Hide shoulders option

(Locked)

90 Tauren Druid
Some people don't want shoulders at all

/reopen topic

How would your chestpiece, tabard, and/or shirt stay on?

That doesn't even make sense? So...if you take your shoulders off you lose your chest armor and shirt and tabard? like...wtf? Besides...a shirt can stay on by itself, and a tabard hangs over the shoulders, so it would be fine too.
90 Dwarf Warrior
11/19/2012 03:19 PMPosted by Daxxarri
Blizzard has stated in no uncertain terms that hiding shoulders isn't something they'd consider.

That's not entirely accurate. It's true that offering an option to hide shoulders is something we've been reluctant to do, because so much effort goes into the creation of shoulder art, and those items are some of the most visually distinctive and iconic items in World of Warcraft. It's not necessarily totally off of the table though. As we've said often in the past, we still plan to grow and evolve the Transmogrification feature over time.

Well, to be fair Blizz open the door to this when they allowed us to hide our helmets...that makes less sense than hiding shoulders

One could make that argument, but opting to show a character's face is a choice we've offered for quite a long time. It's sort of its own thing; especially considering that there is quite a lot of art and animation specifically for character heads and faces, and customization of those features is a significant part of making your character your own. Allowing faces to be displayed makes sense in that context. While armor doesn't necessarily look terrible without shoulders, I don't think that making exposed shoulders interesting has been high on the priorities when designing chest armor textures/models over time.
how about having the artist team making a complete set that looks good for a change? i know that is a tuff thing to do..i mean they do so well with everything else right?. every tier piece i see come out i go..hmm that would look cool if it weren't for x piece. the issue is the higher up's who agree that these gear set's are "ok". from my understanding on how the company runs internally is that someone with more athourity has to agree with the finished product from the artist.
100 Gnome Warlock
. It's true that offering an option to hide shoulders is something we've been reluctant to do, because so much effort goes into the creation of shoulder art, and those items are some of the most visually distinctive and iconic items in World of Warcraft.

They're also obnoxiously large or don't "sit well" visually on certain races due to clipping and other graphical glitches caused by scaling. Some shoulders look really nice with very specific sets, but for a large part of what's out there for set options the shoulders either don't mesh well or they take away from the set.

Cloth armour suffers from this more than most because there aren't many cloth options for shoulders that are subtle in scope (I think the ones I'm using currently are only one of 4 pairs that actually rest close to the body).

As we've said often in the past, we still plan to grow and evolve the Transmogrification feature over time.

It's been a year. Please evolve it faster. >:/

While armor doesn't necessarily look terrible without shoulders, I don't think that making exposed shoulders interesting has been high on the priorities when designing chest armor textures/models over time.

It isn't about making shoulder textures on armour looking awesome, it's about how poorly shoulder armour goes with most sets due to them being actual 3-D models sitting on top of the character's model, rather than being "attached" like the rest of the armour happens to be. Even when you do find a shoulder piece that goes well with a particular look, it winds up being "too much" due to the size and giant pillow of air that makes it look like its floating there instead of being part of the armour.
90 Dwarf Priest
Edited by Fibromyalgía on 11/30/2012 7:49 PM PST
Without shoulders you'd look like a little noob. Shoulders really put a set together. Instead of removing them maybe in the future add a resize option to shoulders for transmog, so you can make them smaller. I know some peoples issue with shoulders are they are just too big. I personally feel the bigger the better. If you're a big Tauren why would you want wrinky dinky cups on your shoulders?

Oh and fix clipping issues, I think it's Orcs that have bad shoulder clipping issues.
Community Manager
11/19/2012 03:30 PMPosted by Mobu
how about having the artist team making a complete set that looks good for a change?

Art is an extremely subjective thing. With very rare exceptions, if you take any random piece of armor or art, and ask people for opinions, they'll almost certainly be divided.

For example, I uh, never really liked any of the AQ40 stuff (scandalous!). I know people that love it so much they have it 'mogged to this day. *shrug*
Edited by Daxxarri on 11/19/2012 3:34 PM PST
100 Gnome Warlock
For example, I uh, never really liked any of the AQ40 stuff (scandalous!).

How can you not like the princess leia dresses?
90 Human Mage
I want to be able to transmog some whites as well as transmog main hand swords into one handed swords as well as transmog staffs to polearms. I see no reason not to as it is all cosmetic anyway.
90 Worgen Druid
I like the art of some of the shirts, such as the lumberjack ones, but there are very few shoulders that look good with them, and even then you have to wear some kind of "harness" as your transmog to see them at all while playing the game (ie, not sitting around and rp'ing in Stormwind).
90 Pandaren Warrior
On the topic of Transmog, will Legendaries ever be able to be transmoged? I know transmog is still being evolved, but i worked my butt off for my legendaries and want to show them off! >.<
100 Gnome Mage
At this point, I think a hide belt option would be just as cool as hide shoulders for transmog purposes. There's usually cool robe art below that being covered up.
Edited by Digerati on 11/19/2012 3:41 PM PST
90 Pandaren Monk
Daxx, of all the monks who were in game long before cataclysm, none of them really had shoulders shown. Chen, a very iconic monk, does not have shoulders shown. You've given us access to an awesome straw hat. Where's my hide shoulders? :(
Please?
100 Human Paladin
While armor doesn't necessarily look terrible without shoulders, I don't think that making exposed shoulders interesting has been high on the priorities when designing chest armor textures/models over time.

I don't really think that would be an issue, I'm guessing that most people who want the option to hide shoulder armor are talking about cloth or leather armor which generally looks better without them to begin with. It just looks ridiculous to have a robe with gigantic shoulderpads the size of the character's head, especially all the raid sets where they're covered in fire-breathing skulls and such.
92 Undead Warlock
The shoulder thing would be a viable option. I've paid a lot for the ones I'm wearing (wish the animation showed on the armory), and farmed a lot of shoulders. With that said, I do have outfits on other characters that I just can't find shoulders that are perfect with the mog. (or are of the wrong class)

Also maybe the ability for all armor type A to be mogged into all armor type A etc. A lock looking like a priest, hunter like a shaman, paladin like a dk.. it can be done, but it's not as effective as the tier gear.
Edited by Ghoulîna on 11/19/2012 3:48 PM PST
90 Pandaren Monk
11/19/2012 03:45 PMPosted by Grimbold

I don't really think that would be an issue, I'm guessing that most people who want the option to hide shoulder armor are talking about cloth or leather armor which generally looks better without them to begin with. It just looks ridiculous to have a robe with gigantic shoulderpads the size of the character's head, especially all the raid sets where they're covered in fire-breathing skulls and such.

Also the few understated options rarely match anything.
how about having the artist team making a complete set that looks good for a change?

Art is an extremely subjective thing. With very rare exceptions, if you take any random piece of armor or art, and ask people for opinions, they'll almost certainly be divided.

For example, I uh, never really liked any of the AQ40 stuff (scandalous!). I know people that love it so much they have it 'mogged to this day. *shrug*

I think it's unfair to say nothing looks good. Just look at me, I'm sexy and I know it.
My shoulders happen to be my second favorite piece. My moon is my fav. >(

Also the few understated options rarely match anything.

I'm not really sure what you're saying. Are you saying shoulders rarely match? If that's the case I'll just disagree.
Edited by Vail on 11/19/2012 3:49 PM PST
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
The only thing that annoys me about having shoulder armor shown is how it looks with my hair. I love my hair! My hair must be perfect at all times! And shoulder armor does funny things to it.. grumble grumble....
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]