Have you ever "evolved" a character?

85 Pandaren Priest
For example, I may level this character to 85, then make this character become a paladin.

The story: after witnessing the dreary state that Azeroth is in after experiencing outland, northrend, and the whole deathwing escapade he sees that he may need to do more than just heal and support. Especially with the Horde conflict coming up, he realizes that to truly help his people he needs to join a paladin order and train to become a paladin to even further his powers and faith in the light.

Thoughts? Ever done something similar?
Reply Quote
64 Blood Elf Priest
You cannot become a paladin as a Pandaren. As much sense as it seems for a natural shift character wise, you cannot do it class wise. For instance, claiming to be a paladin will not make you one, the use of the Light is not anything like the Pandaren healing or even the ways of fighting are completely different.

It would be totally lore breaking and rp wise you would be laughed at. If you want to be a paladin then roll a race that has the ability.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Aka, Blood Elf, Draenei, Human, Tauren, and Dwarf. In this guys backstory, he was originally a priest back before the Second War, longing to do something more with his knack of the Holy Light. And when the call for paladins came out, he became one.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
This character was a warrior until a personal tragedy sent her to the brink of insanity and it was only newly found faith in the light that saved her.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Mage
If you want to RP as a pandaren paladin you are totally able to do so. There is, or was, a worgen warrior on Moon Guard who started out as RPing as a feral who was taken under the wing of a blind paladin and was taught the ways of the Light and he ICly RP'd as a worgen paladin.

My suggestion - find a good amount of cloth armour that isn't robes and looks kind of close to what a paladin would wear and wear that - wield a good looking mace and see if you can't find one that looks similar to an off-hand that also looks like a mace.

In short - you can RP a pandaren paladin and you won't get laughed at and you won't be breaking RP.
Reply Quote
29 Draenei Shaman
If you want to RP as a pandaren paladin you are totally able to do so. There is, or was, a worgen warrior on Moon Guard who started out as RPing as a feral who was taken under the wing of a blind paladin and was taught the ways of the Light and he ICly RP'd as a worgen paladin.

My suggestion - find a good amount of cloth armour that isn't robes and looks kind of close to what a paladin would wear and wear that - wield a good looking mace and see if you can't find one that looks similar to an off-hand that also looks like a mace.

In short - you can RP a pandaren paladin and you won't get laughed at and you won't be breaking RP.

No. No. NO. Lore wise, Pandarens can't be paladins for the simple fact that when the Order of the Silver Hand was formed, Pandaria was still shrouded in mist. Pandaria has been isolated from the rest of Azeroth since The Sundering, 10 000 years ago and has only recently rejoined the rest of Azeroth. There is no possible way a Pandaren could have learned the ways of a paladin.

You cannot become a paladin as a Pandaren. As much sense as it seems for a natural shift character wise, you cannot do it class wise. For instance, claiming to be a paladin will not make you one, the use of the Light is not anything like the Pandaren healing or even the ways of fighting are completely different.

It would be totally lore breaking and rp wise you would be laughed at. If you want to be a paladin then roll a race that has the ability.

I have to agree here. If you want to change your priest into a paladin rp wise, then use a human, dwarf, draenei, blood elf or tauren as those races can be both priests and paladins. If you want your pandaren priest to learn a way to fight using a weapon, why not the way of the monk?
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I rped a priest who was formerly a paladin, but, due to a crippling battle injury, had to take more of a back seat approach to the Light and turned his mind to study.

I also have a former warlock who managed to sever her ability to summon demons. She basically couldn't do anything to defend herself without succumbing to the siren call of fel magics she rejected, so a rogue took her under his wing and has been teaching her gunwork- she's too finnicky for daggers.

Progress is very, very slow, but I ended up rerolling her as a hunter, since she can't do demon stuff anymore at all and won't touch magic. She won't have a pet ICly because 'animals are filthy'. Heh.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
I had a Priestess of the Light who sustained a crisis a faith while being tortured and she fell under the influence of the Shadow; which of course didn't mean great things for her tenure in the Church, and she was subsequently excommunicated. She gets depressed, takes her own life and wakes up a Death Knight serving the Lich King at Acherus.

