Tanking from level 10-20 and onwards.

1 Human Warrior
I've seen that there's a wealth of knowledge for aspiring tanks on how to keep the squishies alive in higher levels, and lots of hints and tricks for those of a higher level to manage damages, etc...

...but what about those of us creeping up on level 15 who are about to jump into tanking for the first time ever? Personally I've been playing this game since launch, but I've only ever played DPS (Rogue, Hunter, etc) and never tank. It's taken me this long to grow the stones to do it. (LFM didn't hurt either!)

Can anyone give me some hints and tips for a brand new, sub-level-20 tank looking to know what to do to not get him kicked from a group?
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
11/17/2012 03:24 PMPosted by Camren
Can anyone give me some hints and tips for a brand new, sub-level-20 tank looking to know what to do to not get him kicked from a group?

Pull all the things and AoE them down. The scaling on lower levels is so far off that you'd have a hard time dying if you tried.
Reply Quote
1 Human Warrior
11/17/2012 03:30 PMPosted by Nerfheals

Pull all the things and AoE them down. The scaling on lower levels is so far off that you'd have a hard time dying if you tried.

What AoE is available at levels 10-20? I think I get taunt at level 14, is that what you're talking about?
Reply Quote
39 Worgen Warlock
Anything at all you can get that hits multiple targets.
Reply Quote
80 Night Elf Warrior
What class?
Reply Quote
11 Human Warrior
11/17/2012 05:03 PMPosted by Nerfmagnet
What class?

Sorry, Warrior.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
You get Thunderclap at 20, and then Revenge at 30. That's most of your AoE toolkip there.
Reply Quote
11 Human Warrior
11/17/2012 06:26 PMPosted by Nerfheals
You get Thunderclap at 20, and then Revenge at 30. That's most of your AoE toolkip there.

So until then, just try and pull all the mobs I can, so they don't go after DPS?
Reply Quote
85 Undead Priest
Yes, your best chance at getting aggro is to be the first one to hit the targets. That's what the charge button is for. An experienced tank knows what he wants to pull next well before the mobs he already pulled are dead. Don't worry about the distant casters that are close to another mob, your ranged dps will deal with them. The fact that you're concerned about being a good tank is an excellent start.

When i started tanking i failed over and over until I got it right.
Reply Quote
11 Human Warrior
Yes, your best chance at getting aggro is to be the first one to hit the targets. That's what the charge button is for. An experienced tank knows what he wants to pull next well before the mobs he already pulled are dead. Don't worry about the distant casters that are close to another mob, your ranged dps will deal with them. The fact that you're concerned about being a good tank is an excellent start.

When i started tanking i failed over and over until I got it right.

Well, if I'm going to be tanking - I want to be a decent one!

Thanks for the info. I see the biggest challenge until I get some decent AoE abilities as pulling any stray mobs off the DPS and Heals, and pulling the ones I can pull.

The reason I'm focusing on tanking now, is that I've switched Realms and I want to get my main, who's a hunter, some BoA's to level with. I figure since Tank LFM ques are almost instant, once I start gaining Valor (or whatever it is now) points, I can rack them up to get my alts outfitted with BoA's.
Reply Quote
100 Pandaren Warrior
Since you need 85 at least to get reliable JP, plus gold for legs/cape/helm, it would be faster to just level a hunter than level a tank just for heirlooms
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Until level 25 or so, when I picked up more AoE (I leveled before they revamped the talent system), I frequently had DPS go ahead and actively pull for me. Mobs in the earliest dungeons barely even have groups, they're all spread out. So, I marked targets and had the ranged stand in melee, so I could swat the mobs before they touched anyone else. Made it go a lot faster.

I leveled this toon with heirlooms (partial anyway), but my Druid is on another server, and I tanked on her just fine. I didn't start until a bit later, but that's because druid abilities are a little later.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]