The Melee Hunter that could have been...

90 Night Elf Hunter
Back in the days of "vanilla", I used to love running around with my two hand sword smashing everything in sight with my trusty Owl EvilBetty right along side me... But sadly, just like EvilBetty, Melee Hunters are gone!

Here's what I would have liked for the Survival Spec...

Raptor Strike (25 Focus) - Strike your target for X Damage.

Misdirection (Survival) - Your next 3 melee strikes generate additional threat for your friendly focus. If no focus is selected, threat will be generated for your active pet.

Venomous Strike (15 Focus) - Inflicts 80% Weapon Damage and causes an additional X damage every 2 seconds for the next 15 seconds.

Venomous Touch (Passive) - Your damage over time effect of Venomous Strike has a chance to restore 10 Focus each time it does damage.

Frenzy (Passive) - Each time your pet deals a critical strike, your attack speed is increased by 5% for 10 seconds, Stacking up to 5 times.

The Beast Within - Consumes 5 Stacks of Frenzy to grant you The Beast Within (Buff) for the next 2 minutes.

The Beast Within (Buff) - Grants the hunter benefits based on your current pets spec.
*Tenacity - Your Attacks generate additional threat for your pet and your auto attack damage heals your pet for 50% of the damage dealt.
*Cunning - Your Attacks which consume focus have a chance to return 50% of the focus used. Successful Critical Strikes have a 100% chance to return 50% of the Focus used.
*Ferocity - Your Venomous Strike also heals you for 100% of the damage dealt. In addition, your Raptor Strike hits all targets within melee range.

Concussion Strike (40 Focus) - Strike your enemy target for X damage and reduce their movement speed by 70% for 6 seconds. (10 second cooldown)

Trap Master (Passive) - Allows you to instantly drop traps at the feet of your target and improves your traps.
*Ice Trap - Allows you to Trap 2 targets.
*Freezing Trap - Causing your Freezing trap to slip enemy targets who step on it stunning them for 4 seconds and interrupting spell casts.
*Immolation Trap - Causes your Immolation Trap to also scatter up to 5 burning embers within 10 yards of the trap when it explodes. Embers burn enemy targets who touch them for X damage over 12 seconds.
*Snake Trap - Each time your snakes deal damage, they have a chance to generate 2 Focus.

Aspect of the Beast - Increase your Melee Damage by 25% on targets effected by your Hunter's Mark. In Addition, each time you successfully hit your target with Raptor Strike, your chance to dodge is increased by 5%, stacking up to 10 times. This effect is consumed when you successfully dodge an attack.

Glyphs...

Glyph of Beast Aspect (Survival) - Causes your Aspect of the Beast to also effect your current pet.

Glyph of Venom (Survival) - Increases the damage of Venomous Strikes damage over time effect by 100%, but removes the instant damage effect from the ability.

Glyph of Wing Clip - Causes your wing clip to generate 50 Focus, but increases it's cool down to 120 seconds

Glyph of Burning - Grants you the ignite weapon ability.
*Ignite Weapon - Smoother your weapon in oil and ignite it. Burning Weapons inflict an additional X damage each time they strike your target. (30 Min Duration)

These were just a few ideas I had for the melee spec...

I know it'll most likely never happen, but I was bored and figured I'd share.

Thanks for reading!
Edited by Marrown on 11/19/2012 6:06 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Hunter
I always thought beast mastery should be a melee hunter spec with marks being a petless-ranger spec. i like the idea, sadly it won't happen since they removed melee weapons from us :(
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
11/19/2012 07:48 PMPosted by Reimmi
I always thought beast mastery should be a melee hunter spec with marks being a petless-ranger spec. i like the idea, sadly it won't happen since they removed melee weapons from us :(

Well they didnt REMOVE them per se :P you just cant carry a melee and a range at the same time. As for the bm being a more melee spec, they kind of did that with another class. Unholy DKs.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Hunter
oh vanilla. i hear its so fun but alas, i wasnt around for it :(
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
11/20/2012 02:05 AMPosted by Ikiteforfood
oh vanilla. i hear its so fun but alas, i wasnt around for it :(

What people dont ever mention is, everything this game is now is because of the earlier expansions . It wasnt all sunshine and rainbows either. For example, pvp came down to whos 40 man group had the best end game content gear.

