katrinagrey

62 Orc Rogue
SO i had this druid for several years 6 i believe and I love my druid. I transfered horde 4 years ago then back to alliance went to name regret (fitting) and back to Katrinagrey when back on alliance.

I left the game for several months (missed the 7th anniversary QQ) and returned and found all my characters waiting including Katrinagrey. After playing again for maybe a week the game told me I had to change her name why? strangely enough i tried creating a toon called katrinagrey on another server and no go?? Why is my 6 year old character needing to us an alias now?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
My guess?
It got reported and the GM felt the name wasn't in keeping with the naming policies.
Enforcement of which tends to be reactive rather than proactive (with the exception of system blocked names). https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/naming-policy
Katrinagrey could be read as a first and last name which isn't in keeping with the fantasy naming ideas.
Edited by Arizza on 11/19/2012 9:44 AM PST
Reply Quote
86 Blood Elf Death Knight
It also depends on the server type... are you on a RP realm?
Reply Quote
87 Troll Hunter
No one is grandfathered in. Keeping a name for any period of time is never a guarantee that it will not be actioned at a later date.
Reply Quote
86 Blood Elf Death Knight
11/19/2012 11:41 AMPosted by Mokti
No one is grandfathered in. Keeping a name for any period of time is never a guarantee that it will not be actioned at a later date.
...not necessarily. I.E.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/search?q=nala&f=wowcharacter

If you try to create a character with that name now, it's officially on the reserved list.

Which is sad, because I used to have a Nala :(
Reply Quote
87 Troll Hunter
11/19/2012 11:51 AMPosted by Alvraen
...not necessarily. I.E.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/search?q=nala&f=wowcharacter

If you try to create a character with that name now, it's officially on the reserved list.

Which is sad, because I used to have a Nala :(

That doesn't mean that if they are reported that they won't have to change their name. They aren't grandfathered in. They just haven't been changed yet.

Blizzard's enforcement of the naming policies has always been reactive. And even if a name is found to violate that policy, they don't go looking through all the character records trying to find anyone else who shares the name. If those others are reported, then they will be dealt with.
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
11/19/2012 09:35 AMPosted by Rosybottom
After playing again for maybe a week the game told me I had to change her name why?

This wasn't after a character transfer was it, Rosy? I don't see any indication that we initiated a name change. Although, if the name was later placed on a reserved list, and was transferred after that happened, the name wouldn't be available any longer so the character would have been automatically flagged when it arrived at its destination.

I don't believe the entire name is reserved, it seems it may just be part of it. Specifically "Rey".
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Death Knight
My guess?
It got reported and the GM felt the name wasn't in keeping with the naming policies.
Enforcement of which tends to be reactive rather than proactive (with the exception of system blocked names). https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/naming-policy
Katrinagrey could be read as a first and last name which isn't in keeping with the fantasy naming ideas.

i think the rules are only that strict on RP realms though.

usually on pve/pvp realms you can have whatever name even if its not fantasy based, as long as you dont violate the general policy.

the policy of "otherwise considered inappropriate for the game world" does seem to be pretty vague though... because everyone has a different opinion on what would or wouldnt be appropriate.

my deathknights name was wetpants... that got flagged... and that doesnt really even break any of the rules, so again its pretty vague and sometimes the name changes are random i guess.
Edited by Jeromejaxxon on 11/19/2012 1:38 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
i think the rules are only that strict on RP realms though.

usually on pve/pvp realms you can have whatever name even if its not fantasy based, as long as you dont violate the general policy.

the policy of "otherwise considered inappropriate for the game world" does seem to be pretty vague though... because everyone has a different opinion on what would or wouldnt be appropriate.

my deathknights name was wetpants... that got flagged... and that doesnt really even break any of the rules, so again its pretty vague and sometimes the name changes are random i guess.
RP realms have an additional set of policies that I didn't post a link to.
Your character "Wetpants" violated the general rules I did link to, however mildly.

As has been posted already, with a few exceptions Blizzard handles names on a REactive basis: they determine if it's inappropriate after it's been reported. As to everyone having a different opinion as to what is and isn't appropriate the only opinion that matters is that of the GM reviewing the report and applying Blizzard's policies.
Edited by Arizza on 11/19/2012 1:55 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Death Knight
I know i was just pointing out that part of the policy is very vague.. and literally means they could consider any name innappropriate for any reason... I just think it should be worded different i guess .?

I brought it up because with the OP there would be NO reason for that name to be flagged, at all... so if it was...it makes me question it lol.

and yeah, wetpants... i didnt violate any potty humor because I didnt say "peedpants"

they could be wet from anything

it seems as if they take all and any meanings of a word, and put that against you

thats why it doesnt make sense to tell someone you "mildly violated it". You either did... or you didnt.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Hunter
It's intentionally vague. If Blizzard made a hard line on rules, people would toe it. Constantly. This way, the GM that looks into the naming report is able to make judgement calls.
Reply Quote
1 Human Hunter
I know i was just pointing out that part of the policy is very vague.. and literally means they could consider any name innappropriate for any reason... I just think it should be worded different i guess .?

I brought it up because with the OP there would be NO reason for that name to be flagged, at all... so if it was...it makes me question it lol.

and yeah, wetpants... i didnt violate any potty humor because I didnt say "peedpants"

they could be wet from anything

it seems as if they take all and any meanings of a word, and put that against you

thats why it doesnt make sense to tell someone you "mildly violated it". You either did... or you didnt.

Blizzard looks at how a name will be commonly perceived and judges based on that. It's not a computer process. Despite the fact that most people would find Wetpants inoffensive, it's also fairly plain that most people would automatically make the connection with pants that have been urinated in, thus violating the potty humor rule. There are many other names that are inoffensive when looked at for the words that are in them, but when viewed by a human being the combination of words could violate the terms. I won't go into most of the one's I've seen since I'm guessing since they were removed from the game they wouldn't fly here, but I've seen my fair share of people coming to this board to complain about names that are "inoffensive" if viewed from a literal standpoint or using certain meanings of the words but when viewed by a human one meaning really jumps out and it happens to be offensive.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]