Atonement

90 Night Elf Druid
Hi all,
I'm just trying out atonement healing atm. It's pretty effective and mana efficient. Just a question: apart from spirit, what are the stat priorities for a primarily atonement playstyle? Is it forsaking mastery for crit or haste? Have I got it wrong? Is atonement actually really crappy?

Thanks in advance for the help.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
It's not a "primary" playstyle. It's used to fill GCDs with cheap heals and DPS while building stacks of Evangelism for Archangel's healing buff.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
k thanks
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
Unless you aren't planning doing anymore than LFR. If that is the case you could get by with atonement heals imo.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
11/19/2012 03:28 AMPosted by Restorata
It's not a "primary" playstyle. It's used to fill GCDs with cheap heals and DPS while building stacks of Evangelism for Archangel's healing buff.

Exactly this. ^

The rotation used for maximum healing and mana saving is like ->

Penance-> Holy fire (instant)-> Smite-> Smite -> Smite -> pop Archangel -> PoM -> PoH-> Cascade -> PoH -> PoH (until archangel´s buff ends)

So...PoM every time possible between CDs, Cascade same, and PoH every time with Archangel´s buff on. When Archangel´s buff ends you build the evangelism stacks again with penance+holy fire + smite. Mindbender and power infusion every time possible.

If you have good gear with as much spirit as you can you will sustain the rotation very well, if you don´t you will have to do more atonement heals to save mana.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
That's...not correct at all, Mahadev.

Build Evangelism during low damage periods, unless you're slipping in Holy Fires during high damage to have Evangelism available or are running a gimmick damage modifier fight. PoM should also only be used on CD when every charge will be used before it is next castable.
Edited by Elethia on 11/26/2012 7:12 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
That's...not correct at all, Mahadev.

Build Evangelism during low damage periods, unless you're slipping in Holy Fires during high damage to have Evangelism available or are running a gimmick damage modifier fight. PoM is also really weak right now, despite being a smart heal.

It is correct, yes. It is a general rotation!, I´m just not considering all adaptations for each fight, as you are trying to do and being so attained on details. Stop trying to fix what is not wrong in a general perspective.

I said..."the rotation IS LIKE".
Edited by Mahadev on 11/19/2012 8:18 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Troll Priest
Atonement can very much be a primary playstyle. Saying smite is something you do with open globals is like saying for a fire mage that fireball is just something you do with open globals.

However, there is no true "stat priority". My general rule is
Int > Spirit (to cap) > Haste > Spirit > Crit > Mastery

The "Spirit Cap" is actually directly related to your haste, and the boss mechanics. At the beginning of this tier, my spirit cap was about 5500. That was how much I needed in order to be able to "DPS" nonstop, and use AOE CDs every 90-120 seconds. As my haste increased, so did my required spirit. The more smites/penances you cast per minute, the more mana you spend, and the more spirit you need. Because of my haste gains, my current target spirit is about 8500 (ignore my current forging, I was shadow for Sha of Fear last week).

If there is one piece of advice I can give you, it is MAKE A MANA TIDE POWER AURA. I don't use power word shield every time my rapture CD is up. I only use it when my spirit trinket is up for 19k+ raptures. But when Mana Tide is active, my rapture gives back 60k+ mana. Be absolutely sure that you are watching your shaman friends.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
Oh yeah...something I forgot, use PW:S for rapture when your spirit proc happens.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
For atoment healing style, yes, go heavy haste and crit. Crit might even sim out better for this style.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
It is correct, yes. It is a general rotation!, I´m just not considering all adaptations for each fight, as you are trying to do and being so attained on details. Stop trying to fix what is not wrong in a general perspective.

I said..."the rotation IS LIKE".

Except there is no such thing as a rotation for healers, so it's really not okay to even say "it's like this," especially when what you've said isn't even generally appropriate.

Atonement can very much be a primary playstyle. Saying smite is something you do with open globals is like saying for a fire mage that fireball is just something you do with open globals.

