Monk Tank. Am I gemming/reforging correctly?

90 Undead Monk
I'm doing Elegon with a group, and I find I reliably have 100k less than the other tanks. I also find that a combo of Total Annihilation and Breath can, SOMETIMES, take me low enough to worry, tho I pop a cooldown (fortifying brew, guard, dampen harm, etc), if it's getting close.

I've been trying to follow the guides on the Monk forums, and using AMR, and other tools for proper reforging/gemming, but a recent raid I did ended in people criticizing me for not stacking more stam, or using haste and crit, or various other critiques of my build.

What do you guys think? Should I get some more stam? (Enchant on cloak, change up some gems, etc).

Any advice would be appreciated.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Well you are missing an enchant a glyph and 2 tinkers.

Besides that I find that [Haste >= Crit > Parry > Dodge > Mastery] is very effective for tanking all of the current content. That being said if I have the adds following the pillar phase on me for more then a second or two my lunch gets eaten. The problem with that stat priority the damage you take is directly correlated to how good of a tank you are. If you aren't comfortable with constantly clearing stagger, keeping up shuffle, and hitting elusive brew whenever you hit 10 stacks then by all means move to a much safer [Parry = Dodge > Master > Haste > Crit] build where you can squeeze in more stam enchants or trinkets. I don't feel like the second option is better by any means but I do feel like it is safer. They are really just two sides to the same coin, they both have their benefits, the first gives you much more damage and control of your character while the second allows you to focus more on fight mechanics and less on your character in particular.

Hope this helped.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Monk
Frankfu, thank you.

I'd like to point out that I do actually have the glove tinker on, not sure if it's showing up on armory. Is the stat one or the dodge one more recommended?

I'm comfortable clearing stagger regularly, I keep Shuffle up constantly, and I watch my EB stacks like it's trying to steal my food...

I think a problem i have on Elegon is that due to the way we do it, I'm going from boss to add to boss, and during that downtime, I might lose Shuffle, so I have to start on the boss again and work my way back up to a decent flow. That's probably a skill-issue, and i'm working on it.

Thanks for the help tho, friend.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
You should glyph guard and fortifying brew instead of spinning crane kick. Also your health is a bit low, you need to put some more stam on because of the high magic damage this fight slings around imo.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Death Knight
The two tinkers you are missing are on the belt and back. They aren't profession perk tinkers however, so they are optional for the most part.

The missing enchant is on your wrist. You might try a sha-touched armor kit until you can get a better bracer, which will at least boost your stamina slightly.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
I was under the impression that haste>crit>mastery>parry/dodge at this tier, and that parry/dodge was absolute crap to gear for.
Reply Quote
100 Pandaren Warrior
11/18/2012 01:39 PMPosted by Gazonk
Also your health is a bit low, you need to put some more stam on because of the high magic damage this fight slings around imo.

no you need to use guard/dampen on the high stack breath.

My co-tank has like 13k less health than the OP and hasn't died since we started killing elegon.
Edited by Ðemolition on 11/19/2012 11:34 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Explain (256 characters max)