What would you think of a same sex couple?

90 Night Elf Warrior
I think you brought out the right word Felya. I don't want to see TOKENS. IF they are developing a character, and there's some compelling story reason to refer to that character's references, and it happens to be same sex, I don't have a problem with that. But I don't want to see any tokens.
Reply Quote
11/18/2012 05:54 PMPosted by Eprouvil
I think you brought out the right word Felya. I don't want to see TOKENS. IF they are developing a character, and there's some compelling story reason to refer to that character's references, and it happens to be same sex, I don't have a problem with that. But I don't want to see any tokens.

But honestly, what reason could there possibly be, in a world of dragons and demons, to not only mention that you enjoy having sex with the same sex, but have it be relevant to the plot?
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
11/18/2012 05:57 PMPosted by Omacron
But honestly, what reason could there possibly be, in a world of dragons and demons, to not only mention that you enjoy having sex with the same sex, but have it be relevant to the plot?

A marriage sequence?

Because everyone loved that part of the Thrall quest line.

Not to mention how well the Tyrande/Malfurion wedding was received.
Edited by Kellick on 11/18/2012 6:01 PM PST
Reply Quote
1 Blood Elf Rogue

This. Like I said earlier, almost every time I see this put into a medium like WoW it's at worst exploitative and at best dragging, pointless filler.

Granted, this goes for romance in general in a game like this, but same sex gets a special nod just because some people get this idea that there's some sort of strange moral victory involved in stuffing random gay characters into stuff like this.

Again, the question to ask is "How does this improve the storytelling or direct it in an effective manner?"
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior

A marriage sequence?

It was touching. God forbid we see romance in a torn world.

EDIT: Pointing out I'm straight and would not feel annoyed if there was a same sex marriage noted or not. I also mentioned if they can master straight relationships then I'm good.
Edited by Lorthuron on 11/18/2012 6:02 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Warrior

That was bad because it had no relevance to what we thought we were trying to accomplish in regards to blessing the world tree or whatever.

Wildhammer wedding was a wedding done right.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
11/18/2012 06:04 PMPosted by Eprouvil
Wildhammer wedding was a wedding done right.

When you have Dwarves, it's automaticly done right.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest

Yeah, that's actually the biggest problem here. I'm not sure how you'd fit it into a quest that actually engages player interest. Shoehorning it in will just make the whole thing look like grandstanding, and will reinforce the "token" issue.

It could be something like killing however many local animals to get materials for a marriage ceremony, a la the Alliance Twilight Highlands quests. Those quests weren't very popular, from my understanding, but I think that's more because it was very anticlimactic; having something similar to that in a more low-stakes environment would make like any other line. This could also let them shed some light on the culture in question, the people involved, etc.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Warrior

indeed, the vast majority of the time there won't be a compelling reason
Edited by Eprouvil on 11/18/2012 6:09 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin

Patch 6.6: The Seduction of Sargeras.
Reply Quote
11/18/2012 06:15 PMPosted by Egrem

Patch 6.6: The Seduction of Sargeras.

That's Azshara's action, so not same sex. Although my guess is that Sarg just isn't interested period, he gets his jollies from wrecking universes. Romance just doesn't hold a candle to that.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Look people it's not going to happen blizz makes fun of !@#$-sexuality as much as the next guy. Don't believe me? go do the questline "when deathwing came" or whatever in the badlands and you will see a blood elf as "one of the chicks". Or how about you try the one in un'goro crater where you help the guy save "damsels in distress" where you help a blood elf male get his purse out of the water.

They poke fun at it because it's funny to say blood elf males are pompous feminine gays. Why so many LGBT people are so desperate to plaster their crap in every possible place is just sad. If you want to deal with that stuff go somewhere it might make a difference and don't sit there and try to put it in some game lol.
Edited by Dalorell on 11/18/2012 6:41 PM PST
Reply Quote
The only reason I even remember the Wildhammer quest was because I use it as justification for my roleplay character peppering Yiddish words into his speech.
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage

What about having it play out with a few background characters. Do you remember how during the quest chains in Kunlai/Townlong, you get to watch the story of the Shado-pan members you are accompanying?

Maybe they could do something like that. You quest through a zone with a band of other adventures, and as your progress through the story arc, two of them eventually end up together? It would just add another layer of depth to the story that is unfolding in front of you. Much like the death of Chen's relatives added to the bleakness of questing through the dread wastes.
Reply Quote

The same reason there would be for a different sex plot?

I mean, if you condemn the Thrall/Aggra, Jaina/Arthas, Jaina/Kalecgos, and etc. Plotlines, I guess it's just equal opportunity, but if not, please explain to me how those plotlines would have been worse if, for example, Arthas was Princess of Lordaeron?

There are more Genders and Sexual preferences that just the vanilla, and I see no reason to deprive them of representation in game. Blizzard's p. cliche at romance in general, sure, but I don't see how, say, catching Admiral Rogers sharing a final pre-battle kiss with Amber Keranan, or Nazgrim speaking wistfully about how much he misses being in Saru Steelfury's strong embrace, would be horrible.
Edited by Jaelara on 11/18/2012 7:47 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
11/18/2012 07:34 PMPosted by Jaelara

The same reason there would be for a different sex plot?

I mean, if you condemn the Thrall/Aggra, Jaina/Arthas, Jaina/Kalecgos, and etc. Plotlines, I guess it's just equal opportunity, but if not, please explain to me how those plotlines would have been worse if, for example, Arthas was Princess of Lordaeron?

There are more Genders and Sexual preferences that just the vanilla, and I see no reason to deprive them of representation in game. Blizzard's p. cliche at romance in general, sure, but I don't see how, say, catching Admiral Rogers sharing a final pre-battle kiss with Amber Keranan, or Nazgrim speaking wistfully about how much he misses being in Saru Steelfury's strong embrace, would be horrible.

Yeah, but I feel like just dropping references like that falls back into the "token" issue. Then again, that might well be the only way you can really do it in an MMO.
Reply Quote

Yeah, but I feel like just dropping references like that falls back into the "token" issue. Then again, that might well be the only way you can really do it in an MMO.

I guess to me, the "token" issue is more if you parade the fact you have a non-straight character, or grudgingly or jadedly put it in to capture a specific demographic.

Having a smattering of openly, unequivocably LGBTQ characters, though, doesn't seem like it has to be inevitably token to me.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
Just imagine the reaction from all the crazies out there.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
11/18/2012 08:44 PMPosted by Kaelgos

No kidding. I'd be all for Blizzard putting in a !@#$-sexual character. Perhaps even Anduin?

Edit: Honestly why is the Latin word for same censored! I know that people use it to discriminate, but censoring it is just silly, especially when gay isn't. I've seen "gay" used in hateful /2 speeches far more often than Latin-same.
Edited by Wildsharu on 11/18/2012 10:48 PM PST
Reply Quote
11/18/2012 10:44 PMPosted by Wildsharu

No kidding. I'd be all for Blizzard putting in a !@#$-sexual character. Perhaps even Anduin?

Edit: Honestly why is the Latin word for same censored! I know that people use it to discriminate, but censoring it is just silly, especially when gay isn't. I've seen "gay" used in hateful /2 speeches far more often than Latin-same.

It's very annoying. Can't type h. sapiens, either. Leave my latin alone.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]