What's a hardcore casual raiding guild?

90 Worgen Mage
We're seriously casual.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Death Knight
11/17/2012 12:42 PMPosted by Turagent
What do you mean?

Good players that take the game seriously but can't play often.

You down bosses fast because:
a. You don't suck.
b. You don't spend 15 mins in between pulls on AFKs and the blame game.

You mean you down bosses at a quicker rate than bad casuals.

11/17/2012 09:34 PMPosted by Arianity
A guild that raids for hardcore amounts of time, but it's members play at a very "casual" skill level?

Opposite, actually.

Casual amounts of time, but hardcore attitude during the time they do play.

Are such guilds even possible now that blizzard forces you to do 2 hours worth of dailies every day just to get raid gear?

Possible? Definitely. Maybe not as effective/fast as in wotlk/cata, where out of raid requirements were minimum, but doable none the less.

He was trolling you.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Death Knight
2 types

a skill hardcore casual guild, that raids sub 9 hours and has decently good ranked kills

and a bad hardcore casual guild, the ones who raid 20+ hours and don't even clear normal (Sarosha).

A lot of people use "casual" as a shield to deflect their lack of skill.

I've seen both, I was in #2 when I had a bad schedule in TBC, but I only played as a filler, since they didn't take their schedule to heart.
Edited by Postonforums on 11/17/2012 9:52 PM PST
Reply Quote
40 Orc Warlock
My guild raids 2-3 days a week for 2-3 hours each day.
Do I qualify as hardcore casual?
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
Since it doesn't look like you killed a heroic mode yet, probably not.

If you wind up pushing into heroic modes and getting at least a few down before the nerfs, sure.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Rogue
Casual = I play when i have time to play never to a set schedule.

Hardcore = I set aside specific times of my day/week to play/raid.

I can be casual and a great player, I can be hardcore and a crappy player.
Reply Quote
40 Orc Warlock
Since it doesn't look like you killed a heroic mode yet, probably not.

If you wind up pushing into heroic modes and getting at least a few down before the nerfs, sure.

I gotta kill a heroic boss to get qualification? Aww..
Guess I'm just casual then
Edited by Eldotsyou on 11/17/2012 11:47 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
I've been in similar guilds way back in TBC/Classic. You only raid like, twice a week for three hours at a time, but you make those three hours count.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Rogue
My guild would probably call ourselves hardcore-casual. 9 hour a week schedule 5/6H MSV. US 50ish 25 man (although how meaningful that ranking actually is may be up for debate).
Edited by Fierydemise on 11/18/2012 12:05 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight

So it's an oxymoron then...
Reply Quote
90 Troll Rogue
11/18/2012 12:17 AMPosted by Ghatok
So it's an oxymoron then...

The way I define it yes :P
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Priest
I would think that it would be people who are very prepared for raids and are skilled players but only have a few hours per week to devote to raiding.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest

So...if a person dedicated 3-4 hours a week at a specific time and *only* played those 3-4 hours a week at that specific time, you'd call them hardcore?

But a person who played 30 hours a week without any schedule you'd call casual?

Am I the only one who sees a flaw in this logic?

I gotta kill a heroic boss to get qualification? Aww..
Guess I'm just casual then

If you want the "hardcore" part of it, yeah. You can still be a casual guild!

But there are PUGs clearing 6/6 MSV. I led one last week that had like six alts in it.

11/17/2012 11:59 PMPosted by Saavuorii
I've been in similar guilds way back in TBC/Classic. You only raid like, twice a week for three hours at a time, but you make those three hours count.

11/18/2012 02:30 AMPosted by Cassandrae
I would think that it would be people who are very prepared for raids and are skilled players but only have a few hours per week to devote to raiding.

These.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest

Kind of a problem with my guild. They were fine in Cata (back when they were my alt guild) when they didnt have anything to do outside of log in 6 hours/week and raid, now they have to do LFR and dailies. Multiple of our raiders don't even bother with them.

I am not bagging on you guys at all, but based on your Cata progression it looks like you guys are doing just about as well as you did before, even if they're not doing dailies or LFR.

