Blood Elves in the Horde

90 Human Warrior
On a related note, the Horde needs some playable ogres.

I'd totally be ok with this.
Reply Quote
1 Blood Elf Rogue
11/17/2012 06:44 PMPosted by Omacron
Most people who want the blood elves in the alliance (or playable alliance high elves for that matter) almost definitely didn't play WCII and probably didn't play WCIII either. They just assume that high elves have to be the "good guys" and on the same side as humans and dwarves.

How do you figure? I have quite a few friends (myself included back in Vanilla) who were fans of high elven rangers in wc2 and 3 and were rather disappointed that they weren't an option in WoW. Blood elf Hunters and Human hunters both sort of fit the niche in different ways, but neither are exact, so some people are still upset.

Of course, even with those the archetype doesn't entirely exist with the whole hunter-pet thematic, but that's another thread's discussion entirely.

11/17/2012 07:02 PMPosted by Omacron
You can play a high elf! They're called "blood elves". They're canonically the same race.

I think it's weird that in the game's Story Forum we have people so willing to brush away thematic nuances like this.
Since WC3, Warcraft has been your unconventional fantasy setting where orcs aren't strictly evil and elves side with them against humans and dwarves.

The elves were alliance affiliated in WC3. It wasn't until WoW that they joined the horde.
If they can't take that and insist on a setting that's more Tolkien like, they can go somewhere else.

They're not asking for things to be more Tolkien like. They're asking for things to be more... classic Warcraft like.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Shaman
The whole scourge thing ought not to matter since they'd bowed out of the Alliance and didn't rejoin till they got stomped.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
11/17/2012 07:35 PMPosted by Aureus
How do you figure? I have quite a few friends (myself included back in Vanilla) who were fans of high elven rangers in wc2 and 3 and were rather disappointed that they weren't an option in WoW. Blood elf Hunters and Human hunters both sort of fit the niche in different ways, but neither are exact, so some people are still upset.

Simply put? The majority of WoW players have never played WCIII, and even fewer played WCII. Besides, you being disappointed that there were no high elf archers in Vanilla was just like my disappointment that there were no (and still aren't) ogres of any kind. The series changes. Futhermore, blood elves are high elves. A blood elf archer is a high elf archer. They're in game.

I think it's weird that in the game's Story Forum we have people so willing to brush away thematic nuances like this.

The nuance that people brush away is that the difference between self identified high elves and blood elves is primarily a political and to a far lesser extent aesthetic one. They've been established as belonging to the same race (and thus, species) since TFT and further reinforced by the encyclopedia published at the same time as TBC.

The elves were alliance affiliated in WC3. It wasn't until WoW that they joined the horde.

The elves weren't alliance affiliated in WCIII. Or rather, the nation of Quel'thalas wasn't. Quel'thalas left the Alliance along with Gilneas and Stromgarde. The elven units in the base game were from dalaran (sorceresses) or independents affiliated with the church of light. The elven government did not rejoin the Alliance until TFT when they were already blood elves, and then they left it in that very same campaign and joined the Illidari. Out of any nation in the series, Que'thalas has changed its affiliation the most.

They're not asking for things to be more Tolkien like. They're asking for things to be more... classic Warcraft like.

Elves being in the Alliance wont make it more like classic Warcraft. Classic warcraft was a story of armies and societies, modern warcraft is a story of individual heroes. We're never getting classic warcraft back.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
11/17/2012 07:27 PMPosted by Mordstreich
Same race, different affiliations, and one could argue biologically different.

The differences between High Elves and Blood Elves are only idealogical and politcal. With that said, I was hoping for reconciliation between the 2 elf factions, but the events of 5.1 is still better than being ignored and given a leader story that was between BC and Wrath. While I personally support a neutral Quel'thalas status, status quo id fine too.
Reply Quote
91 Undead Warlock
11/17/2012 08:17 PMPosted by Damila
While I personally support a neutral Quel'thalas status, status quo id fine too.

If Quel'Thalas goes neutral, then what would the Alliance loose in return, since it would further unbalance zones and capitals.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
11/17/2012 08:18 PMPosted by Ximothy
If Quel'Thalas goes neutral, then what would the Alliance loose in return, since it would further unbalance zones and capitals.

1.) The Draenai will leave the Allance to form the Army of Light.
2.) The Horde will get Ogres or make nice with a faction of Vrykul if the player base wants something less monsterous in terms of looks.

