Hide shoulders option

(Locked)

90 Blood Elf Warlock
Transmog

/end topic

Show me a shoulder option for all armor types that appears small enough to be either unnoticeable or invisible...no seriously I'm actually looking for one...if it exists let me know

Actually... Laughing Skull Shoulderpads

Not invisible, but hotdamn is that tiny.

11/19/2012 03:19 PMPosted by Daxxarri
Blizzard has stated in no uncertain terms that hiding shoulders isn't something they'd consider.

That's not entirely accurate. It's true that offering an option to hide shoulders is something we've been reluctant to do, because so much effort goes into the creation of shoulder art, and those items are some of the most visually distinctive and iconic items in World of Warcraft. It's not necessarily totally off of the table though. As we've said often in the past, we still plan to grow and evolve the Transmogrification feature over time.

Let us hide shoulders... Pwease? {◕ ◡ ◕}
Edited by Melithiria on 11/19/2012 4:56 PM PST
70 Blood Elf Death Knight
It's true that offering an option to hide shoulders is something we've been reluctant to do, because so much effort goes into the creation of shoulder art, and those items are some of the most visually distinctive and iconic items in World of Warcraft.

OK, but what harm would it do if you gave players a choice? Just because your artists worked hard on a shoulder piece does not mean you have to force people to use it regardless if they want to or not.
85 Night Elf Druid
It's true that offering an option to hide shoulders is something we've been reluctant to do, because so much effort goes into the creation of shoulder art, and those items are some of the most visually distinctive and iconic items in World of Warcraft.

I would just like to say thank you for all the hard work that the developers did when making the completely epic Merciless Gladiator's Dragonhide Spaulders that I use in my Transmog.

EDIT:
They have little flowers growing on them ^.^
Edited by Cosmicshift on 11/19/2012 5:03 PM PST
90 Night Elf Hunter
I don't think that making exposed shoulders interesting has been high on the priorities when designing chest armor textures/models over time.

Uhh.. I hate to beg to differ, but my armor goes directly against that. This is a level 90 shoulder, and it only shows one, while the other shoulder is bear. Though I personally like a lot of the shoulders in game, I do see why some would want to hide them. RP purposes being the main reason.

I am ok with what ever they do, but I just wanted to point this out to you Dax.
Edited by Kaÿa on 11/19/2012 5:05 PM PST
90 Human Paladin
My paladin looks awesome with shoulder armor.

My Blood Elf Huntress looks awesome with shoulder armor. I hide her head piece thought, because I don't like to hide her face. And I sometimes hide her cloak, because not all cloaks look good on her.

My female gnome mage is a big megalomaniac mind and likes to look big, so shoulder armor are awesome in her.

However, my Night Elf Priestess would really look better without them. I hide her cloak and head armor already, would love to hide her should armor. She would look like a Holy priestess should look to me: someone unarmored, wearing cloth vestments and going vulnerable to the field of battle protected only by her faith.

And my Worgen rogue... I'd like to hide his shoulder armor as well as I already do to his cloak, making he look more feral and less burdened by armor.

So yes, shoulders should have an option to be hidden. Just like helmets and cloaks: a lot of people love those options! Add another for shoulders!

PS: Someone mentioned that we should be able to also choose to hide/show both or either left or right shoulders. That idea would be awesome as well. Some armor do look better with only one shoulder protected.
Edited by Viajante on 11/19/2012 5:39 PM PST
10 Night Elf Hunter
11/19/2012 02:01 PMPosted by Catriya
We should have the option to be nothing but a floating head.
this would be epic
10 Night Elf Hunter
That's not entirely accurate. It's true that offering an option to hide shoulders is something we've been reluctant to do, because so much effort goes into the creation of shoulder art, and those items are some of the most visually distinctive and iconic items in World of Warcraft.
And those who share this opinion have the option to display said iconic and visually distinctive items. The rest of us would prefer to not have 3ft spikes jamming through our skulls while we fight or cast spells.
90 Orc Warrior
I would love more asymmetric shoulders or the option to hide, left or right shoulder
90 Night Elf Death Knight
Wish I could show my cloak, but it clips through my back and sword, which just bugs me in all the wrong ways. :S

I think you should be able to hide shoulders for cloth/leather armor... Since most robes have sleeves and they look pretty silly with shoulders that look like plate.
Edited by Ariannas on 11/19/2012 5:41 PM PST
90 Night Elf Death Knight
I don't mind having the shoulders showing, it's just dumb when I'm casting a spell or whatever and my face is going through my shoulders. It's a shame, because I like the F.Nelf casting animation, but face through shoulder. Yeah.
90 Night Elf Rogue
Blizzard has stated in no uncertain terms that hiding shoulders isn't something they'd consider.

That's not entirely accurate. It's true that offering an option to hide shoulders is something we've been reluctant to do, because so much effort goes into the creation of shoulder art, and those items are some of the most visually distinctive and iconic items in World of Warcraft. It's not necessarily totally off of the table though. As we've said often in the past, we still plan to grow and evolve the Transmogrification feature over time.

Well, to be fair Blizz open the door to this when they allowed us to hide our helmets...that makes less sense than hiding shoulders

One could make that argument, but opting to show a character's face is a choice we've offered for quite a long time. It's sort of its own thing; especially considering that there is quite a lot of art and animation specifically for character heads and faces, and customization of those features is a significant part of making your character your own. Allowing faces to be displayed makes sense in that context. While armor doesn't necessarily look terrible without shoulders, I don't think that making exposed shoulders interesting has been high on the priorities when designing chest armor textures/models over time.

