(Spoilers) Did Aethas betray the Kirin Tor?

89 Undead Warlock
I was looking at Blizzplanet, and found some Aethas quotes:

Archmage Aethas Sunreaver: Silvermoon has been allies with Dalaran for over 2000 years. It is not a friendship we should idly toss aside at the whim of our ‘esteemed’ Warchief Garrosh.

Archmage Aethas Sunreaver: Lor’themar wants a status update? Or is it his master Garrosh?

You should tell them both that this experiment is a waste of time. The mogu drew power by enslaving the living essence of other creatures. Is this something our Warchief should be dabbling in?

This is the same road Kael’thas Sunstrider once walked, and it nearly destroyed our people. Why are we taking orders from someone who would have us walk down this road again?

Archmage Aethas Sunreaver: Enough Rommath! The Sin’dorei must be free from the yoke of the Horde! (Aethas proceeds to be corrupted by Sha. In Silvermoon, by the way, meaning Sha can leave Pandaria)

I'm supposed to believe this man, or his followers as a faction, betrayed the Kirin Tor?
Edited by Ximothy on 11/16/2012 9:35 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
Never heard of this..but if the Sha can leave Pandaria.....we're in trouble.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
I was looking at Blizzplanet, and found some Aethas quotes:

Archmage Aethas Sunreaver: Silvermoon has been allies with Dalaran for over 2000 years. It is not a friendship we should idly toss aside at the whim of our ‘esteemed’ Warchief Garrosh.

Archmage Aethas Sunreaver: Lor’themar wants a status update? Or is it his master Garrosh?

You should tell them both that this experiment is a waste of time. The mogu drew power by enslaving the living essence of other creatures. Is this something our Warchief should be dabbling in?

This is the same road Kael’thas Sunstrider once walked, and it nearly destroyed our people. Why are we taking orders from someone who would have us walk down this road again?

Archmage Aethas Sunreaver: Enough Rommath! The Sin’dorei must be free from the yoke of the Horde! (Aethas proceeds to be corrupted by Sha. In Silvermoon, by the way, meaning Sha can leave Pandaria)

I'm supposed to believe this man, or his followers as a faction, betrayed the Kirin Tor?

You're certainly supposed to believe his faction did. Because it DID. Sunreaver agents ARE guilty of betraying the Kirin Tor.

Its the second time, by the way. Aethas may be an upstanding guy, but if he's unable to police his members, the organisation needs to be taken down. The guilty executed, the innocents forced to ceaze their operations.
Reply Quote
I've never been convinced that Aethas was behind the Sunreavers going rogue. (My bet is on Rommath.) Still waiting for a smoking gun.

But in the end, if he can't control his own people, it doesn't matter from Jaina's standpoint.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
He's Thrall. A nice guy with some ideals, but has a corrupt order under his nose.
Reply Quote
89 Undead Warlock
11/16/2012 09:40 PMPosted by Resileaf
You're certainly supposed to believe his faction did. Because it DID. Sunreaver agents ARE guilty of betraying the Kirin Tor.

You miss understood my comment. I didn't say his followers couldn't, but his followers as a Faction, meaning the vast majority. The Sunreavers are people who left Silvermoon to the Kirin Tor.

11/16/2012 09:40 PMPosted by Resileaf
Its the second time, by the way. Aethas may be an upstanding guy, but if he's unable to police his members, the organisation needs to be taken down. The guilty executed, the innocents forced to ceaze their operations.

The guilty to be killed, yes, but any who resist arrest for a crime they didn't do? or people who helped innocents escape? Do they deserve to be killed by accosiation?
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
11/16/2012 09:43 PMPosted by Ximothy
The guilty to be killed, yes, but any who resist arrest for a crime they didn't do? or people who helped innocents escape? Do they deserve to be killed by accosiation?

No of course not, but it would be hard to tell if they're guilty or not. Truth Serum may have to be used.
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Warrior

Is that cannon yet? Or are you speculating?

We know that Thalen went in for full support of the Horde.

But last I heard, Jaina was just speculating that the Sunreavers helped steal the Bell out of Darnassus, and Aethas flat out denies it.

Anything new on the PTR?
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest

Is that cannon yet? Or are you speculating?

We know that Thalen went in for full support of the Horde.

But last I heard, Jaina was just speculating that the Sunreavers helped steal the Bell out of Darnassus, and Aethas flat out denies it.

Anything new on the PTR?

I do believe that the information from quest givers and various NPCs from both sides is that Sunreaver agents used Dalaran to create portals to Darnassus.
The Horde questgiver in particular makes it a certainty.
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Warrior

I do believe that the information from quest givers and various NPCs from both sides is that Sunreaver agents used Dalaran to create portals to Darnassus.
The Horde questgiver in particular makes it a certainty.

Can you supply links, names, locations, etc?

I'd like to check it out on the PTR.
Reply Quote
25 Blood Elf Paladin
11/16/2012 09:34 PMPosted by Ximothy

Yes. We have quests where the Sunreavers literally SAY that they were involved in disobeying Jaina, attacking Darnassus, and trying to cover it up. The Sunreavers admit it, the Horde admit it, and trying to frame the Blood Elves as victims here is nonsense.

From the quest "Insertion"

"Furthermore, the Sunreavers of Dalaran are risking their neutrality by assisting the Horde in this operation."

And from the quest "Victorious Return"

"The portal by my side will return you safely to Domination Point. I will return behind you; I must clean up our tracks a bit before we leave, so that Proudmoore doesn't discover our involvement."

From "The Situation in Dalaran"

The night elves learned that the Divine Bell was stolen. This much we anticipated.

However, they've also found out that the "neutral" Sunreavers of Dalaran were complicit. Now, we've got a situation.

