Hide shoulders option

(Locked)

100 Dwarf Death Knight
I'd like a hide left shoulder button and a hide right shoulder button. There's some awesome asymmetrical transmog opportunities out there.
11/19/2012 03:19 PMPosted by Daxxarri
Blizzard has stated in no uncertain terms that hiding shoulders isn't something they'd consider.

That's not entirely accurate. It's true that offering an option to hide shoulders is something we've been reluctant to do, because so much effort goes into the creation of shoulder art, and those items are some of the most visually distinctive and iconic items in World of Warcraft. It's not necessarily totally off of the table though. As we've said often in the past, we still plan to grow and evolve the Transmogrification feature over time.

Well, to be fair Blizz open the door to this when they allowed us to hide our helmets...that makes less sense than hiding shoulders

One could make that argument, but opting to show a character's face is a choice we've offered for quite a long time. It's sort of its own thing; especially considering that there is quite a lot of art and animation specifically for character heads and faces, and customization of those features is a significant part of making your character your own. Allowing faces to be displayed makes sense in that context. While armor doesn't necessarily look terrible without shoulders, I don't think that making exposed shoulders interesting has been high on the priorities when designing chest armor textures/models over time.

So basically what you're saying is that you don't see a value in giving players the option to show/hide shoulders based on their preference, you only care about making sure developer time is spent in a meaningful way (forcing players to appreciate something like shoulder artwork).

Duly noted.
100 Blood Elf Paladin
If we can't hide our shoulders they should at least design some armors that actually looks like armors, I never understand why the NPCs such as King Varyan, Nozdormu, Sylvanas, has such interesting armors when we must use the ones that looks like carnival costumes with wings, lights and colored smokes, obviouslly the team who designs the NPCs armors isn't the same who design the players armos....

Next tier priests gonna have a puppy dog jumping from one shoulder to another and the Warrior gonna have an Auction House NPC on the Shoulder ¬¬
100 Troll Shaman
I would literally kill to have the option to hide shoulders. =P I'd so very much appreciate the option.
100 Night Elf Death Knight
I would just like the option on my cloth-wearing characters. Give em a transmoggable shoulder item that is "invisible". Plate, mail and leather toons, I'm perfectly fine with having shoulder armor showing.
92 Human Warrior
11/19/2012 03:33 PMPosted by Daxxarri
how about having the artist team making a complete set that looks good for a change?

Art is an extremely subjective thing. With very rare exceptions, if you take any random piece of armor or art, and ask people for opinions, they'll almost certainly be divided.

For example, I uh, never really liked any of the AQ40 stuff (scandalous!). I know people that love it so much they have it 'mogged to this day. *shrug*

I'm pretty sure so far everyone likes the sets used in the new character screen..like really the classic yet upgraded armor is really super awesome..why not make one of those.
90 Night Elf Hunter
11/19/2012 04:11 PMPosted by Xiaoli
I actually really love the way Rift handled gear, with the ability to buy multiple armor (umm forgot what its called) sets, and then you could put the armor in each tab, and just click the tab to have that appearance. Likewise, you could choose which piece did and did not display.. not just cloak or helm but every piece was optional (except weapons). I *really* loved that design.

So Rift allows players to show their character fighting monsters in nothing but their undies 100% of the time if the player so wishes?
Blizzard has stated in no uncertain terms that hiding shoulders isn't something they'd consider.

That's not entirely accurate. It's true that offering an option to hide shoulders is something we've been reluctant to do, because so much effort goes into the creation of shoulder art, and those items are some of the most visually distinctive and iconic items in World of Warcraft. It's not necessarily totally off of the table though. As we've said often in the past, we still plan to grow and evolve the Transmogrification feature over time.

Well, to be fair Blizz open the door to this when they allowed us to hide our helmets...that makes less sense than hiding shoulders

One could make that argument, but opting to show a character's face is a choice we've offered for quite a long time. It's sort of its own thing; especially considering that there is quite a lot of art and animation specifically for character heads and faces, and customization of those features is a significant part of making your character your own. Allowing faces to be displayed makes sense in that context. While armor doesn't necessarily look terrible without shoulders, I don't think that making exposed shoulders interesting has been high on the priorities when designing chest armor textures/models over time.

The argument of 'a lot of work goes into shoulders' doesn't hold up for me. Sure, there are a lot of detailed shoulders out there. But there's also a lot of people that don't like them, think they look clunky or excessive. The only drawback to giving the option to hide them, other than perhaps hurting the art designer's feelings and in that case they need thicker skin, is that it would take time to develop. And I don't see how it would take THAT much time since you already have systems to hide cloaks and helm models, just copy that and alter it to do shoulders instead.

This would allow people a bit more choice distinguishing how their characters look, without doing anything dumb like having people run around topless or with no pants.
90 Pandaren Rogue
As we've said often in the past, we still plan to grow and evolve the Transmogrification feature over time.

Shirtless option for male character please!
90 Night Elf Hunter
11/19/2012 04:27 PMPosted by Florena
The argument of 'a lot of work goes into shoulders' doesn't hold up for me. Sure, there are a lot of detailed shoulders out there. But there's also a lot of people that don't like them, think they look clunky or excessive. The only drawback to giving the option to hide them, other than perhaps hurting the art designer's feelings and in that case they need thicker skin, is that it would take time to develop. And I don't see how it would take THAT much time since you already have systems to hide cloaks and helm models, just copy that and alter it to do shoulders instead.