Isn't that the problem? You're deciding for the players what is and is not interesting. To be quite frank, the very fact that the shoulder art is so complex and iconic is the very reason we don't want it. I still have my beloved blackened defias armor set that I've had for over 7 years now, but I defy you to find a single pair of shoulders in the game that look appropriate for that set.

I'm certainly intelligent enough to decide for myself if I look better or worse without shoulders set to 'show', and if the character models aren't up to snuff then perhaps you should finally update them for the elder races rather than pigeonhole our characters for fear we may see a ragged edge somewhere.
90 Pandaren Monk
11/19/2012 05:01 PMPosted by Farfallen
OK, but what harm would it do if you gave players a choice? Just because your artists worked hard on a shoulder piece does not mean you have to force people to use it regardless if they want to or not.

And those who share this opinion have the option to display said iconic and visually distinctive items. The rest of us would prefer to not have 3ft spikes jamming through our skulls while we fight or cast spells.

Isn't that the problem? You're deciding for the players what is and is not interesting. To be quite frank, the very fact that the shoulder art is so complex and iconic is the very reason we don't want it. I still have my beloved blackened defias armor set that I've had for over 7 years now, but I defy you to find a single pair of shoulders in the game that look appropriate for that set.

I'm certainly intelligent enough to decide for myself if I look better or worse without shoulders set to 'show', and if the character models aren't up to snuff then perhaps you should finally update them for the elder races rather than pigeonhole our characters for fear we may see a ragged edge somewhere.

Completely agree.
Also, Daxx, the shoulders are great and all, and you all seem to know it, so why the reluctance? Not everyone hides helm/cloak, not everyone will hide these iconic shoulders.
Moreover, I feel it would make people appreciate the shoulders more, if they're not flooding everything in a massive sea of spikes and flames.
90 Human Hunter
please let me hide it all i wanna run around in sexy panties killing dirty orcs : )
11/19/2012 03:33 PMPosted by Daxxarri
how about having the artist team making a complete set that looks good for a change?

Art is an extremely subjective thing. With very rare exceptions, if you take any random piece of armor or art, and ask people for opinions, they'll almost certainly be divided.

For example, I uh, never really liked any of the AQ40 stuff (scandalous!). I know people that love it so much they have it 'mogged to this day. *shrug*

LOL the hunter AQ40 set is basically the only decent hunter set out there....srsly, who thought making a hunter look like a murloc was a good idea....

I kind of agree that the shoulders are in some ways the main visually appealing piece of a set, and hiding it in some cases looks plain stupid..I was taking my shoulders off the other day and felt a little strange without them.

If anyone hasn't seen it before, check out the interface/options available in DC Universe Online! For every slot there is a drop down menu of different items you have previously equipped, and you can choose which graphic you want for that slot. You can also change the colors on the item! Was one of the few good things about that game :p
90 Pandaren Priest
I have mixed feelings about this tbh
86 Night Elf Rogue
I'd like a hide chest and bra option.

...What?

I'm a rogue.
84 Blood Elf Rogue
Hey Daxx, why not just put a shoulder armor in the game for each armor type as a quest reward somewhere that's invisible and useable for transmog? That way folks that don't want to see their shoulder armor can just mog that (and while you're at it, make the invisible chest moggable. My druid needs to be shirtless like the dozens of NPCs and Malfurion himself are).

I mean I get that the art team puts a lot of thought into designing shoulder armor but if there are people who just flat out dont wanna look at it then why should they have to? For most armor classes a lot of the shoulder armor is either really old, low-res low-poly blues/greens, epics that most people consider ugly, or it clips on damn near everything (t7 druid shoulders on any female toon? Hello, shoulder banner things in my boobs). Once you take out all those options, the ones your left with are hard to match up with other armor and make an outfit out of that doesn't make you look like a hobo.
Excuse-me?!

We can - already - pick the tiniest models avaliable, basically denying this argument. The problem is that: we won't necessarily look good doing so, salve a few combos.

For me it's basically this "Want to hide our amazing shoulder art with smallest models possible? Fine! You'll have a hard time matching your armor, then."

That's not entirely accurate. It's true that offering an option to hide shoulders is something we've been reluctant to do, because so much effort goes into the creation of shoulder art, and those items are some of the most visually distinctive and iconic items in World of Warcraft.
90 Undead Warlock
I actually really love the way Rift handled gear, with the ability to buy multiple armor (umm forgot what its called) sets, and then you could put the armor in each tab, and just click the tab to have that appearance. Likewise, you could choose which piece did and did not display.. not just cloak or helm but every piece was optional (except weapons). I *really* loved that design.

So Rift allows players to show their character fighting monsters in nothing but their undies 100% of the time if the player so wishes?

'hang on I'll check

/login
/playwithwardrobe
/logout

Yes you can

turns out my Eth Rogue wears Tighty-Whities
Edited by Drakmor on 11/19/2012 6:55 PM PST
90 Draenei Shaman
11/19/2012 03:33 PMPosted by Daxxarri
how about having the artist team making a complete set that looks good for a change?

Art is an extremely subjective thing. With very rare exceptions, if you take any random piece of armor or art, and ask people for opinions, they'll almost certainly be divided.

For example, I uh, never really liked any of the AQ40 stuff (scandalous!). I know people that love it so much they have it 'mogged to this day. *shrug*

Art is subjective, but adding customization to make it less terrible for the player isn't a bad thing. I loved the T11 shaman set including the shoulders. I absolutely hated the shoulder animation. Fortunately the animation isn't copied when doing a transmorg. During ICC I would have loved to turn that elephant-looking thing off.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]