Was the purpose of ToW

91 Undead Hunter
To make Jaina a completely despicable and unlikable character? I mean I can see why she would want to go to War, but her personality took a 180 and then some. She talks about the out right murder of orphans, something her character would never do even if Theramore had been bombed in such a way. I don't get it is she insane? Or what? They didn't need to make her so crazy if they wanted an all out war between the factions. The only way I see Jaina's story ending is in her death - by Kalecgos's hand, if the story continues to be as predictable as it's been so far.

Also the writing in this book was just awful, I wish they would get better writers.
Edited by Moertos on 11/18/2012 1:59 PM PST
Reply Quote
100 Human Warrior
She wasn't quite in her right mind at the time, due to the Focusing Iris' influence, which also greatly strengthened her. Think of her fight with Thrall as her being on steroids.

Granted, she's still pretty pissed, but not to that degree.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Warrior
11/18/2012 01:56 PMPosted by Moertos
but her personality took a 180 and then

...almost completely right back. The depiction was frankly cartoonish and lazy. It could have been handled far more believably and yet produce the same results in the plot.
Reply Quote
91 Undead Hunter
11/18/2012 02:28 PMPosted by Eprouvil
The depiction was frankly cartoonish and lazy

That's kind of the feel I get from the whole book. It just so... lazy, you're right, and I can't find a better word for it. There are many things I find wrong with this book, and depiction of the character's personality and development are chief among my complaints.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
It was pretty poorly done, yes.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
but her personality took a 180 and then

...almost completely right back. The depiction was frankly cartoonish and lazy. It could have been handled far more believably and yet produce the same results in the plot.

By how...exactly. Seems cartoonish seems to be the latest buzzword.
Edited by Lorthuron on 11/18/2012 2:39 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
11/18/2012 02:38 PMPosted by Lorthuron
By how...exactly. Seems cartoonish seems to be the latest buzzword.

The way she constantly flipped through emotions. First she was sad, then she was mad, then she was sad, then she was making out with Kalec and neutral.

It wasn't a good book.
Reply Quote
91 Undead Hunter
11/18/2012 02:38 PMPosted by Lorthuron
cartoonish

I don't know man, the part where she was sitting on a hill, stroking the Focusing Iris, going "Yes... yes... go home..." Was pretty freaking cartoony, and a bit unintentionally humorous.
Edited by Moertos on 11/18/2012 2:48 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
11/18/2012 02:45 PMPosted by Moertos
cartoonish

I don't know man, the part where she was sitting on a hill, stroking the Focusing Iris, going "Yes... yes... go home..." Was pretty freaking cartoony, and a bit humorous.

Lol that's not cartoony. I think people are just jaded.

The way she constantly flipped through emotions. First she was sad, then she was mad, then she was sad, then she was making out with Kalec and neutral.

You'll hate me for this but considering what happened and the Iris affecting her.....I'm not surprised.
Reply Quote
91 Undead Hunter
11/18/2012 02:48 PMPosted by Lorthuron

Yes, it is. Come on, how does that not bring to mind the stereotypical "bad guy" stroking his cat, plotting the doom and destruction of the world?

I laughed so hard, I nearly broke my kindle.
Edited by Moertos on 11/18/2012 2:52 PM PST
Reply Quote
I found her reaction pretty believable, myself.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Priest
11/18/2012 02:52 PMPosted by Moertos

Yes, it is. Come on, how does that not bring to mind the stereotypical "bad guy" stroking his cat, plotting the doom and destruction of the world?

Maybe to bring a little humor to the situation?
Reply Quote
91 Undead Hunter
11/18/2012 02:54 PMPosted by Haely

The writing loses even more favor with me, because if it was the actual intention of the writer, then the writer is daft because that was not an appropriate place for humor in the story.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Priest
11/18/2012 02:57 PMPosted by Moertos

The writing loses even more favor with me, because if it was the actual intention of the writer, then the writer is daft because that was not an appropriate place for humor in the story.

I haven't read the book yet, keep putting it off. So I don't know where it happens just sounds kind of like what was meant to be.
Reply Quote
91 Undead Hunter
11/18/2012 03:02 PMPosted by Haely
I haven't read the book yet, keep putting it off. So I don't know where it happens just sounds kind of like what was meant to be.

It isn't. And I'd advise you to read the book before commenting on it, because really, you don't know how the story has flowed up to that point.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
11/18/2012 02:52 PMPosted by Moertos

I can see where you think that but I didn't. But hey... I still say you're jaded and just want to look for issues.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
11/18/2012 03:06 PMPosted by Thorm
But hey... I still say you're jaded and just want to look for issues.

And I think you're a tool who is pointlessly defending bad writing.

But lets not resort to personal insults, hm?

No I don't. I just think he's jaded and seen so many bad cartoons and if he doesn't like something conceptually it's cartoonish. But you already resorted to insults already so /shrug

Really I think he's jaded. I mean keep in mind Jaina was going through a lot, but nope it's bad writing cause Blizzard is bad right?

I'm sick and tired of people damning Blizzard no matter what they do.
Reply Quote
91 Undead Hunter
11/18/2012 03:06 PMPosted by Thorm
And I think you're a tool

Uncalled for.

11/18/2012 03:05 PMPosted by Lorthuron
I still say you're jaded and just want to look for issues.

Uncalled for.

11/18/2012 03:07 PMPosted by Haely
Wow nice way to sound like a freaking a**.

Uncalled for.

I just saw the title so I figured I would see how everyone was reacting to the book, when I saw that comment about what she does I laughed at it and thought maybe that would be the intent of the Author.

Reminds me of Lord of the Rings with Gollum. There no reason to be so rude about it.

I wasn't being rude you chose to take it that. The tone was trying to be calm and explain to you that this conversation wasn't meant for some one who hasn't read the book.

11/18/2012 03:09 PMPosted by Lorthuron
Really I think he's jaded. I mean keep in mind Jaina was going through a lot, but nope it's bad writing cause Blizzard is bad right?

No, she was acting like a cliche cartoony villain, there are myriad ways to describe and portray some one changing their minds and perhaps turning from peace to war without having them become a Saturday morning cartoon villain. Stop trying to turn this conversation into something it's not.
11/18/2012 03:09 PMPosted by Lorthuron
I'm sick and tired of people damning Blizzard no matter what they do.

I'm not damning Blizzard, I'm damning the author because this book was bad. Would you like me to explain the other was in which the book was just full of bad writing?
Edited by Moertos on 11/18/2012 3:15 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]