Advice on RP character

63 Tauren Druid
Hey guy's am new to RP, been playing WoW for years now and always wanted to give it a try.
I have been lurking the forums recently and finally come up with some substance to put into a character, Delrathen.

Being new to it I'm looking for some opinions on my main idea for a character to roleplay.
So far I have an idea for a Forsaken Warrior. (please feel free to point out any misgivings in his backstory as it is no where near set in stone) Originally he was a devout follower of the light, a preist in Stratholme, with a wife and a child. Never being prone to violence, prefering to get along with everyone and compromise where necessary. As he was never the physical type he found sanctuary in the protection of the divine. An easy going charismatic fellow.
However, as I'm sure you see where this is going, (and I know it's somewhat of a taboo to have your character encounter a large character from lore, but given the circumstances I see this as nothing large) He hears the screams of his fellow Stratholmians as they fall at the hands of Lordaerons finest and a Paladin of the Silver hand. He runs outside to investigate telling his family to stay indoors. He attempts to do what he can but soon realises it's a lost cause and runs back to his family, where he witnesses the death of his Wife and 10 year old son as they are crushed and slaughtered by Arthas and two of his entourage.
Delrathen rushes at Arthas looking quite comical in his lovely white robe, weilding a book as if it's the hand of Ragnaros He is crushed by the Hammer blessed with the beloved divine.

Due to unknown circumstances he is raised in undeath. Either as a servant of the Lich King in irony or as a follower of the Dark lady I have not decided yet. But he regains conscious thought during the escape of the Banshee queen or when he is resurrected by her minions.

He casts off his attachment to the light as it had disentangled itself from him when he needed it most at the death of his wife and child, also himself for that matter. Finally having the strength of undeath at his command he learns the art of beating his enemies into submission with a bigger stick then the one with which they hit him. His hate for the Lich king being a drive to become stronger and more knowledgable in the art of furiously wailing at his enemies.

However at the death of the Lich king he loses all purpose to his... life. With nothing left as a goal he is trying to find his way in the world. With his charisma carrying through from life to his rotting carcass, taking on a darker side as any would if they were turned into a walking corpse. He has an utter hate for Paladins and preists and treats them with contempt at any chance he gets. However developing a need to protect those weaker than himself as he has nothing better to do with his time.

Got a bit bored at the end there and summarised all my ideas for his personality in the one, however just after some advice on how this is looking? Criticism is appreciated as the last thing I need is an even more inflated head.
Reply Quote
83 Blood Elf Warlock
As far as association with major lore figures in backstory goes, it's fine as long as you don't make a huge deal out of it.

Seyl here was part of Kael'thas' forces during the events of the Frozen Throne game (fighting Scourge under the command of Garithos, the subsequent jailing of the elves and their flight to Outland and assault on the Black Temple). But she was just a spellcaster that was merely there, rather than doing anything important.

If I were doing it 'wrong', then Seyl would have been a close advisor, or prominent figure throughout the battles, or would be personally taking special orders from Kael or Illidan.

Having your character slain by Arthas might be a little bit 'special' to some people, but if you make no big deal out of it, it will be fine. If you want to avoid the accusations for sure, you could have him slain by one of Arthas' knights instead. He didn't destroy Stratholme by himself, after all. :)
Edited by Seyl on 11/17/2012 11:19 PM PST
Reply Quote
63 Tauren Druid
As far as association with major lore figures in backstory goes, it's fine as long as you don't make a huge deal out of it.

Seyl here was part of Kael'thas' forces during the events of the Frozen Throne game (fighting Scourge under the command of Garithos, the subsequent jailing of the elves and their flight to Outland and assault on the Black Temple). But she was just a spellcaster that was merely there, rather than doing anything important.

If I were doing it 'wrong', then Seyl would have been a close advisor, or prominent figure throughout the battles, or would be personally taking special orders from Kael or Illidan.

Having your character slain by Arthas might be a little bit 'special' to some people, but if you make no big deal out of it, it will be fine. If you want to avoid the accusations for sure, you could have him slain by one of Arthas' knights instead. He didn't destroy Stratholme by himself, after all. :)

Thanks for that, Seyl's story sounds pretty interesting. I've always been fond of the Lore behind Kael'thas and Illidan.

