Have you ever "evolved" a character?

90 Dwarf Mage
That would mean the pandaren in question would need to find a way back to Shen-zin Su. And I don't think many pandaren -did- return to Shen-zin Su after stepping off of it.
Reply Quote
36 Undead Priest
Could you both just stop arguing and answer the OPs question instead of derailing this?
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Warrior
Takumi is a warrior, but he grew up being trained as a monk.
I'm using the minor glyphs so it looks like he uses the elements in his attack, like the Glyph of Burning Anger, and the Glyph of Thunder Strike.
Reply Quote
89 Human Paladin
I'm terrible at leveling alts and stuff, so I haven't done this.... but in my character's backstory, he used to be a warrior.
Reply Quote
1 Human Rogue
11/19/2012 12:29 PMPosted by Maoseitun
Mara, I heartily disagree. It isn't creating a character who is unique for the sake of being unique. But I'm looking at it in a realistic sort of way.

No, you're not. You're looking at it in the Silverflame way.

I really didn't want to get back invovled in this thread as soon as I realized who you were. Honestly, I really hate arguing with you. Why? Arguingwith you is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter how good you are at chess, the pigeon is just going to knock over all the pieces, crap on the board, and strut around the table acting like he won.

You have a good grasp of the lore, but you flaunt that as a means via which to twist, alter, break, or otherwise molest it to your will. The difference me and you is that, despite knowing as much lore as you, I don't try and justify things like half-dragons, scourge created vampires who are vulnerable to silver and sunlight, human liches who made pacts 4 thousand years ago with dreadlords, Pandaren paladins, and a slew of other characters who while "technically" possible are just out of left field.

Honestly, I'd say the fact that every knowledgable RP forum regular who's posted in this thread is disagreeing with you should be enough to dissude you.. but I know better by now. I know that you're that pigeon who's just going to strut around like you've won on a crap covered board no matter what's said, so I'll just speak my peace and move on.

Up until TBC (so.. 3 years ago, lore wise) there was only one path to becoming a paladin: Being trained by those who belonged to the Church of the Holy Light. An order of paladins which only accepted humans and recently dwarves, but no others.

When TBC came out the Blood Elves and Draenei came onto the scene; though only the Draenei were in a position to train others to be paladins.

So let's go through this.

You're proposing that this Pandaren of yours was one of a handful which left the turtle's back and went to stay amongst the Alliance. That this Pandaren then, somehow, was able to gain enough trust and respect from the Church in order to be the single deviation from a strict racial following in their order of paladins or to be the only non Draenei vindicator ever trained.

Yeah, I'm not buying it. This is very different from Pandaren monks wandering out and teaching a few adventuring spirits or curious people their practices. This is on a whole 'nother level. In fact, there's a term for this.

11/18/2012 07:18 PMPosted by Dragonson
special snowflake sound any better?

That's basically all there is to say about it. I'm sorry that you can't see past all that muck about "freedom" you've got in your eyes, but this is the very definition of the term. A one in a million shot which has no precident in lore and would, in and of itself, make you a major lore character; or at least something worthy of a shout-out in lore.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Mage
11/19/2012 05:10 PMPosted by Hallinton
I really didn't want to get back invovled in this thread as soon as I realized who you were. Honestly, I really hate arguing with you. Why? Arguingwith you is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter how good you are at chess, the pigeon is just going to knock over all the pieces, crap on the board, and strut around the table acting like he won.

Is it odd that that's how I feel about you?

The difference me and you is that, despite knowing as much lore as you, I don't try and justify things like half-dragons, scourge created vampires who are vulnerable to silver and sunlight, human liches who made pacts 4 thousand years ago with dreadlords, Pandaren paladins, and a slew of other characters who while "technically" possible are just out of left field.

I don't think you have as good a grasp... considering I had to teach you about a main facet of this expansion two months after it was released.