Now she makes ice statues with all the free time that comes with Arthas being dead.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin

I don't get this attitude! I do agree that you might get laughed at, but I don't think that's necessarily right!

No, you wouldn't be a Pandaren Paladin of the Silver Hand- but I don't think you necessarily need to be Of The Silver Hand to be a paladin.

What's to stop someone can already wield the Light, from training to wield the Light differently than they presently do? I mean, they have the ability to use Light. Why, exactly, do they completely lack the capacity to train as a paladin, then?

I mean, how does a new paladin get trained at all, if it MUST be of the Silver Hand?? That would mean ALL PALADINS MUST BE SILVER HAND. Which isn't true- Hello Vindicators!

Seriously, is there a lore reason why a pandaren gifted with the Light couldn't train to become a paladin?

But regardless, you WILL get people who will refuse to RP with you because it isn't possible class-wise.

Game mechanics =/= RP mechanics

I can kind of see the argument against worgen being paladin because of their curse, but I still don't think it's impossible. As far as pandaren? I see NO reason why one couldn't adopt paladinly beliefs.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
No. No. NO. Lore wise, Pandarens can't be paladins for the simple fact that when the Order of the Silver Hand was formed, Pandaria was still shrouded in mist. Pandaria has been isolated from the rest of Azeroth since The Sundering, 10 000 years ago and has only recently rejoined the rest of Azeroth. There is no possible way a Pandaren could have learned the ways of a paladin.

the sunwalkers would like a word with you
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
11/18/2012 02:04 PMPosted by Dyna
is there a lore reason why a pandaren gifted with the Light couldn't train to become a paladin?

pandaren don't use the light the same way most other races do

if a pandaren were to become a paladin i think it would be along a similar line as the sunwalkers

the pandaren are more in tune with the elemental spirits(wugou, huo, shu, and dafeng) and the august celestials
Reply Quote
29 Draenei Shaman
Seriously, is there a lore reason why a pandaren gifted with the Light couldn't train to become a paladin?

Yes. Up until recently, Pandaria was shrouded in heavy mists. They had no knowledge of what was going on in the world, just like the rest of Azeroth didn't even know Pandaria existed until relatively recently. (I know Chen was around during the founding of Orgrimmar in Warcraft 3, not sure about before that as I didn't play Warcraft one or two). So the first Pandarens as a race would have known about paladins would only be since the mists lifted, forcing them to rejoin Azeroth. There is no possible way for a Pandaren to be a fully trained paladin.

I mean, how does a new paladin get trained at all, if it MUST be of the Silver Hand?? That would mean ALL PALADINS MUST BE SILVER HAND. Which isn't true- Hello Vindicators!
No one has said in this thread that all paladins had to be Silver Hand paladins. Vindicators, Blood Knights and Sunwalkers are all paladins. The paladin order survived because some of the remaining Silver Hand paladins moved to Stormwind. (Up until the third war, Silver Hand paladins were based in Lordaeron, a totally different kingdom to Stormwind.)
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Yes. Up until recently, Pandaria was shrouded in heavy mists. They had no knowledge of what was going on in the world, just like the rest of Azeroth didn't even know Pandaria existed until relatively recently. (I know Chen was around during the founding of Orgrimmar in Warcraft 3, not sure about before that as I didn't play Warcraft one or two). So the first Pandarens as a race would have known about paladins would only be since the mists lifted, forcing them to rejoin Azeroth. There is no possible way for a Pandaren to be a fully trained paladin.

Okay, see, this is fine and makes sense. But a pandaren COULD conceivably start training now, yes?

I agree, it would be silly to RP as a Pandaren Paladin at this point in time.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
((

I first created this character as a warlock, and she was going to be part of an Alliance 3-play with my partner and one of our friends. But said friend stopped playing for a while and the character languished around Level 14. In the meantime, I was leveling another human warlock and had her significantly leveled up.

