When are the team rating changes going live?

90 Night Elf Rogue
You know, when they said more active teams would benefit from playing more often and how they said they would energize ladder teams etc etc
Reply Quote
Lies to keep you playing.
Reply Quote
Community Manager
11/19/2012 04:51 PMPosted by Themperor
You know, when they said more active teams would benefit from playing more often and how they said they would energize ladder teams etc etc

The new system should be arriving in patch 5.1.

Update: I was just informed that the rating inflation system still needs refinement, and so will very likely not make patch 5.1. Apologies for the miscommunication, all.
Edited by Daxxarri on 11/20/2012 10:12 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
'
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Shaman
So your ratings will no longer be based on how well you do but how much you play?
Reply Quote
Community Manager
11/19/2012 06:22 PMPosted by Misbelief
So your ratings will no longer be based on how well you do but how much you play?

No. Excerpted from the blog here:

However, we took a hard look at the way we measure Team Rating, and came to the conclusion that our formula doesn’t do a good enough job of measuring the potential for improvement over the course of a season. While your skill may not necessarily improve over the course of a season, your gear definitely does, and that should have an effect on the relative power of your team. We’re currently working on a change to allow Team Ratings to grow faster over time, as long as you keep playing. We don’t have any specifics to share yet, but this correction will have the added benefit that players who continue playing will be capable of reaching higher Team Ratings, and therefore potential access to rewards, than someone who stops playing and sits on their rating.

As a potential example let’s say the Fatty Goat Steaks have a Team Rating of 2700 and the Mushan Tongues have a Team Rating of 2500. The Fatty Goat Steaks decide their Team Rating is high enough that they’re going to sit out the rest of the season. The Mushan Tongues keep playing each week, their gear gradually improves, and they continue to win many of their matches. Because of the new inflation component, their Team Rating rises, let’s say, 300 additional points to 2800. They are now higher ranked than the Fatty Goat Steaks. If the Fatty Goat Steaks decide to jump back into Arena matches, they can benefit from the inflation as well, but they’re going to have to play and win to catch up. It’s not going to be a system where you have to play every day just to defend your rating, but certainly one where you can’t sit at the top doing nothing and collect your rewards at the end. We’ll have more details on exactly how this system will work as we get closer to its implementation.

We believe this adjustment to the Team Rating formula will have a similar benefit to the “rating decay” that some of you have been asking for, but will feel more positive – rather than feeling like you must keep running just to stay in place (i.e. keep your current score), players that continue participating will be rewarded with higher Team Ratings. As a season wears on, this should also make upper brackets more active as well.
Reply Quote

While your skill may not necessarily improve over the course of a season, your gear definitely does, and that should have an effect on the relative power of your team.

All arena teams gear improves at roughly the same rate. So no, your gear doesn't have an effect on the "relative" power of your team.
Edited by Boolo on 11/19/2012 6:38 PM PST
Reply Quote
Thank you.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid

While your skill may not necessarily improve over the course of a season, your gear definitely does, and that should have an effect on the relative power of your team.

All arena teams gear improves at roughly the same rate. So no, your gear doesn't have an effect on the "relative" power of your team.

Technically if someone starts the season late, they're behind the curve and will have a disadvantage.
Reply Quote

Technically if someone starts the season late, they're behind the curve and will have a disadvantage.

If you start the season late you won't be getting as much bonus for playing lots of games so you will be even further behind. This will be even worse with the new gear upgrade system since it will take a long time for a full set.
Edited by Boolo on 11/19/2012 7:14 PM PST
Reply Quote
Certain classes scale better when they get more gear then others.
Reply Quote
Community Manager
Update: I was just informed that the rating inflation system still needs refinement, and so will very likely not make patch 5.1.

Apologies for the miscommunication, all.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
11/19/2012 06:20 PMPosted by Daxxarri

Update: I was just informed that the rating inflation system still needs refinement, and so will very likely not make patch 5.1. Apologies for the miscommunication, all.

HA.

So we won't see the change for several seasons. Fanfreakingtastic.
Reply Quote
18 Dwarf Hunter
11/20/2012 10:18 AMPosted by Gruklaar

HA.

So we won't see the change for several seasons. Fanfreakingtastic.

Then why don't you come up with a formula then. They have PHD mathematicians trying to figure out an equation for that.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
So let me get this straight, a team playing at 2700 (who should already have their gear) quits playing and sits on their rating. Another team playing at 2500 (who should also have their gear) decides to continue playing (and winning). The lower rated team (who is active) can now surpass the higher rated team (who is not active)? Am I getting all this right? If so then I must say, bravo, fantastic implement.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
Am I getting all this right? If so then I must say, bravo, fantastic implement.

That's the plan, but we won't see it in 5.1. Frankly, I doubt they'll ever implement it now.

Blizzard does a lot of talking.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
Speaking of 5.1 can we get an estimate on when that should be going live, I would love to start recording games on my mac again... Hope this issue actually gets resolved. Maybe you guys could work it into one of these extended maintenance days perhaps? Aside from that, I am pretty eager to find out if my classes only viable pvp spec is going to be nerfed, havn't seen anything in patch notes but there has been ALOT of talk in the forums.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]