Edit: either or, not both for claification.
Edited by Damila on 11/17/2012 8:37 PM PST
Reply Quote
100 Human Warrior
11/17/2012 08:18 PMPosted by Ximothy

War isn't fair, etc
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
11/17/2012 08:41 PMPosted by Mordstreich

War isn't fair, etc

Vidya games are.
Reply Quote
1 Human Paladin
Instead of High Elves, I want better models and lore for Nigh Elves. On top of that, I want unique skins/models for High Borne Kal'dorei, Dragonmaw/Mag'har Orcs, Forsaken High Elves, and Wildhammer/Dark Iron Dwarves.

Honestly, the whole High Elf boat has sunk. It's been sunk since TBC, and I dont think we'll ever see Quel'dorei as a playable race for WoW (Maybe WoW 2)
Reply Quote
62 Orc Death Knight

War isn't fair, etc

Prehaps, however we have to consider gameplay mechanics there, blood elves would not make since going neutral because they are originally horde. the pandaren works because they were neutral to begin with. However with the current turn of events there is no way blood elves are going to affiliate or become playable on the alliance. You'd have a better chance getting tauren to go neutral before the blood elves. Blizz should give allys high elves to end this fuss.
Edited by Kazgro on 11/17/2012 8:58 PM PST
Reply Quote
62 Orc Death Knight
Instead of High Elves, I want better models and lore for Nigh Elves. On top of that, I want unique skins/models for High Borne Kal'dorei, Dragonmaw/Mag'har Orcs, Forsaken High Elves, and Wildhammer/Dark Iron Dwarves.

Honestly, the whole High Elf boat has sunk. It's been sunk since TBC, and I dont think we'll ever see Quel'dorei as a playable race for WoW (Maybe WoW 2)

Or this I'd honestly prefer new models before new races.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
11/17/2012 08:52 PMPosted by Kazgro
Blizz should give allys high elves to end this fuss.

But High Elves aren't separate race from Blood Elves, that's the problem. For people who want High Elves to be playable, Quel'thalas has to go neutral. As I said before while I am a neutrality support, because I think it's intereting, I'm fine with the status quo.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
But High Elves aren't separate race from Blood Elves, that's the problem. For people who want High Elves to be playable, Quel'thalas has to go neutral.

Quel'Thalas is under blood elven control. The high elves have no authority there.

They can be found at places like the Allerian Stronghold, Argent Tournament Grounds, Dalaran, Quel'Danil Lodge, Windrunner's Overlook, etc... but not in Quel'Thalas.
Reply Quote
91 Undead Warlock
11/17/2012 08:41 PMPosted by Mordstreich
War isn't fair, etc

War? What the hell does war have to do with gameplay unbalance? A little village here being sacked and fire bombed, or loosing half a zone, or loosing a battle, are all fine, because it's the story. I'm talking about actual gameplay, since not only would the Horde be loosing a city, but two zones to boot, and the zone imbalance is off as it is, no need to make it worse.

Just, throw the High elves into Stormwind with the humans and Pandaren and avoid the fuss of reworking more zones.
Reply Quote
62 Orc Death Knight
Blizz should give allys high elves to end this fuss.

But High Elves aren't separate race from Blood Elves, that's the problem. For people who want High Elves to be playable, Quel'thalas has to go neutral. As I said before while I am a neutrality support, because I think it's intereting, I'm fine with the status quo.

I see were you are coming from and to be honest with myself and everyone here I personally don't want to see high elves playable due to the fact that you just stated they are to similar to the blood elves, If blizz does make more races playable both the alliance and horde deserve a truly unique race instead of a copy and paste job and really making playable high elves wouldn't truly be different then Quel'thalas going neutral(from a gameplay stand point), however I could accept playable high elves because they are technically alliance.
Edited by Kazgro on 11/17/2012 9:21 PM PST
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Death Knight
I think a lot of people just can't live without their traditional, heroic-legolas styled cliche elf, and just absolutely refuse to let it die. The Night Elves are too "Wild" and "Purple" and... that aside, they're kinda hard to root for in recent years.

The problem is, the High Elves are dead. Period. The Scourge killed more elves Santa Claus using Slave Labor, and in the end, what's left is already slim pickings. To still be a High Elf, first, one has to be so die hard loyal to the Alliance as to be willing to commit TREASON against their homeland to do it. If Quel'Thalas, if your homeland still means anything to you, you're Sin'dorei. Keep in mind, the Sin'dorei moniker is meant as a memorial to the 9/10 elves killed by the Scourge and destruction of the Sunwell, so refusing the title is also like peeing on the grave of your own homeland.