The Sunreavers betrayed the Kirin Tor. This is fact.
Reply Quote
The Aethas quotes don't disprove that he had anything to do with the two incidents of the Sunreavers abusing the Kirin Tor under Horde orders, if anything, it encourages the perspective that Aethas knows what's going on, and doesn't like it one bit.

11/16/2012 09:34 PMPosted by Ximothy

He's helpless to do anything about it. Keeping quiet he at least has a chance of preserving the Sunreavers in Dalaran and not betraying his people. Unfortunately it backfires. I wonder how events would have gone if he defected to the Kirin Tor and told Jaina his worries.

The Darnassus incident, which is already up on ptr, is a pretty concentrated effort by multiple Sunreaver mages using Dalaran and desperately trying to avoid Jaina's detection. What's more, the object stolen during the raid is what -Aethas has been brought to Silvermoon to study-. While studying this object, he protests that Dalaran and Silvermoon's connection isn't something to idly discard, and the folly of Garrosh's and Kael'thas' actions.

What's more, back in Tides of War, Aethas was the deciding vote to allow the Kirin Tor to aid Theramore, with a very thin argument to support that position, and Songweaver was a -personal- selection.

Aethas is aware of all this. He just can't do a thing about it without betraying his people. He has to follow the same marching orders as the Sin'dorei. He wants to break the yoke, and has a pretty firm position in that regard, but there are political realities that his people face. Lor'themar brings up the same points later on in that event where he brings up 'reconsidering old alliances'.

Their hands are tied, and unfortunately before their attempts to negotiate bear any fruit, Jaina discovers what happens and the ensuing chaos in Dalaran drives the blood elves closer to Garrosh. It's rather ingenious on Garrosh's part. Force the blood elves to reluctantly break their old ties by abusing their position, then use the resulting fallout to solidify their loyalty.

That's also why Varian seems so unreasonably ticked off at Jaina (her actions were reasonable considering), it ties into the Temple of the Red Crane scenario where he sniffs out the trap from what seems like obvious circumstances. He's started seeing the layer that Garrosh is working on, and is determined to undermine him on it. While Jaina struck a blow against the Horde and brought an ally to the Alliance, it wasn't the total victory a bit more patience would have secured.

Edit: You can also see how Aethas was so easily influenced by the Sha in spite of the generally lauded willpower and personal control of archmages if you consider that he's being forced to do a ton of things he -really doesn't want to be doing-.
Edited by Vesran on 11/17/2012 1:24 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Warlock
11/17/2012 01:20 AMPosted by Vesran
That's also why Varian seems so unreasonably ticked off at Jaina (her actions were reasonable considering), it ties into the Temple of the Red Crane scenario where he sniffs out the trap from what seems like obvious circumstances. He's started seeing the layer that Garrosh is working on, and is determined to undermine him on it. While Jaina struck a blow against the Horde and brought an ally to the Alliance, it wasn't the total victory a bit more patience would have secured.

Unfortunately, Varian has become the new Mary Sue. Cata was Thrall, now it's him. We will have to deal with characters looking stupid no matter how right they might be or getting twisted so Varian can like some perfect leader.

Which always fails in any story. There are situations there's nothing but terrible options. Varian will mysteriously and miraculously solve everything with his idealism, while everyone choices will be portrayed as wrong somehow.
Reply Quote
89 Undead Warlock
Hmm, hearing these reasons has given me a slightly better view on the Dalaran events.

The Sha matter, however, has me concerned, as one of the major reasons people dismissed the idea of Garrosh being posseded by Sha was because it couldn't leave Pandaria. But now we know they can
Reply Quote
Vesran, this is a plausible reading of events, but I don't see how Jaina could have waited. She had to take decisive action based on what she knew, and I assume she didn't know that Varian was negotiating.

So if Varian wants to get pissed off, he can start with the guy in the mirror. Jaina can't read his mind. (She's good, but not that good.) If he wants to coordinate his diplomatic efforts with her, he needs to lead the way and bring her in on the plan.

I'm actually kind of irritated with him now. He's doing so many other things right.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
Vesran, this is a plausible reading of events, but I don't see how Jaina could have waited. She had to take decisive action based on what she knew, and I assume she didn't know that Varian was negotiating.

So if Varian wants to get pissed off, he can start with the guy in the mirror. Jaina can't read his mind. (She's good, but not that good.) If he wants to coordinate his diplomatic efforts with her, he needs to lead the way and bring her in on the plan.

I'm actually kind of irritated with him now. He's doing so many other things right.

Yeah, he's really begining to come across as TOO perfect. They tried that with Thrall and are still dealing with the fallout.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
11/17/2012 03:54 AMPosted by Deerde

That arguement works both ways. How the heck could Varian have known Jaina would suddenly do what she did? Also I would assume the negotiations were pretty secret, you know to prevent Garrosh from learning about it.
Reply Quote
25 Blood Elf Paladin
11/17/2012 04:56 AMPosted by Zerde
That arguement works both ways. How the heck could Varian have known Jaina would suddenly do what she did?

Why is Varian still going "Oh, we should be friends with the Blood Elves" when they attacked an Alliance city?
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
11/17/2012 05:01 AMPosted by Vyrin
Why is Varian still going "Oh, we should be friends with the Blood Elves" when they attacked an Alliance city?

Presumable because he knows who his enemy truly is, Garrosh. And getting the Blood elves to rejoin the Alliance could easily tip the war in the Alliance favor. Besides, if Jaina herself was willing to continue to ally with the Kirin Tor Blood elves(at least before all this happened) I dont see any true reason not to do the same.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
Kel'Thezud and the many many Kirin Tor mages that followed him have done more damage than this Sunreaver faction has to Dalaran. They could be a little more understanding about rogue members.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]