Hunter: concerns with BM spec AOE

58 Blood Elf Death Knight
First and foremost I'm absolutely thrilled that BM spec is finally viable again, and in many cases amazing - not to mention it has so much more to manage and do, which is really nice! I'm grateful to finally be able to play the spec I enjoy most again, much less a vastly improved version of it.

Having said that, I don't feel that BM is very competitive in terms of AOE damage. If I blow multiple cooldowns - Bestial Wrath, Lynx Rush, etc - I can do solid damage on large pulls, for sure. Far less, however, than I can as Survival by simply dropping an explosive trap and spamming Multi-shot.

Beast Cleave in particular is mostly unremarkable, doing paltry damage without an insane number of procs/cooldowns/etc bolstering it. I understand that certain pets bring AOE damage spells, like worms, dragonhawks, etc - my concern, based on comments I've read, is that BM AOE damage is potentially balanced around these pets and their respective abilities. Would it not make more sense to remove 'gimmicky' AOE spells like Burrow and balance BM AOE damage around constants like Beast Cleave/Multi Shot/etc?
Reply Quote
First and foremost I'm absolutely thrilled that BM spec is finally viable again, and in many cases amazing - not to mention it has so much more to manage and do, which is really nice! I'm grateful to finally be able to play the spec I enjoy most again, much less a vastly improved version of it.

Having said that, I don't feel that BM is very competitive in terms of AOE damage. If I blow multiple cooldowns - Bestial Wrath, Lynx Rush, etc - I can do solid damage on large pulls, for sure. Far less, however, than I can as Survival by simply dropping an explosive trap and spamming Multi-shot.

Beast Cleave in particular is mostly unremarkable, doing paltry damage without an insane number of procs/cooldowns/etc bolstering it. I understand that certain pets bring AOE damage spells, like worms, dragonhawks, etc - my concern, based on comments I've read, is that BM AOE damage is potentially balanced around these pets and their respective abilities. Would it not make more sense to remove 'gimmicky' AOE spells like Burrow and balance BM AOE damage around constants like Beast Cleave/Multi Shot/etc?

Back in Beta, Beast Cleave was quite good. Then it got nerfed up the wazoo. Blizzard never was very good at being subtle, they go from one extreme to the other.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Hunter
Beast Cleave needs a 50% increase in duration, and it needs to affect Kill Command. If those two changes were made, Beast Cleave would actually be an interesting and useful ability. As it is now, it's complete garbage apart from some gimmicky encounters.
Edited by Kennyloggins on 11/17/2012 11:47 AM PST
Reply Quote
100 Troll Hunter
11/17/2012 11:46 AMPosted by Kennyloggins
Beast Cleave needs a 50% increase in duration, and it needs to affect Kill Command. If those two changes were made, Beast Cleave would actually be an interesting and useful ability. As it is now, it's complete garbage apart from some gimmicky encounters.

Besides damage, Beast Cleave needs to be disconnected from pet attacks. Make the pet do the full damage meant by a single proc of beast cleave instantly, so we can Multi-shot spam without wasting BC procs...or make it stack. Either way, not being able to double spam is what hurts it the most.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Hunter

Besides damage, Beast Cleave needs to be disconnected from pet attacks. Make the pet do the full damage meant by a single proc of beast cleave instantly, so we can Multi-shot spam without wasting BC procs...or make it stack. Either way, not being able to double spam is what hurts it the most.

Why would this make anything better? In the end we are barely able to generate enough focus to have 100% uptime as it is. With your idea, beast cleave would still be almost completely worthless, not to mention even more boring.
Edited by Kennyloggins on 11/17/2012 6:42 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Troll Hunter
11/17/2012 11:46 AMPosted by Kennyloggins

That would be a reasonable change.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Hunter
Both Beast Cleave and Bombardment need buffs.

I mean, currently, Hunters need buffs period. But BM and MM's aoe particularly needs buffs.

The vast majority of SV's aoe is from ISS/SrS, so bumping Multishot to ~100% weapon, and Bombardment and Beast Cleave to ~60% would benefit BM/MM without overpowering SV's aoe.
Reply Quote
58 Blood Elf Death Knight
Some great replies here. I do think that the BC nerf was overdone, considering Multi-shot damage isn't that great for BM to begin with. Only in those 'the stars are aligned' moments where basically everything that can proc has proc'd + cooldowns blown do I see solid damage from either.

As I mentioned above, as surv spec I can simply drop a trap and spam Multi Shot and do incredible AOE damage.

I know that BM spec is the 'go to' spec atm, and that it is very very powerful in many circumstances, but hopefully that doesn't make the state of its AOE acceptable.

Both Beast Cleave and Bombardment need buffs.

I mean, currently, Hunters need buffs period. But BM and MM's aoe particularly needs buffs.

I don't play MM spec, I wasn't aware there were issues with its AOE as well.
Edited by Jaecelynn on 11/19/2012 6:22 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]