That ALSO brings us to rule number 2, which is, any high elf has to be either so strong of will as to be completely able to overcome the biological addiction to magic, or be lucky enough to find a non-demonic source of it to keep from turning Blood Elven, or worse, into a crackelf. Keep in mind that the #1 place for Magic, Quel'Thalas, is practically a plagued smoking crater in the aftermath of the Scourge. Shortly after, the #2 place for magic, Dalaran, also gets the Scourge Treatment. Then nothing short of Archimonde the Defiler finishes off what's left. Finding a suitable source of magic? Good freakin' luck.

To sum up, being a Thalassian is damned hard at this point. Being an untainted, Alliance Aligned Thalassian is damn near impossible. The High Elves are all but non-existent at this point, and they have absolutely no where near the numbers to justify fielding a player race.

As to those who obsess about the Blood Elves taking their place then... Really, minus the skin tone, Blood Elves, in traditional Fantasy Terms, are a LOT closer to the Drow then they are the cliche' Everyelf. They fraternize with demons, their government employes dark magics to mind control their dissidents, they hate their "fair" skinned cousins, and their attitude is anything but noble. In that light, it makes FAR more sense that they're buddies with the Orcs n' Friends then it would if they stuck with the Alliance.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
I think a lot of people just can't live without their traditional, heroic-legolas styled cliche elf, and just absolutely refuse to let it die. The Night Elves are too "Wild" and "Purple" and... that aside, they're kinda hard to root for in recent years.

The problem is, the High Elves are dead. Period. The Scourge killed more elves Santa Claus using Slave Labor, and in the end, what's left is already slim pickings. To still be a High Elf, first, one has to be so die hard loyal to the Alliance as to be willing to commit TREASON against their homeland to do it. If Quel'Thalas, if your homeland still means anything to you, you're Sin'dorei. Keep in mind, the Sin'dorei moniker is meant as a memorial to the 9/10 elves killed by the Scourge and destruction of the Sunwell, so refusing the title is also like peeing on the grave of your own homeland.

That ALSO brings us to rule number 2, which is, any high elf has to be either so strong of will as to be completely able to overcome the biological addiction to magic, or be lucky enough to find a non-demonic source of it to keep from turning Blood Elven, or worse, into a crackelf. Keep in mind that the #1 place for Magic, Quel'Thalas, is practically a plagued smoking crater in the aftermath of the Scourge. Shortly after, the #2 place for magic, Dalaran, also gets the Scourge Treatment. Then nothing short of Archimonde the Defiler finishes off what's left. Finding a suitable source of magic? Good freakin' luck.

To sum up, being a Thalassian is damned hard at this point. Being an untainted, Alliance Aligned Thalassian is damn near impossible. The High Elves are all but non-existent at this point, and they have absolutely no where near the numbers to justify fielding a player race.

As to those who obsess about the Blood Elves taking their place then... Really, minus the skin tone, Blood Elves, in traditional Fantasy Terms, are a LOT closer to the Drow then they are the cliche' Everyelf. They fraternize with demons, their government employes dark magics to mind control their dissidents, they hate their "fair" skinned cousins, and their attitude is anything but noble. In that light, it makes FAR more sense that they're buddies with the Orcs n' Friends then it would if they stuck with the Alliance.

I don't think of Legolas when I think about High Elves. I just think they deserve to be a playable race and Horde can have Ogres. Honestly, THE LAST thing on my mind when I see High Elves is Legolas.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Shaman
Plus there's the whole "Get too close to fel magic and you're a blood elf" bit.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
If High Elves were to become playable, I'd like to see them as a skin/subrace for the Night Elves personally. I would like to see them join with the Highborne and help retake Eldre'thalas, making it the new Quel'dorei capital ingame, or at least part of it, we could still have them ridding Eldre'thalas of Ogres and spirits and what not in certain parts, much like how RFC exists under Orgrimmar.

I think that subraces would be the best option, as they probably wouldn't be as hard to implement as well as other races would benefit as well.

I myself prominently play Blood Elves, but I do rp my current Night Elf characters as Quel'dorei, who share their heritage and their name with the High Elves.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]