No. Unless you're doing a gimmick fight where Atonement is buffed by mechanics, or for some reason want to prioritize around Atonement play during low damage, or exclusively running 5-mans, Atonement is not a primary playstyle. :/
Edited by Elethia on 11/19/2012 1:34 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Troll Priest
Tell that to all the bosses I've topped meters on with most healing done by Atonement. Bosses you've never killed.

Hate to pull e-peen rank, but just because you've never done it doesn't mean it isn't good.
Edited by Lisacuddy on 11/19/2012 1:42 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
Atonement is/can be great.

Stack Crit/haste
Edited by Binochrist on 11/19/2012 4:04 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Priest
11/19/2012 08:01 AMPosted by Elethia
PoM is also really weak right now, despite being a smart heal.

Uh... What?
Could you name a heal with higher HPM or HPS?
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
Tell that to all the bosses I've topped meters on with most healing done by Atonement. Bosses you've never killed.

Hate to pull e-peen rank, but just because you've never done it doesn't mean it isn't good.

I really doubt you hated pulling e-peen rank, since it was essentially the first thing you did. Can you actually provide an argument that isn't "I've killed this boss, you haven't, therefore I clearly know more about playing a Disc priest"?

The impression I get from your logs is that your other healers aren't that good. You're seven healing everything I've found, and it's pretty sad that your effective Atonement healing is so prominent given that fact. Then you look at Damage Done, and see that you're doing nearly as much damage as some of your worst DPS.

If you're healing heavy damage phases with Atonement on 25M and topping the meters, I'm absolutely shocked that your guild is ahead of mine, because it means I'm seeing poor play on three fronts.

PoM is also really weak right now, despite being a smart heal.

Uh... What?

Self buffed, PoM hits me for 23345. Let's say it's fully effective for all 6 heals unglyphed. That's 140070, or an HPM of 13.34.

My PoH (heal + DA) hits for 45823. Let's say it's also fully effective; that's 229115, or an HPM of 16.97. I have to go down to it hitting only 3 people for full effect for it to be less HPM than PoM.

My Spirit Shelled PoH has an HPM of 19.17. Again, I have to go down to 3 for it to be less HPM than PoM.

HPS is going to be a lot more unstable for Prayer of Mending, too, because it absolutely depends on how and how fast the damage is being distributed, but PoH is going to absolutely trounce PoM for HPS unless you're Holy and it's a Divine Insight PoM. I mean, go ahead and assume damage is being taken at 1 second intervals. That means PoM is healing once every second. That's 23345 HPS. It takes me 2.3 seconds to cast PoH. Assuming just the heal is effective, that's 59782.6 HPS; if we add in DA and calculate it at the 3rd second, that's 76371.7 HPS.
Edited by Elethia on 11/19/2012 4:51 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Troll Priest
Playing with an Atonement priest in the raid drastically changes how everyone's logs look. When done correctly, it all but eliminates the need for spot healing. This lets the other healers pay a lot more attention to the real mechanics of the fight and get a real feel for when they REALLY need to spend their mana.

The fact of the matter is, HPS doesn't win fights. The fact that I manage to pull top HPS is just a function of how raiding works these days. Blizzard creates a bunch of nonsense garbage mechanics to eat away at healer mana so that when they really need it, they don't have any. When you're "x.5" healing (.5 being the smite priest), it changes the raid mana model into something that fights are absolutely not tuned around.

You can infer whatever you want from the logs. You're never going to see the complete picture on fights with huge boss rooms, or fights with multiple zones (which, combined, make up a huge portion of this tier).
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
Right now, for it to eliminate spot healing, everyone needs to be within 15 yards of the boss' hitbox.

The thing is, though, that's what it's designed for: spot healing, and you shouldn't be gearing yourself around spot healing, because it means you're not gearing yourself around the actual mechanics that need real healing attention.

If your heals are running out of mana spot healing, they're doing something seriously wrong, too. By definition, spot damage is going to be light, so unless everyone is scrambling to snipe, they should have plenty left over for the real mechanics. Pretty much every healer also has some sort of incidental healing that can take care of spot damage, too.
Edited by Elethia on 11/19/2012 5:10 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Priest

I really doubt you hated pulling e-peen rank, since it was essentially the first thing you did. Can you actually provide an argument that isn't "I've killed this boss, you haven't, therefore I clearly know more about playing a Disc priest"?

