24 of you (xmute your gear to the spec u need) and realise that you would not have cleared the content.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
Are people seriously engaging in a semantic argument about carrying now?

I mean, is that what all the cool kids are doing?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
11/19/2012 11:21 PMPosted by Lowmaine
Are people seriously engaging in a semantic argument

This is a forum.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]