Resilience wasnt in the game yet so people wearing t3 Naxxrammas RAID gear would take people wearing pvp stuff and bend them over and have their way with them. So the raiders not only got to enjoy end game content, they got to beat up people that only pvp'd and / or didnt have a weekly raiding guild most of the time.
Edited by Raygar on 11/20/2012 3:05 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Hunter
I think it might be an interesting idea to diversify Hunters a little bit. Perhaps make Beast Mastery a tanking spec with abilities oriented toward buffing your pet and mitigating its damage. Make Survival a melee class with Aspects favoring either Polearm or two-weapon fighting depending on your preference / the situation. And Marksman? They're fine as is. Bow-centric.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Hunter
11/20/2012 03:06 AMPosted by Leongaard
I think it might be an interesting idea to diversify Hunters a little bit. Perhaps make Beast Mastery a tanking spec with abilities oriented toward buffing your pet and mitigating its damage. Make Survival a melee class with Aspects favoring either Polearm or two-weapon fighting depending on your preference / the situation. And Marksman? They're fine as is. Bow-centric.

Spec 1) Ranged Spec
Spec 2) Melee Spec
Spec 3) Pet Spec (can choose to support Pet mechanics either in melee, or in Ranged - see below)
Spec 4) Tank (Melee) Spec

Ranged/Melee is handled based on your currently equipped weapon. If it is ranged, you abilities adjust to use the ranged mechanics. If it is melee, it adjusts to use the melee mechanics. While the abilities themselves adjust automatically, for spec #3, there is a gradually decreasing penalty on your attacks to discourage swapping weapons mid-fight. Some abilities may perform dramatically different between ranged and melee.

Spec #1 can only wield Ranged weapons. Spec #2 and #4 can only wield melee. Spec #3 can wield all, see above.

Just a random thought.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
Personally I don't think we need a tank spec as hunters... insta ques would be nice, but I don't think it's needed.

Had a thought this morning though about possibly just making a glyph which would allow the hunter to use melee versions of all range abilities...

like changing arcane shot into Arcane Strike... things like that...
Reply Quote
90 Orc Hunter
no
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
The only thing I liked about Hunter melee (in Vanilla) was being able to run in for the occasional Raptor Strike to the face. With a 2h weapon back in the day, those things could hit hard.

It was nice giving that Mage a good *FWAP* for getting all up in your business, before returning to range.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
i vote on letting SV have the venemous cobra shot that refreshes serpent stings, and come up with something unique for BM like a melee fighting style that synergizes better by fighting along side their pet
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Warrior
This thread is a joke right?
Hunters doing melee damage. More like huntards doing melee.

Hunters were never meant to be doing melee damage. Why do you think you use to have a talent that increased the crit chance of raptor strike by 40%?

It was so you could do something when you were cut off from range attacks. Not so you could melee.
Reply Quote
74 Blood Elf Hunter
Yeah what happened i remember back in the day when things were young i used a melee weapon and im pretty sure i had melee attacks (way back in BC).
Reply Quote
90 Human Hunter
I agree that BM shouldve been a melee, spec, focusing on dual wieldin swords/axes or using a polearm. Fighting in melee with buffs to dmg, attack speed, and crit chance alongside your pet in the fray of battle? Sounds awesome to me
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Monk
Could try playing guild wars 2, the rangers in that game have a pet buffing tree and can use swords, offhand daggers, and two handed swords if you wanna mix it up in close range with your juggernaut pet, completely viable too.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Hunter
Melee hunters... Meh, might be interesting but I don't think I'd be all out for it.

Petless/Ranger spec... Now THAT I could get behind! A ranger/archer who didn't have to depend on a pet would be right up my alley.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Hunter
Yeah, but then we would have too much utility is what the detractors would say. I still remember using raptor strike and wing clip to level up all my weapon skills, not to mention finding a mid level mob to plink bullets and arrows at for skill ups.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]