need a lil help with first real tank

64 Tauren Warrior
htis is my first real tank, Ive tried tanking at 85 with my druid however it was with alot of pvp pieces and i was average at best.
Ive started tanking w2ith this war at about 48, now i have several lvls under my belt and having a few issues , and I dont see any newer stickies up top.
First off, what can I do to keep aggro? As druid I had a multi target attack and good threat generation, thus far as prot I only have a single target taunt and thunderclap is my only multi target attack. im having trouble with pulling mobs and one or 2 of them get aggrod by the dps then i have to turn or run over to get aggro again. Is there a better taunt/ability that i can use besides just shield slamming and rotating taunt to all the mobs in the pull as im trying to keep aggro/dps up?
second what is a rough rotation for opening pulls, thus far i kno to shield slam on cd bu and i try to use the cleve (one that hits another target) as much as possible to spread aggro, and use my shout to help with aggro.
third , are my talent choices wrong?...I kno there are less "wrong" choices atm but still for tanking am i useing the current front runners for my role?
Thanks for any help from all you old school tankers, it is greatly appreciated.
Reply Quote
64 Tauren Warrior
bump
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
You shouldn't be "rotating" Taunt. Taunt sets your threat level equal to the highest-threat target on the enemy's threat table. If it's attacking you, then you're the highest-threat target, so Taunt isn't doing anything. (There are some situations where the fixate effect attached to taunts is useful when the target is already attacking you, but that's rare.) Save Taunt for when someone pulls off of you.

Also, make sure that you're in Defensive Stance. Thunder Clap and Revenge should be more than enough to hold aggro given how high Defensive Stance's threat modifier is, and you can change targets often to ensure you keep high threat on all of them. If people are attacking before you can even hit the mobs, then losing aggro on those mobs is not necessarily your fault, but with Charge you should be able to reach the enemies and immediately Thunder Clap before your group can attack.
Reply Quote
14 Dwarf Hunter
First off, what can I do to keep aggro? As druid I had a multi target attack and good threat generation, thus far as prot I only have a single target taunt and thunderclap is my only multi target attack.

T-Clap should be more than enough to out-threat DPS with Deep Wounds ticking away.

11/18/2012 08:38 AMPosted by Karsh
second what is a rough rotation for opening pulls,

Charge -> thunderclap -> start tab-slamming -> Thunderclap some more -> add in some revenge when you can

also: shockwave is an AoE, warriors after level 40 wear PLATE, not AGILITY MAIL and never CLOTH
Edited by Freph on 11/19/2012 2:58 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Warrior
use heroic leap for extra threat if you have it (not sure what level you get it anymore :S) and with your talent choices, second wind is a relatively poor choice as if you are that low on health, either your healer is dead or you are doing something wrong and will probably die soon, enraged regen/impending victory are more useful unless you are soloing/doing outlevelled content.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
i mean im no warrior but im pretty sure there are prob some gyphs that will help with AoE and stuff like that
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]