Total garbage

90 Dwarf Hunter
I try to log in to one of my accounts from work. Get a message that this is suspicious activity and that I need to change my password. I no longer have the 6 digit number nor do I remember the answer to the security question since I haven't needed it for years.

I do, however, have my <removed> SSN, address, DOB, Credit card info, etc. Is there any way for me to use this information to login? NO.

Instead, I am locked out with no way in and the customer support phone que is full (utterly unacceptable).

This is the dumbest thing I have ever dealt with.

If I can't get in by 5:00 EST I will simply cancel the account by disallowing the charges to go through.
Edited by Harlsoco on 11/19/2012 5:48 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Hunter
I try to log in to one of my accounts from work. Get a message that this is suspicious activity and that I need to change my password. I no longer have the 6 digit number nor do I remember the answer to the security question since I haven't needed it for years.

I do, however, have my <removed> SSN, address, DOB, Credit card info, etc. Is there any way for me to use this information to login? NO.

Instead, I am locked out with no way in and the customer support phone que is full (utterly unacceptable).

This is the dumbest thing I have ever dealt with.

If I can't get in by 5:00 EST I will simply cancel the account by disallowing the charges to go through.

Have you checked the email associated with the account? Usually they send an email with instructions on how to change your password in it. Since you are attempting to log in from a different location than normal, that is why the account was shut down...it's called a security feature for a reason...otherwise someone in China or another place could log into your account and clean you out. And making threats to close your account over this won't make much difference, especially if you are unwilling to take the steps necessary to unlock the account....
Edited by Harlsoco on 11/19/2012 5:48 PM PST
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Hunter
This security measure has been in place for quite some time now. All it requires is a password reset, which shouldn't be difficult at all. They have made it even easier with the SMS Feature they added a little while back.

If you wish to blame Blizzard for you not remembering your own SQ, that's fine. They need to protect all of their players from what happens when an account gets compromised, and this feature helps prevent that.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Hunter
This security measure has been in place for quite some time now. All it requires is a password reset, which shouldn't be difficult at all. They have made it even easier with the SMS Feature they added a little while back.

If you wish to blame Blizzard for you not remembering your own SQ, that's fine. They need to protect all of their players from what happens when an account gets compromised, and this feature helps prevent that.

No, I disagree.

This is not an issue about their security measures. This is an issue about customer support.

Granted, their security measures are ridiculous. I used my email and the correct password to access the account. The account is linked to other accounts I own that I have accessed from this computer. I have accessed this account from this computer in the past. I simply have not logged in to the account at issue in a long time.

This issue is that their customer service does not exist. It's utterly absurd that I cannot speak, chat or email with anyone to deal with this issue. It is a simple matter to disavow the charge for the account and close it, but if you cannot contact customer support when you have an issue requiring a live person to assist, then is that really customer support?

Surely you don't defend those actions do you?
Reply Quote
6 Gnome Rogue
Only if you have access to the email associated with the account you don't need a live person to assist you.

If you don't have access to the email associated with the account, how is that Blizzard's fault?
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Hunter
11/19/2012 11:25 AMPosted by Whiskeyjack

I do. Why? Because you shouldn't have to. You forgot your SQ/A, not Blizzard. You didn't sign up for SMS to make changing your password even easier. This, quite literally, should be the simplest thing for their customers to take care of on their own, for a massive amount of account protection.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Hunter
Only if you have access to the email associated with the account you don't need a live person to assist you.

If you don't have access to the email associated with the account, how is that Blizzard's fault?

I have accessed that email and that's how I know what they need.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Shaman
You can chat with someone.. after 5 tries, i just got into the queue. (i got off, to free the spot for someone).

This security measure, while no not necessary, is something that has been implemented, and has saves MANY more hacked accounts from being hacked.
Great you know your UN/PW and put it in corrected. but if it was keyloged, etc.. so does the hacker.
This system, could just prevent that hacker from getting in.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Hunter
11/19/2012 11:29 AMPosted by Scrinshee

I do. Why? Because you shouldn't have to. You forgot your SQ/A, not Blizzard. You didn't sign up for SMS to make changing your password even easier. This, quite literally, should be the simplest thing for their customers to take care of on their own, for a massive amount of account protection.