Honestly, I'd say the fact that every knowledgable RP forum regular who's posted in this thread is disagreeing with you should be enough to dissude you.. but I know better by now. I know that you're that pigeon who's just going to strut around like you've won on a crap covered board no matter what's said, so I'll just speak my peace and move on.

I know not to listen to people who are arguing against an idea that is beyond technically sound and actually has an ability to be true. Especially when 3/4 of those people don't know a single thing about the Wandering Isle or the lore they profess to know so much about.

You're proposing that this Pandaren of yours was one of a handful which left the turtle's back and went to stay amongst the Alliance. That this Pandaren then, somehow, was able to gain enough trust and respect from the Church in order to be the single deviation from a strict racial following in their order of paladins or to be the only non Draenei vindicator ever trained.

It's not my pandaren? Or do you just mean the pandaren in question?

First: Wouldn't be hard to gain the trust and respect of members of the Church. Pandaren follow a path that breeds a group who are: adventurous, charitable, against forces of evil, and oppose any form of tyranny - many of these are quite valued in the Alliance, if it hasn't been known.

Second: Doesn't have to be the Church itself that the pandaren gained any of this with. A paladin could willingly take on the pandaren and then vouch for said pandaren to become an ordained member of the Church.

Third: How are they a single deviation? Unless you're broadening the strictures of race to dwarves and High Elves along with humans? Otherwise, and this may just be stupid Silverflame talking, there seems to be a requirement for a dwarven and elf church in place alongside the human church to ordain their paladins.

Hal, I've honestly respected you from before - but anymore I feel you're too bitter and jaded and narrow-minded to honestly give good advice. You've lost the joy of RP - which is about creating an interesting character - and have replaced it with... being every other person.

You bring up characters from the past which you alone have despised and others have appreciated for the creativity behind them - others that are not sycophantic followers. You act like you're the end all be all and the law of RP, and it's gotten to your head. I feel like you should stick to your original plan and keep out of the thread, you have nothing constructive to add except for more argument that isn't necessary.

Doesn't matter if you have a hard time buying something. Or three other people on this singular forum that is probably host to an extremely fractional percentage of the RP community. You are a fraction of a fraction of a fraction. And your word carries about as much weight as a sieve carries water.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
also

i think it's been implied that the last time the wandering isle made landfall was in kalimdor

and he let off chen stormstout

Wanderlust

Many generations ago, a particularly bold pandaren named Liu Lang set out to see what was beyond the mists by setting sail upon the back of a giant sea turtle: Shen-zin Su. As the turtle grew, so did Liu Lang’s desire to explore the world. Others joined him, until eventually a whole colony of pandaren explorers travelled the ocean, living atop the expansive "Wandering Isle". Although the Wandering Isle hasn’t made landfall in many years, those who live there are still ignited by the spirit of adventure.

Chen Stormstout is a native of the Wandering Isle, as are any players who choose to create pandaren characters. They are a rare breed, on the whole far more adventurous than their land-locked and long-lost relatives on mainland Pandaria. When the great turtle is threatened, and their whole wandering homeland is in jeopardy of being swallowed by the sea, players will have to accelerate their training and spring into action.[4]
Third War
BMWC3.gif
WC3RoC logo 16x32.png This section concerns content exclusive to Warcraft III.

Pandaren wanderers are very rare, but the deeds of a few are recorded in recent times. One brave soul that spirited his way into the annals of Azerothian history was the brewmaster Chen Stormstout. Warcraft III players may recall his chance meeting with Rexxar in the game’s bonus missions, where he worked together with Thrall to found the new orcish homeland in Durotar. Never one to stay put for long, Chen moved on, always seeking new ingredients for the perfect brew
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
i'm going to quote hal

what he said once and what i have said twice

Yeah, I'm not buying it. This is very different from Pandaren monks wandering out and teaching a few adventuring spirits or curious people their practices. This is on a whole 'nother level. In fact, there's a term for this.

11/18/2012 07:18 PMPosted by Dragonson
special snowflake sound any better?

