Where did the Cloud Serpents/Yu'lon come from

I apologize if this has been posted before. But being the fan of dragons and lore of them, I can't help but there was a lot of plot holes when it came to Yu'lon and the Cloud Serpents. When I read about the Order of the Cloud Serpent way before the MoP Beta came out, I was thinking the Cloud Serpents were in charge of their own faction, like the Red Dragonflight of Wyrmrest. Sentient serpents.
I was saddened when it wasn't true when I finally arrived a week after MoP went live. Yu'lon seems to be the only sentient serpent, yet never said she's the reason the serpents are here, or any of her backstory.

I have heard that it took 100 years to build the Jade Serpent Statue. Does this mean that Yu'lon repeats this cycle every 100 years? Do Cloud Serpents have the same lifeline as humans?
Where did they come from? Where did Yu'lon come from? I've read the ingame book of the founding of the order. But there's nothing I see that ties in with it. No other stories. No lore.

I have these burning questions that yearn to be answered.
Edited by Benie on 11/18/2012 12:43 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Troll Hunter
Cloud Serpents aren't actual dragons, they're magical animals, like Wind Serpents, Basilisks, and Thunder Lizards.

Yu'lon and the other August Celestials show striking similarity to the Trollish Primal Loa and the Night Elven Ancient Guardians, all of which are magical, animal spirits.

It's likely Cloud Serpents simply evolved, as we have no real indication as to where they came from. Same with Yu'lon (And any of the Celestials/Loa/Ancients).
Reply Quote
1 Blood Elf Rogue
11/18/2012 12:44 AMPosted by Pyronaptor
Cloud Serpents aren't actual dragons, they're magical animals, like Wind Serpents, Basilisks, and Thunder Lizards.

Don't mean to try to hijack, but I've been wondering: Is there any sort of reason why the Heart of the Aspects('born from the energies of the Dragon Soul') is basically a cloud serpent with wings?
Edited by Aureus on 11/18/2012 2:01 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
11/18/2012 02:00 AMPosted by Aureus

Don't mean to try to hijack, but I've been wondering: Is there any sort of reason why the Heart of the Aspects('born from the energies of the Dragon Soul') is basically a cloud serpent with wings?

blizzard was testing the model pretty much.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Warrior
It's important to remember that the cloud serpents have the colors of the five dragonflights:

Azure (blue), Onyx (black), Golden (bronze), Crimson (red), and Jade (green).

My heory is that the elemental dragons (from the elemental planes, like the stone dragons), were turned into proto-dragons when they came to Azeroth, and then those in the north became the european-style dragons while those in the south became the chinese-style ones.

The only type of dragons who show to have true sentience are the original european-style, and I think it's because of the Titans' work.

As for the August Celestials, I like to think of them as ancients or loa.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
It's important to remember that the cloud serpents have the colors of the five dragonflights:

Azure (blue), Onyx (black), Golden (bronze), Crimson (red), and Jade (green).

My heory is that the elemental dragons (from the elemental planes, like the stone dragons), were turned into proto-dragons when they came to Azeroth, and then those in the north became the european-style dragons while those in the south became the chinese-style ones.

The only type of dragons who show to have true sentience are the original european-style, and I think it's because of the Titans' work.

As for the August Celestials, I like to think of them as ancients or loa.

If they did come from dragons waaaay back in the day we would see a lot more colours as back then there were dozens of different coloured dragonflights. The big 5 were just the most powerful of them all so they were picked by the titans.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Warrior
11/18/2012 08:28 AMPosted by Drewan
If they did come from dragons waaaay back in the day we would see a lot more colours as back then there were dozens of different coloured dragonflights. The big 5 were just the most powerful of them all so they were picked by the titans.

Perhaps the diverse colors existed only within the elemental planes...

or perhaps the proto-dragons of othe dragonflights died off...
Reply Quote
I'm thinking Cloud Serpents aren't really related to Dragons at all. They are simply an animal native to Pandaria, nothing less and nothing more.

We could perhaps find out that their evolution was altered by the waters of the vale, but I don't think their origin is a high priority to explore.
Reply Quote
11/18/2012 08:49 AMPosted by Falrinn
but I don't think their origin is a high priority to explore.

It may not be a high priority to you, but it is to me. I don't like lore plot holes when it comes to things like this.

As for Yu'lon, I've been thinking. She like the rest of the August Celestials were created, as a "leader", but not to their own kind, but to the Pandarian. They are, by Chinese tradition, the guardians of the four cardinal directions.

I've also been wondering if the ingame book of the founding of the order, is fiction. Because again, "what came first, the serpent or the egg?" comes to play. It mentions the Pandarian once feared serpents, which is understandable. But it was battle that made them friends.
Edited by Benie on 11/18/2012 9:31 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Warrior
Falrinn, then how do you explain that there are only five dragonflights of cloud serpents, which are the same as other dragons?
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Shaman
11/18/2012 09:16 AMPosted by Benie
It may not be a high priority to you, but it is to me. I don't like lore plot holes when it comes to things like this.

How are these plotholes?
Reply Quote
62 Orc Death Knight
I find it interesting that cloud serpents are classified as beast instead of dragonkin ingame.
Reply Quote
11/18/2012 09:30 AMPosted by Kazgro
I find it interesting that cloud serpents are classified as beast instead of dragonkin ingame.

In Wowhead, Yu'lon is listed as Dragonkin.

11/18/2012 09:29 AMPosted by Skytotem
How are these plotholes?

The lore behind them is missing. There you go. We know where the dragons came from, but nothing about the serpents. It's just interesting. My curiosity wants to know.
Edited by Benie on 11/18/2012 9:35 AM PST
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Shaman
11/18/2012 09:32 AMPosted by Benie
The lore behind them is missing. There you go.

It's not 'missing' it's just not necessary. Why do we need lore for Cloud Serpents any more than Basilisks or any other animal?
Reply Quote
63 Draenei Paladin
There are at least 2 sentient Cloud serpents: Yu'lon and Tsulong.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Death Knight
Yu'lon isn't a real Cloud Serpent anyway. She's a giant statue of a Cloud Serpent, given life. The newest statue might've been broken before it could fulfill its purpose, but it wasn't the first time the Jade Serpent needed to possess a new statue to renew herself.

I've not read anything that explains where it originally came from, or what, exactly, empowered the first Jade Serpent statue ever made, but, somehow, I don't think it was just an exceptionally-bright Cloud Serpent that was getting too old. Mostly because I'm pretty sure all four Celestials have a similar origin.

I think it's pretty safe to assume that her relation to other Cloud Serpents isn't very different from, say, Xuen's relation to tigers.
Edited by Sylassanna on 11/18/2012 9:56 AM PST
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Shaman
11/18/2012 09:46 AMPosted by Archpaladin
There are at least 2 sentient Cloud serpents: Yu'lon and Tsulong.

We also have talking mammoths and bears, doesn't mean they're special.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Warrior
I don't recall talking mammoths and bears... clarify please?
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Warrior
The loa in Zul'Aman and Zul'Drak (although the mammoth is already dead by the time we get to his temple).
Reply Quote
90 Troll Hunter
11/18/2012 09:18 AMPosted by Ethenil
Falrinn, then how do you explain that there are only five dragonflights of cloud serpents, which are the same as other dragons?

There aren't any Dragonflights of Cloud Serpents, they just come in different colors. All animals in wow do that.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]