Yeah I was thinking that, but I do like the idea of him having lost his way after working towards something ridiculously. Maybe have Arthas kill his wife and child then be cut down by Arthas' entourage? or is that basically the same thing?
Reply Quote
Arthas didn’t just sit on the sidelines directing the slaughter; he was a very active participant. Your character’s story would not be particularly unique, and that can give you a device to commiserate with, and fuel his fury by, other similar stories, if and when you find them. Going toe-to-toe in a diehard battle royal that Arthas would not forget, and later on turning your character into his favourite pet next to Sylvanas would be a pushing it kind of thing. Alternately, your character might not have known exactly who was in his house at the time, just that a few blood drenched men were standing over the corpses of his family, as he lashed out screaming, “What have you done? What have you done?” Recognition coming to him in the last seconds, or after the fact.

But that was the past. What are you in the present? I haven’t played my UD in a very long time, but considered that she was similarly lost for purpose at the destruction of the Lich King, and I don’t know what she’ll make of the present. Healthy paranoia about the living that she may have, she’s still unsettled about becoming the evil that made her in the first place. You say that he’s willing to help those weaker than himself, but to do what? This is development that will evolve, but questions to pose yourself along the line: Is he not much more than the equivalent to a Death Knight puppet, taking command with no thought or feeling other than it is the will of his Lady master? A zealot that believes there is no line too far to cross for Forsaken supremacy? A rationalist that sees a means to an end, but still expects to achieve a certain equilibrium when all the checks and balances are tallied? Dismayed by the Forsaken devolving into the New Scourge? Just a Joe-corpse trying to ensure some security for other Joe-corpses in this mad mixed up world?

Good luck, and happy RPing.
Reply Quote
83 Blood Elf Warlock

Thanks for that, Seyl's story sounds pretty interesting. I've always been fond of the Lore behind Kael'thas and Illidan.

Yeah I was thinking that, but I do like the idea of him having lost his way after working towards something ridiculously. Maybe have Arthas kill his wife and child then be cut down by Arthas' entourage? or is that basically the same thing?

I'm ashamed to say that Seyl's backstory does end up a bit special snowflakeish towards the end of it. Not because of associating with major lore figures, mind. But then I don't really use her in RP sessions anymore so, I can pretend her backstory doesn't exist <_<

Really, as Brandbombe says, it wouldn't be particularly special to be just another peasent cut down by Arthas during that time, as long as that's all that happens and you don't somehow give him a challenge. But, like I said, it's possible that some people may find that objectionable despite. Whether you care enough to please such people is entirely your choice. ;)
Reply Quote
63 Tauren Druid
Thanks for the confidence boost guys, I was worried I'd be Mary Sueing everywhere, yeah I was thinking that he may not know if it was Arthas or not to begin with.

But that was the past. What are you in the present? I haven’t played my UD in a very long time, but considered that she was similarly lost for purpose at the destruction of the Lich King, and I don’t know what she’ll make of the present. Healthy paranoia about the living that she may have, she’s still unsettled about becoming the evil that made her in the first place. You say that he’s willing to help those weaker than himself, but to do what? This is development that will evolve, but questions to pose yourself along the line: Is he not much more than the equivalent to a Death Knight puppet, taking command with no thought or feeling other than it is the will of his Lady master? A zealot that believes there is no line too far to cross for Forsaken supremacy? A rationalist that sees a means to an end, but still expects to achieve a certain equilibrium when all the checks and balances are tallied? Dismayed by the Forsaken devolving into the New Scourge? Just a Joe-corpse trying to ensure some security for other Joe-corpses in this mad mixed up world?

Good luck, and happy RPing.

Well for what he's doing at the moment, mainly moving from town to town, tavern to tavern, meeting people and trying to find a pathway in life. He's a bit more approachable and less hostile than other rotting corpses, though of course he sustains that dark irony that comes with all undead. A bit more of a dry humour siddled into his conversations. Though I hope to still keep him as an open person, or make him more of an open person over time.
Mainly he has more protective instincts as he did in life, just because he has forsaken the light does not mean he has done the same for the morals he holds with it. He may be ferocious in battle and a bit more brutal than some people may like, but he does his best to aim in the right direction.
He follows the Dark Lady, however does not completely agree with her more recent exploits since Arthas' demise and has left as he does not seek to be a cog in the machine she is building.
Currently I imagine him sitting in a Tavern, possibly with a preference for Tauren company who are still weary of him. I hope to join in on some of the Open RP posts put into this forum when he is at a level high enough to compete : P

I am currently on Cenarion Circle, though haven't seen any RP there so would you guys be able to advise of a good Horde RP server? preferably one that is active around the clock due to my timezone.
Any other advice you can give me would be lovely.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
I think the story is fine but perhaps instead of him being a Warrior perhaps he could be a Shadow Priest.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]