That's basically all there is to say about it. I'm sorry that you can't see past all that muck about "freedom" you've got in your eyes, but this is the very definition of the term. A one in a million shot which has no precident in lore and would, in and of itself, make you a major lore character; or at least something worthy of a shout-out in lore.

and you're still not getting the picture

the wandering isle, once liu lang died, as my above post states, shen zin su was implied to have rarely made landfall

there are no known instances of it reaching landfall on the eastern kingdoms in recent history(since the paladins were created within the last 30 years)

and you are trying to say that one a pandaren somehow joined the alliance and learned the ways of the paladin when THERE IS NO LORE BEHIND THIS REASONING
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Mage
*Facepalm*

You... You don't... Wow, the intelligence quotient for these forums dropped while I was away.

Alright, I'll speak slowly.

The Wandering Isle hasn't been said to have made landfall recently - it did let Chen off, and at least Chen, within the last 10 years or so.

But Chen was just the known and most famous pandaren to be off - there are clearly other pandaren who have been let off - the monk in the Draenei starting area for example. The wandering pandaren ambassador who taught a member of the Scarlet Crusade martial arts.

Pandaren have been on the Eastern Kingdoms and Kalimdor for a while - they live a long time.

So with this knowledge we can correctly surmise that there stands to reason the immense probability that there are pandaren wanderers who have stood with the Alliance on multiple occasions - and I'm still cursing Blizzard for their senseless sweeping generalization of non-canonizing the RPGs as there is much artwork of pandaren fighting alongside members of the Alliance within it.

Anyways - pandaren live at least 120 years. This means that one could have been let off Shen-zin Su fifty years before Vanilla WoW, placing them at eighty years of age, giving them time to go through the entirety of the faith crisis and etc. that I proposed as the possibility for the pandaren turning to the path of the Light.

If you can't comprehend this then you need to take a step back and think before posting.
Reply Quote
36 Undead Priest
*Facepalm*

You... You don't... Wow, the intelligence quotient for these forums dropped while I was away.

Alright, I'll speak slowly.

The Wandering Isle hasn't been said to have made landfall recently - it did let Chen off, and at least Chen, within the last 10 years or so.

But Chen was just the known and most famous pandaren to be off - there are clearly other pandaren who have been let off - the monk in the Draenei starting area for example. The wandering pandaren ambassador who taught a member of the Scarlet Crusade martial arts.

Pandaren have been on the Eastern Kingdoms and Kalimdor for a while - they live a long time.

So with this knowledge we can correctly surmise that there stands to reason the immense probability that there are pandaren wanderers who have stood with the Alliance on multiple occasions - and I'm still cursing Blizzard for their senseless sweeping generalization of non-canonizing the RPGs as there is much artwork of pandaren fighting alongside members of the Alliance within it.

Anyways - pandaren live at least 120 years. This means that one could have been let off Shen-zin Su fifty years before Vanilla WoW, placing them at eighty years of age, giving them time to go through the entirety of the faith crisis and etc. that I proposed as the possibility for the pandaren turning to the path of the Light.

If you can't comprehend this then you need to take a step back and think before posting.

You and Hallinton are all the same.
Answer the OPs question before making this into one big flaming war.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Mage
11/19/2012 09:26 PMPosted by Augustev
You and Hallinton are all the same.

Actually no.

We're both jerks, true.

But he's a puritanical RP jerk and I'm a radical RP jerk.

Think of it like two Inquisitors from WH40k.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
11/19/2012 09:24 PMPosted by Maoseitun

11/19/2012 09:00 PMPosted by Dragonson
Pandaren wanderers are very rare

A one in a million shot which has no precident in lore

i can do it too
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Mage
Do what?

Make a bunch of quotes that have no meaning to them beyond the personal preferences of two puritans?
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
Do what?

Make a bunch of quotes that have no meaning to them beyond the personal preferences of two puritans?