When I first hit 55 on a character, I decided I wanted a Horde DK and an Alliance DK. Since I felt Bretanya the warlock was a redundant character, I retconned her into a DK.

However, in her backstory, she was still a 'lock in life, and died in Lordaeron's defense against the Scourge around Year 20.

So it's sorta roundabout, but I guess you can say this character evolved :)

))
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
11/18/2012 02:38 PMPosted by Kassalla
No one has said in this thread that all paladins had to be Silver Hand paladins

nobody said this

but YOU implied it

No. No. NO. Lore wise, Pandarens can't be paladins for the simple fact that when the Order of the Silver Hand was formed, Pandaria was still shrouded in mist.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Mage

There is no possible way a Draenei can be a paladin. The Draenei were hiding out or fleeing Draenor when the Order of the Silver Hand was formed. The Draenei had been isolated from Azeroth since before the Sundering, over 10,000 years ago and have only recently came to Azeroth. There is no possible way a Draenei could have learned the ways of a paladin.

... This is me being sarcastic, Kass - the Silver Hand is not the end all be all of paladins. And, as others pointed out, you need to be on top of word choice.

Also, as a further note, Blizzard has screwed over their original concept of paladins quite noticeably. Originally, paladins were only warriors of the Light. But since then they've evolved somewhat - most notably in the case of the tauren. And before you bring it up - yes they may be channeling the Light, but they're calling upon their deity An'She to do so - not the Light.

So the definition of what a paladin is has been more broadened to just 'holy warriors'.

Also, humourously enough - Pandaria was shrouded in mists for 10,000 years. The Wandering Isle has been roving around Azeroth and allowing pandaren to explore the lands of the Eastern Kingdoms and Kalimdor. So it's still possible for a pandaren to be a paladin by dint of the fact there have been those who have probably stayed on the mainlands long enough to learn from humans and dwarves.

So yeah - a Wandering Isle pandaren - who could have logically been around since vanilla - could very easily have decided to become a paladin of the Light by the sheer fact that not all RP'd pandaren have to be born on Pandaria. Just like they don't all have to come from the Wandering Isle.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
11/18/2012 02:22 PMPosted by Dragonson
the sunwalkers would like a word with you

Sunwalkers are only paladins due to ingame mechanics. Technically they are druids of the sun, as opposed to normal druids who use the moon in their normal ways of study.
Reply Quote
29 Draenei Shaman
11/18/2012 04:30 PMPosted by Maoseitun
This is me being sarcastic, Kass - the Silver Hand is not the end all be all of paladins. And, as others pointed out, you need to be on top of word choice.

Poor word choice aside, The Order of the Silver Hand is the first recorded instance of paladins on Azeroth. I would also like to point out something I said in a later post.
11/18/2012 02:38 PMPosted by Kassalla
Vindicators, Blood Knights and Sunwalkers are all paladins.

11/18/2012 04:30 PMPosted by Maoseitun
So it's still possible for a pandaren to be a paladin by dint of the fact there have been those who have probably stayed on the mainlands long enough to learn from humans and dwarves.
Name one.

While there is nothing in the lore to refute what you claim, there is also nothing to back it up either.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Mage
11/18/2012 05:23 PMPosted by Kassalla
Name one.

Chen Stormstout has been rambling across Azeroth since the Third War.
Reply Quote
29 Draenei Shaman
11/18/2012 05:54 PMPosted by Maoseitun
Name one.

Chen Stormstout has been rambling across Azeroth since the Third War.

I was waiting for that. Yes Chen has been rambling across Azeroth. But, a couple of points to note. Unless I'm forgetting something, he never came across the alliance. The only campaigns I remember him being a part of in Warcraft 3 were horde ones. Secondly. Chen was and still is a monk. More specifically, a brewmaster monk. He never learned the ways of the paladin. Try again.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]