Best tank to solo old content

I know there are a zillion "best tank threads" but I am curious specifically about soloing old content. Based on other threads it seems like pallies or blood DKs might be the best. Of these two which comes out ahead? Does either one put out more DPS than the other?
Reply Quote
94 Pandaren Warrior
Blood DK or fury warrior.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
DKs come out ahead generally. That being said, depending what you're trying to solo, you may find something else will have an easier time due to specific interactions with fight mechanics. Kael'thas, for example, will be able to MC a blood DK because of bloodworms.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
11/17/2012 06:09 PMPosted by Cochlea
Does either one put out more DPS than the other?

If the past is any indication, that'd be blood DKs. In cata they did more DPS solo than several DPS specs were capable of :p.

If you're talking about pre-cata "old content",
11/17/2012 06:16 PMPosted by Nerfheals
specific interactions with fight mechanics
Will probably play a larger role than anything else, though.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
-Twin emperors in AQ40 (can't be soloed due to massive healing from one of the emps)
-Razorgore (he'll be soloable next patch, though)

I know warriors did Twin Emps at 85. "Massive healing" amounts to about 20k HPS, it's really not bad.

Warriors also did Razorgore at 85, though I'm not 100% sure on how well second wind works for that. I can't imagine it would be too much worse than blood craze was, other than getting low enough to trigger it in the first place (which you can do most of on your own, just by stripping and re-equipping before the pull).

Since 5.0, Razor's been bugged and you don't get any pushback when channeling the orb. As long as you can do some sort of threat (say, healing threat) while channeling, you don't even need to do anything else, except maybe aoe the adds every once in a while to not die.

Vashj could be an interesting fight though. BR should definitely be up for every strider, so it's just a matter of killing those in that 6 second window, and keeping her stacks somewhat low so you don't die before she does in p3.
Edited by Ahanss on 11/18/2012 12:01 AM PST
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
You may find Fury better for soloing some things. Twin Emps, for instance, you can burn through their healing as Fury, and being able to apply a -healing debuff doesn't hurt. Same deal with KT - being able to burn through what's-her-face that does the burning disorient before that goes out will make things much easier when you get all four advisers.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/6036454104

I'll shamelessly link my DK guide to soloing raids. I updated it for 5.0, but there are still a few gaps (I'm in school). And my gear isn't raid level this tier, so there are still some fights out of my reach. But at the moment, I'm downing naxx 25 without much trouble. I managed to get down gormokk in toc 25, but the worms killed me before I could get my cooldowns up.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
11/18/2012 12:27 AMPosted by Boudacious
Is C'thun soloable?

Sort of. You can bring Ouro into the fight with you so you don't auto-die when he pulls you into the stomach, but odds are you won't be able to kill the tentacles in the stomach, and if you can't, he'll keep his damage reduction and you'd have to burn through that (1M health, 99% DR, 100M damage to burn iirc). The times I've tried it it gets very laggy pretty quickly, so I wouldn't recommend it. Just bring a friend.

For razor, Second Wind should work very similarly to how blood craze used to work, except requiring you to be below 35%. I'm sure it could work somehow. Regrowth works for me, and that requires being below 50%.

For Vashj, Toxic Eles won't despawn after they've died, so all you need to do is get in range for heroic throw. Between charge and heroic leap, as long as you're alert and see where the poison bolts are flying from, that shouldn't be too difficult. When striders are up at the same time, you probably just need to ignore them while you get to and kill the toxic ele (Unless of course they're directly between you and the ele, in which case, improvise something, likely using BR early to go for the ele, then bladestorming after for the extra time to kill the strider).
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
Right, they aren't active for very long. Unless they've been accidentally changed (which is possible, a lot of that has been happening recently), though, you should have a good ~10 seconds to get to them.
Edited by Ahanss on 11/18/2012 9:25 AM PST
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Priest
i keep hearing how pallys and warriors and dks can solo old content. but has anyone solod old content with a brewmaster? i have no idea why its so hard to find anyone who does much on brewmasters but it is. just wondreing if bms can hold their own in old content soloing like dks and pallys can.
Reply Quote
94 Pandaren Warrior
I know naxx 25 at the very least is doable as BM
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
11/18/2012 09:25 AMPosted by Cezar
Cthun is impossible to solo due to the fact if all of the raid.......... ( you being solo ) are in his stomach, then you all die. ( you because your solo )

I solo'd C'thun as a Blood DK at level 85. It took an hour and a half, but it's doable.

What about Four Horsemen or Instructor? Do they give you any trouble?

Neither is difficult on 25 man at level 90. Patch is much more of a challenge; he really tests your knowledge of cooldowns. The only fight in there I can't get past yet is gluth 25, because he simply heals too much.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
11/18/2012 09:37 AMPosted by Deadlysinner
i keep hearing how pallys and warriors and dks can solo old content. but has anyone solod old content with a brewmaster? i have no idea why its so hard to find anyone who does much on brewmasters but it is. just wondreing if bms can hold their own in old content soloing like dks and pallys can.

Brewmaster has enough self-healing to solo quite a bit of stuff. I would say they were on par with blood DK's and paladins.
Reply Quote
100 Human Monk
I want to make my way solo'ing as much of the old content as I can as brewmaster or windwalker, but haven't had much time :( Only thing I've tried is Omnotron 10 man as brewmaster and I killed em after a few tries. Probably the most fun I've had in this game in a long time haha
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]