Actually, it's entirely just the decision to do it. They already have Sandrene's Invisible Vest in the game. They just make shoulders that do the same thing as Sandrene's Invisible Vest.

Also, I totally support the vest becoming transmog-able. Only rogues, monks, and druids could use it and druids are frequently shown without a shirt in NPCs and art and it would fit pretty well for the monk class. Rogues could make it work, especially for a demon hunter influenced transmog set.

Might I also note how freakin' cool a worgen can look without a shirt? Makes them look a bit more bestial/feral.

I've been trying to get a full discussion going on Transmog restrictions for a while, not just shoulder toggles.
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/6307731747?page=1#0

Generally, people haven't seemed interested in discussing the idea, but I'm gonna bump it anyway. >_>
Edited by Faroth on 11/19/2012 4:34 PM PST
While armor doesn't necessarily look terrible without shoulders, I don't think that making exposed shoulders interesting has been high on the priorities when designing chest armor textures/models over time.
The primary issue is that shoulders look frankly stupid with most Cloth outfits.

You've got this beautiful robe or dress, and then you're forced to glue idiotic-looking linebacker shoulderpads on top of it. It's like someone got confused and put the football team in prom dresses.

That's my gripe, anyway. I never mind shoulders on any character except my Cloth / spellcaster types, where they just simply ruin elegant dresses and other subtle outfits you'd expect from a priestly / wizardly type.

I should point out that in general your design team has the sense to create NPCs / quest givers / etc. who are wearing robes and cloth ... without shoulders. Because it's aesthetically sensible. Players would just like the ability to make the same choice.
Edited by Callie on 11/19/2012 4:36 PM PST
90 Orc Monk

I kinda understand the feeling of "we put a lot of work into designing X shoulder" but at the same time, we put a lot of work into designing a transmog set, only for it to be ruined because the one shoulder item that sorta kinda maybe works is unobtainable for some reason or another.

That and a lot of the shoulders are way, way, way over the top. Plus you've got a new class in the game that doesn't have 85 levels of greens, blues, and various set items designed around that class. Us poor monks are left scraping together an outfit out of rogue and druid gear. Having an option to hide our shoulder armor makes sense also from a monk perspective, as they are generally wearing robes/light armor to begin with.

While we're at it, how about some enchant glow options? Not just on or off, but how about we select the enchant visual for our sets?
I think most the time shoulder art is very nice and detailed but most the issues I have is during animations the collisions really spoil the immersion for me. I really down want to stab myself in the face when yawning or casting magic. Most the time if things were scaled to a reasonable size then it would be less of an issue. As is now most the great looks stupid huge; this is fantasy yes but it gets sorta lack luster when it feels liek your character doesnt belong in the armor they are wearing.
90 Blood Elf Mage
But, I really like my giant phoenix shoulders. Yes, I'm being completely serious. I spent a lot of time in Sunwell to get these darn things.
100 Night Elf Druid
Well, it is almost becoming a moot point on the healms. The shoulders are getting so big that THEY hide faces.

Some like the look of the shoulders, some don't. Some i do like but mostly they are too much the same thing as others so I would rather not see them. Especially on some classes. Some just do not look right on those classes.
90 Tauren Monk

We have customizable armor now. I rarely ever see all of these extravagant shoulder armor on display anymore anyway. The only thing not having this option does is make creating unique and interesting transmog sets difficult or impossible.

Shoulders tend to be the piece that breaks the game for me with a vast majority of my transmog sets. Since I don't go and use full pre-made sets and, instead, mix-and-match from all sections of the game, it's borderline impossible to create a set without having to adjust to fit the shoulders, rather than finding shoulders that match the rest.

Not to mention that the models look atrocious period on several characters. I would love to never have to wear shoulder pads ever again on orcs and tauren. They're grossly oversized, and I feel like that's only because of the old joke back in, I think it was BC, when orc shoulderpads were scaled down too much.

It's not like every person in the game is going to hide the art and put all of the artist's time to waste. There are several characters that I wouldn't even dream of hiding their shoulders, and then there's those that I have to completely scrap transmog sets because there are none that match or look decent on the character.

Your artists do a great job at making the gear, but quite honestly I don't feel like wearing full pre-made sets of current tier, ever. I want to create my own sets using items from all tiers from end-game heroics to low level greens... in the same set. The transmog restrictions and the lack of hide/show options makes customization brutally difficult.
100 Night Elf Priest
Most cloth wearers would love this
100 Worgen Death Knight
This is one of the things that really irks me, some of the transmogs in the game (especially caster ones I've seen) are just atrociously thrown off by the fact we still have to display shoulders, it just doesn't fit a simple robes or outfit look and would in-fact hinder casting movements (Were magic real heh) due to it's bulk and size, not to mention that some races like Worgen have atrocious attach points for shoulder models to the point of horrendous clipping into the model itself (my female Worgen mage has the Laughing Skull Shoulderpads for her ultra skimpy transmog look, and those shoulders are the tiniest in the game, however the attach point for shoulder armor for female Worgen is so bad that it looks like my shoulder blade inside the body has mutated and grown out of the flesh by a significant portion).

I get that the art team at Blizzard works hard to design nice shoulders, especially since they are often one of, if not, the most prominent part of the armor graphics. However at this point it feels kinda lame that we can't have a hide shoulder option or an obtainable invisible shoulder part for each armor type. Some transmogs are just ruined by forced shoulder wearing.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]