It should be made more clear

85 Pandaren Priest
that the Light isn't anything like real world religion (save some similarities to Buddhism and others). When I started playing, I would never touch the priest or paladin because I have always had a bad disposition towards Christianity and other religions similar to it. But a few weeks ago, I discovered that the Light is just the physical embodiment of everything that makes you feel good and connected to the universe and I was instantly like "yes please".

The Light has nothing to do with a diety worship or other modern day religions, and I think that should be made a little more clear to new players. Anyone agree?
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
4/10.
Reply Quote
85 Pandaren Priest
I'm not actually trolling at all, this is a legitimate opinion on how the Light-based classes are portrayed in the game. How could you not think that the Light has anything to do with Catholicism after seeing the Cathedral district in Stormwind?
Reply Quote
90 Troll Priest
You are a... I.. I just don't know what else to say.

0/10
Reply Quote
85 Pandaren Priest
Would you at least mind telling me what the problem is with my post?
Reply Quote
90 Undead Rogue
If you play the game at all, I think it's pretty clear.
Reply Quote
85 Pandaren Priest
11/18/2012 09:06 AMPosted by Nekrokvlt

Mind giving me an example? I gave you an example to my point
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
Sure:

The Cathedral District in SW.

How can you say that ARCHITECTURE made you think that there was a diety?

Lack of iconification, failure to ever MENTION any sort of deity....

Those are the things which should stand out. Not bloody peaked roofs and flying butresses.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
11/18/2012 09:09 AMPosted by Laers

Mind giving me an example? I gave you an example to my point

The fact that the Light is worshipped in some form by many Azerothian races in a variety of ways and your primary argument is based on the Cathedral of Light, which is easily explained by the architectural theme of WoW humans as a whole.
Reply Quote
85 Pandaren Priest
Ok, now I believe that what I said was stupid and foolish, and I apologize if I rustled anyone's jimmies and thank you two for giving me actual reasons why what I said was asinine.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
It happens.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
You are a... I.. I just don't know what else to say.

0/10
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Priest
The fact that nobody shoots holy beams, heals by chanelling or ressurects people with Christianity didn't give it away?
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
Believe it or not I had this same distaste towards priests for a long time for the same reason. All these people saying you are trolling simply aren't affected by the role playing sense of the game. I dont roleplay at all, but things such as this still matter to me. Christianity is one of the most corrupt religions to date. Spreading so much hate and segregation in the name of the lord. If Christianity is actually real then I warrant a guess that the devil was actually a clever being and realized the best way to corrupt the human race was by using his influence and manipulation to alter the bible in a way that spread hate towards people of different religions/lifestyles. An easy win on his part. Religion talk aside as i have no inclination to discuss it here, i agree with the op. Lore in wow is easy to miss due to the boring quest text design. It wasn't until I started reading the books that i fell in love with the priest class. This isn't really blizzards fault, and more our own for not studying stuff more in depth if we really wish to know. But having a bit more easy to find explanation on the light in wow would be okay with me.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Priest
Every race that can be a priest worship different things in different ways.

Night Elves worship Elune.

Draenei, dwarves, and humans worship the light.

Undead feel the light has forsaken them, so they balance it with shadow or something.

Trolls worship the loa.

Goblins have faith in their money, or some variant.

If the game was real, every race would have different "priest-like" abilities, but for balance and gameplay purposes, they're identical.

EDIT: Also, I think the "Light" is just the feeling of righteousness, which is why the Scarlet Crusade can use it.
Edited by Boojí on 11/20/2012 12:39 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Priest
useless thread is useless
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
I don't agree with you OP that blizz should address this issue, but I did share many of the same feelings about Priests/Paladins before I finally decided to try one. I wanted a healer and thought that I would start with the most traditional pure healer and the Priest seemed to fit the role. I'm glad that I did, it's by far my favourite class to date.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
every race would have different "priest-like" abilities, but for balance and gameplay purposes, they're identical.

Each race did have unique abilities.
http://www.wowwiki.com/Priest_racial_abilities

Sadly the mooks at Blizz removed them. GG Blizz.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
I think a lot of people are simply satisfied to play the game and take things for what they are. In a world of magic, dragons, orcs and elves, you really need to abandon any prejudices or preconceived notions of what the analogs may or may not be with the real world. I think there is plenty of lore to be found, enjoyed and digested, but you have to play the game to actually be made aware of it. If at the character creation screen you say I don't want to play a Priest or a Paladin because they're champions of the 'Holy Light' and that just sounds to much like Christianity (a philosophy which incidentally would be characterized by any 'Christian' scholar as the furthest from the teachings of Christ), then as a Hunter, a Druid, a Mage or any of the others you won't really be exposed to what the Holy Light is because your class isn't connected with it.

If it really matters to you there are many resources at your fingertips like Wowpedia that will provide you with more than enough lore for you to make an informed Role Playing choice.

The Light (Wowpedia Article)
http://www.wowpedia.org/Light

Cult of Forgotten Shadow (Wowpedia Article, if you plan to play as a Shadow priest)
http://www.wowpedia.org/Forgotten_Shadow
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]