What would you think of a same sex couple?

90 Human Mage
By that I don't mean Blizzard shipping two already existing characters, when there is no lore basis for them being gay/bi. I'm talking about putting in a a couple of new characters, who already are. It's something I would like to see. I think it would be cool to know that some of the people of the WoW universe has the same feelings as their earthly counterpart. I'd like to see them do it via a quest line, something like this.

You go to a new zone/quest hub, and you come across a quest giver. She asks you if you'll do her a favor, and then tells you a bout a friend of her's with whom she is no longer on speaking terms. She asks if you'll act as medium, and bring her friend a letter and a bouquet of flowers. As the quests progress, you find out why they broke up, and try to mend the relationship. Eventually, you get them back to together and then ride off into the sunset with your shiny quest rewards.

What do you think?
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
I wouldn't care. People shouldn't care. As to why Blizz won't do it, between the inevitable drama, and the lack of quality and interest in romance stories, I doubt they'd please anyone with it. Blizzard is barely good at writing the straight ones.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
I wouldn't care, personally.
Reply Quote
Shrug.

Blizz, as a corporation, strikes me as being a tolerant bunch. If they don't do this, it is for strictly business and marketing reasons. They've got a large customer base, and significant portions of it aren't ready to go there.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
In the way it's shown wouldn't mind. Making a character out of nowhere gay(Again don't hate gays) That would annoy me because it's bad writing.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
Eh. I'm torn. On one hand my favorite Warcraft character is implied to be a lesbian (Maiev), but on the other hand, I'm not a fan of romance taking center stage in the Warcraft setting.

If these characters are attracted to the same gende, great, but I don't want to do a whole quest about getting them to date. I hate quests like that - even with same-sex characters- because first off I don't play WoW to act as a mailman or glorified Cyrano, and two, I just don't really think the Warcraft setting is the place for romance in general. I'm just as against the Thrall/Aggra pairing as I am any same-sex couple.
Edited by Omacron on 11/16/2012 7:21 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
11/16/2012 07:20 PMPosted by Omacron
but I don't want to do a whole quest about getting them to date

Fact: Pre-Cata, there was a beta where the player played as match-maker for Thrall. You had the choice of hooking him up with either Jaina, Tyrande, and Sylvanas. Metzen chosed Aggra. More junk in the trunk.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
Eh. I'm torn. On one hand my favorite Warcraft character is implied to be a lesbian (Maiev), but on the other hand, I'm not a fan of romance taking center stage in the Warcraft setting.

If these characters are attracted to the same gende, great, but I don't want to do a whole quest about getting them to date. I hate quests like that - even with same-sex characters- because first off I don't play WoW to act as a mailman or glorified Cyrano, and two, I just don't really think the Warcraft setting is the place for romance in general. I'm just as against the Thrall/Aggra pairing as I am any same-sex couple.

.....Again disagree. Romance has it's place, except when us players are involved. If we're helping in the romance it's bad. Now if it's in the backround it's fine. Romance happens in any fantasy.
Reply Quote
Star's Rest in Dragonsblight has implied !@#$%^-*!@ity to it. It's also seen in Silvermoon City during the Winter Veil.

I only recall doing a couple of quests that involve couples, and they're both Alliance only. There might be a blood elf romance quest somewhere, but damned if I remember.
Reply Quote
11/16/2012 07:24 PMPosted by Noitora
but I don't want to do a whole quest about getting them to date

Fact: Pre-Cata, there was a beta where the player played as match-maker for Thrall. You had the choice of hooking him up with either Jaina, Tyrande, and Sylvanas. Metzen chosed Aggra. More junk in the trunk.

Lol. For real?
Reply Quote
Star's Rest in Dragonsblight has implied !@#$%^-*!@ity to it. It's also seen in Silvermoon City during the Winter Veil.

I only recall doing a couple of quests that involve couples, and they're both Alliance only. There might be a blood elf romance quest somewhere, but damned if I remember.

I personally believe that Velen and KJ had a bromance that went bad, but don't believe for a second that Blizz would ever make this explicit.
Reply Quote
It wouldn't bother me.

To be honest I'm waiting for Anren Shadowseeker and Tholo Whitehoof to just admit it already.
Reply Quote

I personally believe that Velen and KJ had a bromance that went bad, but don't believe for a second that Blizz would ever make this explicit.

Yeah, I can see that.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
Romance happens in hokey fantasy.

Fixed that for you.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
11/16/2012 07:37 PMPosted by Omacron
Romance happens in hokey fantasy.

Fixed that for you.

No, don't fix my posts. It happens in fantasy, Warcraft may not have a lot of it but even in times of war people come together.
Edited by Lorthuron on 11/16/2012 7:42 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
I'm all for it, I'd eventually like to see Anduin be gay. I've just always felt like he would be the perfect character for it. But I can see why they wouldn't choose him, being a Priest and all.

My only beef with gaming industries doing same-sex couples, is it's usually for the male player base, so they pair two women together, because it's every guy's fantasy to have two hot females go at it.

If Blizzard were to do one, I'd like it to be two males.
Reply Quote
BTW, GW2 I believe has a questline rather similar to what the OP suggests and even pulled it off tastefully.
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage

I kind of agree, but romances will end up in video games no matter what. In my suggestion, I was going more for the angle that you are helping them reconcile the past issue that caused them to break up, not playing cupid for a couple of NPC's.

I never really saw the NPC in Dragonsblight that way. It just seemed like she was a bit of a goofball and was teasing her morn stern companion.
Reply Quote
11/16/2012 07:52 PMPosted by Marcellena
I never really saw the NPC in Dragonsblight that way. It just seemed like she was a bit of a goofball and was teasing her morn stern companion

Really? I took it as honest flirting. I can see why you would look at it in a different light, though.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Rogue
No, I don't want to attend another "wedding" thing after going through some quests where one half is talking about the other half, even if the half I deal with alternating.

Background, fine. I really don't care. But seriously, I brought down the Lich King, punched Deathwing the face and beat a giant bug to death WITH MY FISTS!! I got better things to do than run love notes back and forth.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]