You're probably right, but I think it just "feels" worse to me since I think we have a more skilled roster.
Edited by Dayuv on 11/18/2012 8:51 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Warlock
Are such guilds even possible now that blizzard forces you to do 2 hours worth of dailies every day just to get raid gear?

Oh noes, you have to go out in the world instead of sitting in SW all day spamming trade chat with anal jokes!!!

I don't sit in SW all day. I work, at my job. That's why being forced to spam dailies is !@#$. I can commit to raid times because my guild holds them after I come back from work. But I simply don't have time for another 2 hours of dailies every day.

Which means no valor gear and less loot for my characters, since there is no other way to get rep or coins.

Hell, even in Burning Crusade i got rep for killing raid trash.
Edited by Hoimen on 11/18/2012 6:23 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Troll Rogue
11/17/2012 08:59 PMPosted by Balkoth
We raid two nights a week for 8ish hours, we're 5/6H in MSV

You probably spend a lot of time out of raid time looking at logs and vids, figuring out strats and the best way to approach fights with your raiders out of game on forums and the like, I bet you also expect a certain % attendance from all your raiders and to communicate when they can't make a raid a few days beforehand if at all possible.

I don't think "casual" really comes into play with much of that at all, its a really hard thing to define though and means different things to different people, it just annoys me when people pigeon hole "casuals" as bad and "hardcores" as skilled players hence my way of trying to over simplify it a little so it at least makes sense to me.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
11/18/2012 08:22 PMPosted by Sabod
You probably spend a lot of time out of raid time looking at logs and vids, figuring out strats and the best way to approach fights with your raiders out of game on forums and the like, I bet you also expect a certain % attendance from all your raiders and to communicate when they can't make a raid a few days beforehand if at all possible

What does "a lot of time out of raid" mean in this case? 30 minutes? An hour? Three hours? 20 hours? People look at logs, watch videos, and discuss strategies, sure, but keep in mind that's all done on their own time whenever they want. If they have 10 minutes to kill at some point, they can watch a video if they think they need to prepare more. If they have 5 minutes to spare, they can check a strategy discussion. And there's not some mandated knowledge requirement except "know what to do for the boss when you show up."

Also, no, we don't have a specified attendance percent. In fact, we have a player out of town right now for a month. We do expect people to take 60 seconds and post on our forums if they can't make a raid, though, even if it's 30 minutes before the raid starts.

11/18/2012 08:22 PMPosted by Sabod
I don't think "casual" really comes into play with much of that at all, its a really hard thing to define though and means different things to different people, it just annoys me when people pigeon hole "casuals" as bad and "hardcores" as skilled players hence my way of trying to over simplify it a little so it at least makes sense to me.

Well, sure, casuals can be good. And hardcore doesn't mean you're amazing. But if someone told you "yeah, I spend 1-2 nights a week playing a video game with some friends" would you think "Whoa, that guy is a hardcore gamer?"
Edited by Balkoth on 11/19/2012 10:16 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
the point is less about what "hardcore casual" is and more that the guild being quoted in the picture is not it. unless they've raided one time since the expac hit. which they haven't!

edit for unfortunate line breaks.
Edited by Tsilyi on 11/19/2012 11:01 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Our guild more or less fits this bill.

We basically go "right, tuesday and wednesday is raid day, come if you can. no big deal. we raid until we get bored. if 10 people are online one night and wanna raid yeah i guess we'll do more"

This has gotten us to 3/6HoF, and server 8th. It's no where near the best in the world, but I'd still like to think we at least fall into the "hardcore" camp.

We're more hardcore than my previous guilds were, at least. Before our guild reformed in MoP as a 10-man, we didn't get Spine down until the day before Mists came out. My guild before that spent a total of 90 hours on Normal Ragnaros before the 30% nerf hit.
Reply Quote
Hardcore casual gives you room for excuses when you underperform. It's perfect for the overachieving player.

Doing poorly: 'We raid casually guys we don't have time like those no-life losers lol...'
Beat someone to normal mode: 'Yeah we're better than (insert guild working on heroics here) we're so awesome!'
Edited by Big on 11/19/2012 4:31 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]