I have not accessed that account, except for this morning, since that was instituted. I could not have added it when I went to log on today because when I tried, they locked the account.

You defend a company that doesn't offer live support? You know, I tried to log on and add sms to my primary account and, guess what, the internet system is down. Your sms won't work when the system is down for maintenance.

Again, it's not the existence of the SQ that is the issue. That's quite common. It's the utter absence of a solution for when it's forgotten (like using the primary accountholder's ssn) that is the issue.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Shaman
11/19/2012 11:45 AMPosted by Whiskeyjack
You defend a company that doesn't offer live support?

They do have live support.

There is just enough volume of people, the queue is full, and therefore you cant get on the queue.

Is it an inconvienence? Yes. But if you look at my post above, totaly doable.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Hunter
You can chat with someone.. after 5 tries, i just got into the queue. (i got off, to free the spot for someone).

This security measure, while no not necessary, is something that has been implemented, and has saves MANY more hacked accounts from being hacked.
Great you know your UN/PW and put it in corrected. but if it was keyloged, etc.. so does the hacker.
This system, could just prevent that hacker from getting in.

I just got in the que after spamming for 15 minutes. Thanks.
Edited by Whiskeyjack on 11/19/2012 11:49 AM PST
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Hunter

Except it does. Do the queues get full? Yes. Because people are calling in for things they should not be calling in for. Or, in this case, things they shouldn't have to be calling in for.

like using the primary accountholder's ssn

And I'm more than a little disturbed that you would want a video gaming company to keep your ssn on file for something like this.
Reply Quote
I bet op would rage even harder if he got hacked.....

It's not Blizzards fault you forgot your secret questions.

Also as a side note: if you use an authenticator this doesn't tend to happen. Are you using one? You will continue to get locked until Blizzard learns your login habits and ip ranges from the various locations you login, and having an authenticator generally prevents these false alarms on their systems.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Death Knight
I dont remember my SQA either.

i do blame blizzard for making me change it recently. I have no idea what that was about but I had to change the SQ that i had been using for years lol

by the way, if you get SMS protect all its easier to reset the password, also if you use authenticator you usually dont get the message to change passwords.
Reply Quote
25 Night Elf Druid
i do blame blizzard for making me change it recently. I have no idea what that was about but I had to change the SQ that i had been using for years lol

Their data base was compromised. They announced it.

11/19/2012 01:47 PMPosted by Jeromejaxxon
I dont remember my SQA either

You should have written it down then.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Hunter

Blame the idiots who hacked into Blizzards system attempting to get information. We all changed it after that happened.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Warlock
nor do I remember the answer to the security question since I haven't needed it for years.
<snip>

Except you had to change the secret question and answer a couple of months ago.

Be prepared for the fraud investigation as that is about the only way you can get a charge back. Also be prepared that going forward that the same funding source will no longer be accepted for any Blizzard services, on any account.
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
I just got in the que after spamming for 15 minutes. Thanks.

Excellent news. They should help you to update your SQA as well as we required everyone to update both the question and the answer not long ago.

Granted, their security measures are ridiculous. I used my email and the correct password to access the account. The account is linked to other accounts I own that I have accessed from this computer. I have accessed this account from this computer in the past. I simply have not logged in to the account at issue in a long time.

I'm sorry you find it so. I can say that this security measure has done a great deal to reduce the number of compromised accounts we see. Yes, if you play from multiple locations or otherwise have a changing access pattern it can be inconvenient at times. I can assure you that the level of inconvenience created by an account compromise can be a much greater.

The SMS Protect feature allows you to easily manage your security options by sending you a text when your account is temporarily locked in this manner. The is used to authorize that play session.

An Authenticator is also an excellent addition to the account that should help as well. While it will not completely eliminate the possibility that the account will be locked for security reasons, the Authenticator is considered when the system looks at the account and once it is established, these occurrences are fairly rare.

We do offer live support and we are always working on ways to improve your ability to get assistance. For the most part our support is 24/7, though that does not extend to phone support. We receive a fairly high volume of calls depending on what is going on, and that can impact how easily you may be through and the queue times when you do. This has been getting better lately but there is always room for improvement.

Good luck to you.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]