The impression I get from your logs is that your other healers aren't that good. You're seven healing everything I've found, and it's pretty sad that your effective Atonement healing is so prominent given that fact. Then you look at Damage Done, and see that you're doing nearly as much damage as some of your worst DPS.

If you're healing heavy damage phases with Atonement on 25M and topping the meters, I'm absolutely shocked that your guild is ahead of mine, because it means I'm seeing poor play on three fronts.

Uh... What?

Self buffed, PoM hits me for 23345. Let's say it's fully effective for all 6 heals unglyphed. That's 140070, or an HPM of 13.34.

My PoH (heal + DA) hits for 45823. Let's say it's also fully effective; that's 229115, or an HPM of 16.97. I have to go down to it hitting only 3 people for full effect for it to be less HPM than PoM.

My Spirit Shelled PoH has an HPM of 19.17. Again, I have to go down to 3 for it to be less HPM than PoM.

HPS is going to be a lot more unstable for Prayer of Mending, too, because it absolutely depends on how and how fast the damage is being distributed, but PoH is going to absolutely trounce PoM for HPS unless you're Holy and it's a Divine Insight PoM. I mean, go ahead and assume damage is being taken at 1 second intervals. That means PoM is healing once every second. That's 23345 HPS. It takes me 2.3 seconds to cast PoH. Assuming just the heal is effective, that's 59782.6 HPS; if we add in DA and calculate it at the 3rd second, that's 76371.7 HPS.

Prom with no crit or mastery:
57% of SP * 6 = 342% of Spellpower
Prayer of mending is 228%SP/Sec.

Prayer with no crit and 40% mastery:
67.1 of SP * 5* 1.7 = 570% Spellpower.
Prayer of healing is 228%SP/Sec.

Prayer of healing is roughly 30% more efficient if you hit all 5 targets. But is likely to overheal, miss targets, or let it's absorbs expire.

Prayer of mending will jump to the lowest health in range ignoring party lines, saving lives and minimizing it's overhealing.

I'm not trying to put prayer of healing down, but PoM is definitely worth keeping on cooldown during raid damage.

tl;dr: PoM is incredible, advising against it's use is a poor recommendation.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
I'm actually looking to reforge for an Atonement-heavy rotation for 10 Heroic Wind Lord, so I'm curious to know what people think the secondary prio should be. I know that it's approximately Crit~=Haste>Mastery, but I am not sure what (if one over the other) to focus on between Haste and Crit. My inclination would be Crit because of the DA's but I'm not totally sure. I went full Haste on H Gara'jal and it seemed to work well, but I had very little leeway to forge crit at the time we did that boss. Any suggestions?
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
Prom with no crit or mastery:
57% of SP * 6 = 342% of Spellpower
Prayer of mending is 228%SP/Sec.

Prayer with no crit and 40% mastery:
67.1 of SP * 5* 1.7 = 570% Spellpower.
Prayer of healing is 228%SP/Sec.

I'm not even sure what you're trying to do here. HPS for individual spells is healing done divided by cast time (or the time it takes for the heal to reach its full potential). Your math isn't showing that.

11/19/2012 05:56 PMPosted by Siegheal
I'm not trying to put prayer of healing down, but PoM is definitely worth keeping on cooldown during raid damage.

You asked me for a spell that has a higher HPM and HPS than PoM. I gave it. I have not found PoM worth keeping on cooldown during raid damage at the 25M level. I brought up my concerns with one of Blood Legion's priests a week or two ago, saying I was having a hard time justifying its use even during extended periods of raid damage (ie: Garalon).

I still use it when going into damage phases, or when I have a lull in damage and an extra GCD to spare.

So I'm not saying never use it, but that it's not worth keeping on cooldown during periods of heavy raid damage.
Edited by Elethia on 11/19/2012 6:46 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]