*Facepalm*

i've said everything i wanted to say

hallinton has said everything i wanted to say

so i reiterated the main points by quoting them

and used your quote as backup to said points

also getting tired of arguing so that all quote post was a half-@$$ed rebuttal
Edited by Dragonson on 11/19/2012 9:37 PM PST
Reply Quote
72 Blood Elf Mage
so i reiterated the main points by quoting them

and used your quote as backup to said points

No, Silver actually turns people's quotes back on them. You just took one of his completely out of context and stuck it on your post to look like a smart !@#.

But it backfired. Because you just took his out of context and didn't have any substance to back it up. Now you look like just another Hallinton shoe-licker.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
No, Silver actually turns people's quotes back on them. You just took one of his completely out of context and stuck it on your post to look like a smart !@#.

But it backfired. Because you just took his out of context and didn't have any substance to back it up. Now you look like just another Hallinton shoe-licker.

do what?

no i do not like hallinton

he agreed with me actually

repeated what i said in his usual blunt way

and i'm accused of being a hallinton shoe licker?

aaaaaaannnnd

11/19/2012 09:35 PMPosted by Dragonson

my completely and entirely canonical fact was ignored

11/19/2012 09:00 PMPosted by Dragonson
Pandaren wanderers are very rare,

you're now gauging my argument on the way i presented it and not the facts i said

or something that has been said 5 times now
Edited by Dragonson on 11/19/2012 9:51 PM PST
Reply Quote
72 Blood Elf Mage
if you're really gonna nitpick on how i argue instead of actually argue it's more testament to hall and i leading the debate

I don't care one way or another how this "debate" ends. I'm sorry if I gave that impression. All I was doing was pointing out the poor attempt at turning Silver's own argument against him.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Mage
Dragon, I'll put it this way - while pandaren wanderers may be rare and you still haven't cited a lore source where it says they are rare mind you - and in this case, yes, you do need to cite a lore source. Unlike my argument for why a player character can become a paladin as a pandaren, you stating that the wanderers are rare as a fact needs to be backed up. Anyways, as I was saying before I got side-tracked with you needing more information, while they may be rare - rarity does not negate possibility or probability. Especially considering there has been at least one to encounter the Scarlet Crusade prior to them being xenophobic monsters - which lends itself to being early on in the Crusade's conception.

Mine is a possible-probable.

Yours is a this is true and did happen.
Edited by Maoseitun on 11/19/2012 10:01 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
I don't care one way or another how this "debate" ends. I'm sorry if I gave that impression. All I was doing was pointing out the poor attempt at turning Silver's own argument against him

like i said

11/19/2012 09:35 PMPosted by Dragonson

and now you are derailing a derail

go figure >.>

i used my own argument with his quote

i have no idea what you are trying to say
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
and in this case, yes, you do need to cite a lore source

i thought i did

Wanderlust

Many generations ago, a particularly bold pandaren named Liu Lang set out to see what was beyond the mists by setting sail upon the back of a giant sea turtle: Shen-zin Su. As the turtle grew, so did Liu Lang’s desire to explore the world. Others joined him, until eventually a whole colony of pandaren explorers travelled the ocean, living atop the expansive "Wandering Isle". Although the Wandering Isle hasn’t made landfall in many years, those who live there are still ignited by the spirit of adventure.

Chen Stormstout is a native of the Wandering Isle, as are any players who choose to create pandaren characters. They are a rare breed, on the whole far more adventurous than their land-locked and long-lost relatives on mainland Pandaria. When the great turtle is threatened, and their whole wandering homeland is in jeopardy of being swallowed by the sea, players will have to accelerate their training and spring into action.[4]
Third War
BMWC3.gif
WC3RoC logo 16x32.png This section concerns content exclusive to Warcraft III.

Pandaren wanderers are very rare, but the deeds of a few are recorded in recent times. One brave soul that spirited his way into the annals of Azerothian history was the brewmaster Chen Stormstout. Warcraft III players may recall his chance meeting with Rexxar in the game’s bonus missions, where he worked together with Thrall to found the new orcish homeland in Durotar. Never one to stay put for long, Chen moved on, always seeking new ingredients for the perfect brew

is from wowpedia
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]