The Yaungol

90 Night Elf Warrior
Alright, thus far we know the yaungol used to be tauren who happened to be in the Townlong Steppes when the continent separated from the rest of Kalimdor. We know they have some sort of special connection with fire and that they're tough as nails. But, they are probably the race we know the least of their part to play in the coming patches. Mogu, pandaren, jinyu, hozen, and to a lesser extent the saurok. We have at least an idea of what they are going to do this expansion. The yaungol not so much.

I'm curious as to what the yaungol are going to be doing, their motives and who they really are.

Firstly, they just happened to be in Pandaria when it split apart? When has fate really played any part in the WoW lore? No other race managed to get trapped on Pandaria. I'm not saying they wanted to be trapped on the continent but more what were they doing there in the first place. Why were they so far south of where the tauren usually roam? Why have they never tried to negotiate with anyone? If they asked the pandaren if they could have a little land within the wall to live wouldn't the monks give it to them?

In the temple of the jade serpent when you fight strife and peril the yaungol yells "for the Ancients". Does that mean they still revere the Ancient Guardians. I thought they revered fire because it has been the only thing keeping them alive. Are there Ancients on Pandaria? Not the celestials but the actual tauren and night elven ancients. Unless they were calling the celestials by a different name that they could relate to. Like trolls calling wisps Loa in moonglade. What if they were looking for a lost ancient. That could explain the lack of a cat ancient in Kalimdor.

Also, what else are they going to do? We know we will see more of the thunder king and there is a good chance the saurok will play some part of that. Will all the yaungol clans band together and take over the entirety of northern Pandaria? Or will they unleash some kind of fire storm that will ravage the land? Maybe they are business partners with Gallywix and are supplying him with oil.

I really want to see more of them. I think they need to play a larger role in coming patches. There are just, in my opinion too many questions regarding them. Now I may just be making them a bigger deal then they really are but I would hate for them to become another trash race that Blizzard does nothing with after the expansion. What do you guys think?
Reply Quote
11/18/2012 02:58 PMPosted by Ondor
Firstly, they just happened to be in Pandaria when it split apart? When has fate really played any part in the WoW lore? No other race managed to get trapped on Pandaria. I'm not saying they wanted to be trapped on the continent but more what were they doing there in the first place. Why were they so far south of where the tauren usually roam? Why have they never tried to negotiate with anyone? If they asked the pandaren if they could have a little land within the wall to live wouldn't the monks give it to them?

Most of Azeroth's races aren't nomadic. The tauren are. They likely ranged all over southwestern Kalimdor before the Centaur came about.

In the temple of the jade serpent when you fight strife and peril the yaungol yells "for the Ancients". Does that mean they still revere the Ancient Guardians. I thought they revered fire because it has been the only thing keeping them alive. Are there Ancients on Pandaria? Not the celestials but the actual tauren and night elven ancients. Unless they were calling the celestials by a different name that they could relate to. Like trolls calling wisps Loa in moonglade. What if they were looking for a lost ancient. That could explain the lack of a cat ancient in Kalimdor.

It could also refer to ancient ancestors. I believe both modern tauren and yaungol are said to have a degree of ancestor worship.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest

I really want to see more of them. I think they need to play a larger role in coming patches. There are just, in my opinion too many questions regarding them. Now I may just be making them a bigger deal then they really are but I would hate for them to become another trash race that Blizzard does nothing with after the expansion. What do you guys think?

Agreed. I thought they were one of the cooler extra races added in Pandaria.
Reply Quote
90 Human Monk
Firstly, they just happened to be in Pandaria when it split apart? When has fate really played any part in the WoW lore?

Uh...pretty much always? For everything?

Why is it hard to believe a nomadic race had a tribe in the south?

I'm not saying they wanted to be trapped on the continent but more what were they doing there in the first place.

Hunting, eating, etc?

In the temple of the jade serpent when you fight strife and peril the yaungol yells "for the Ancients". Does that mean they still revere the Ancient Guardians. I thought they revered fire because it has been the only thing keeping them alive.

Why can't they revere more than one thing?

Also, what else are they going to do? We know we will see more of the thunder king and there is a good chance the saurok will play some part of that. Will all the yaungol clans band together and take over the entirety of northern Pandaria? Or will they unleash some kind of fire storm that will ravage the land? Maybe they are business partners with Gallywix and are supplying him with oil.

More like they got sandwiched between us and the Mantid and we kicked their !@#.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Warrior
11/18/2012 03:04 PMPosted by Omacron
It could also refer to ancient ancestors. I believe both modern tauren and yaungol are said to have a degree of ancestor worship.

Ya but wouldn't he just shout for the ancestors or something? Plus I doubt the word ancient would be capitalized.

11/18/2012 04:00 PMPosted by Draile

Because when said tribe starts getting the crap beaten out of them one would think they would ask for help from a supposedly peaceful race who share much of the same faith. Unless of course they were there for a purpose.

Why can't they revere more than one thing?

They can. However, it's difficult to integrate a new cultural aspect without at least partly assimilating another.

More like they got sandwiched between us and the Mantid and we kicked their !@#.

That's the thing. They need to retaliate. They need to pull something unexpected. What needs to happen is Blizzard needs to do some good writing and make the yaungol play a more complex part in the story of Pandaria that needs to be interacted with. They shouldn't just say "they were there by accident, refused all outside help, and now they are being pushed back to the inside of the wall so you need to go kill a few". It would suck if they were just another trash race that are there just for fluff instead of something important. Or they become Garrosh's new favourite play toy 2 expansions later.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Warrior
11/19/2012 04:30 AMPosted by Ondor

Because when said tribe starts getting the crap beaten out of them one would think they would ask for help from a supposedly peaceful race who share much of the same faith. Unless of course they were there for a purpose.
The yaungol were trapped on the other side of the wall. There was likely not much if any contact between the yaungol and the pandaren.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Warrior
11/19/2012 02:33 PMPosted by Vegdrasil
The yaungol were trapped on the other side of the wall. There was likely not much if any contact between the yaungol and the pandaren.

I don't know. The pandaren couldn't have been totally oblivious to everything that goes on outside. The shado-pan especially.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
With the lack of info on their past, for all we know the Yaungol and Pandaren got along for some centuries maybe even trading. As Lorewalker Cho says, there is much of Pandaren history that has been lost, even to the pandaren Lorewalkers.

Tauren are a strong and proud people. Likewise for the Yaungols. For me it wouldn't be hard to believe that they just set up camp in Townlong and stayed as independent as possible.

Still there could have been some mistrust for the Pandaren, because it was a Pandaren Emperor who split the continent off and stranded them there. Rather than run to the Pandaren or fight the Pandaren they just chose to become xenophobic, take their own piece of land and live there like there was nobody beyond it. Dealing with the mantid cycle alone.
Reply Quote
90 Human Monk

Why would a tribe do that when they're a particularly violent tribe? Not all Tauren are peaceful by nature.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior

Why would a tribe do that when they're a particularly violent tribe? