Where did the Cloud Serpents/Yu'lon come from

100 Human Hunter
11/18/2012 09:46 AMPosted by Archpaladin
There are at least 2 sentient Cloud serpents: Yu'lon and Tsulong.

That makes me wonder. Is Tsulong the consort of Yu'lon? It's possible that they are the ones responsible for the Cloud Serpents. But Yu'lon doesn't mention it due to a matter of trust.

They may of had a fight due to Tsulong getting tired of Yu'lon's short life, or the fact the Cloud Serpents at that time were capiable of not needing them to sustain their numbers, and they left eachother.
Reply Quote
63 Draenei Paladin
It might be that Tsulong is the Cloud Serpent ancient and Yu'lon is a statue either Tsulong or one of Pandaria's emperors built and brought to life. The model for Tsulong is called the Cloud Serpent God after all.
Edited by Archpaladin on 11/18/2012 11:33 AM PST
Reply Quote
100 Troll Hunter
Cloud Serpents aren't dragons. Some may be classified as Dragonkin, but Treants are classified as Elementals - It's a game mechanic.

There are three sapient Wind Serpents in the game (Hakkar, Quetz'lun, Arikara), should I assume they're some higher being too? No, but Yu'lon and Quetz'lun would be the same type of eternal, just like Goldrinn (And yes, there is more than one sentient Wolf).
Reply Quote
63 Draenei Paladin
Ancients(which most non ghost or wisp Loa are) don't die of old age, as such Yu'lon(who's a statue who keeps having to be reborn due to old age) isn't an Ancient, Tsulong on other hand does infact appear to be ageless and more powerful than Yu'lon.
Reply Quote
100 Troll Hunter
11/18/2012 11:40 AMPosted by Archpaladin
Ancients(which most non ghost or wisp Loa are) don't die of old age, as such Yu'lon(who's a statue who keeps having to be reborn due to old age) isn't an Ancient, Tsulong on other hand does infact appear to be ageless and more powerful than Yu'lon.

Yu'lon is the only eternal we know of that has this ability, but none of the other Celestials share it. Moreover, Yu'lon doesn't 'die' of old age, else she would die soon and there would be no Cloud Serpent eternal anymore. What the purpose of this reincarnation is, we don't really know.
Reply Quote
63 Draenei Paladin
In my opinion Yu'lon is the only August Celestial that's a Statue the rest are Ancients.
On there being no Cloud Serpent Eternal if she died: I think Tsulong is the Cloud Serpent Eternal(Ancient) not Yu'lon who is clearly an immortal statue that seems to follow the cycle of rebirth.
Reply Quote
100 Worgen Warrior
11/18/2012 11:23 AMPosted by Pyronaptor
Falrinn, then how do you explain that there are only five dragonflights of cloud serpents, which are the same as other dragons?

There aren't any Dragonflights of Cloud Serpents, they just come in different colors. All animals in wow do that.

The fact remains that the five known colors of cloud serpents correspond to the five dragonflights:

Azure (blue), Onyx (black), Golden (bronze), Crimson (red), and Jade (green).
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
11/18/2012 12:52 PMPosted by Ethenil

There aren't any Dragonflights of Cloud Serpents, they just come in different colors. All animals in wow do that.

The fact remains that the five known colors of cloud serpents correspond to the five dragonflights:

Azure (blue), Onyx (black), Golden (bronze), Crimson (red), and Jade (green).

Which could mean absolutely nothing.
Reply Quote
100 Troll Hunter
11/18/2012 12:52 PMPosted by Ethenil

Or, rather, they're combinations.

The Jade one is Green and Red, Crimson is Red and Green, Azure is Blue and Red, so on.

The color doesn't matter. There's Red, Green, Blue, Yellow, and Black Wind Serpents too, doesn't mean they're related to Cloud Serpents.
Reply Quote
100 Worgen Warrior
Hopefully there will be another CDev and we can clarify this.
Reply Quote
62 Orc Death Knight
I think cloud serpents are related to wind serpents because they share the same powers/breaths.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Priest
I think they were mutated/improved by the water in the Vale.

Their wings were taken away but they were given power of flight without wings. Seems like something the Vale would be a part of.

What they were originally who knows, but I kind of think Wind Serpents.
Edited by Haely on 11/18/2012 1:06 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight

Their wings were taken away but they were given power of flight without wings. Seems like something the Vale would be a part of.

if by improved you mean made tiny , weak, useless limbs and no mental capacity for intelligent speech or thought past that of a dolphin then sure.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Priest

if by improved you mean made tiny , weak, useless limbs and no mental capacity for intelligent speech or thought past that of a dolphin then sure.

Well if they were improved from Wind Serpents, which I kind of believe, then yes it would be an improvement.

Weren't they supposedly greatly feared by eveveryone back in the day?

Who cares if they can't speak to us that doesn't mean there stupid or lack intelligence.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight

Well if they were improved from Wind Serpents, which I kind of believe, then yes it would be an improvement.

Weren't they supposedly greatly feared by eveveryone back in the day?

Who cares if they can't speak to us that doesn't mean there stupid or lack intelligence.

Ah my bad, thought you meant improved from dragons. In which case no.

Wind serpents though, sure XD
Reply Quote
100 Troll Hunter
Them being mutated Wind Serpents is something I've thought of too, but you have to remember the patron of Wind Serpents is a God, just like Elune, so it may not be an improvement in the long run.
Reply Quote
What about Elegon?

Isn't he a Titan computer A.I created eon ago and take the form of a Cloud Serpent.

Why would the Titans create a A.I in the form of a Cloud Serpent when previously they have created all of their AI in their image?
Reply Quote
100 Human Warrior
What about Elegon?

Isn't he a Titan computer A.I created eon ago and take the form of a Cloud Serpent.

Why would the Titans create a A.I in the form of a Cloud Serpent when previously they have created all of their AI in their image?

Might just be that the Mogu personalized the Titan operating system.

As for Yu'lon, just because she's a statue does not mean she is not an ancient. Ancients get their powers in many different ways. Aviana was a crow that got given powers, the pig ancient (who's name I won't bother spelling) was just a boar who ate allot, Cenarius was born one. She might have been a powerful Cloud Serpent that imbued her life force into a statue before she died or it as some sort of benefit like being connected to nature or something. Cycle of rebirth and all.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
What about Elegon?

Might just be that the Mogu personalized the Titan operating system.

As for Yu'lon, just because she's a statue does not mean she is not an ancient. Ancients get their powers in many different ways. Aviana was a crow that got given powers, the pig ancient (who's name I won't bother spelling) was just a boar who ate allot, Cenarius was born one. She might have been a powerful Cloud Serpent that imbued her life force into a statue before she died or it as some sort of benefit like being connected to nature or something. Cycle of rebirth and all.

I agree, I don't think she is just a sentient statue. She probably was real and had a real body and what not but for circumstances unknown she had to use a statue to put her life-force in to keep living, starting the cycle. Maybe she was grievously injured? Maybe that is just her thing? Who knows.
Reply Quote
63 Draenei Paladin
Then we have 4 Cloud Serpent Ancients: Onyx Serpent Zhao-Ren, Jade Serpent Yu'lon, The Azure Serpent and of course Tsulong the raid boss.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]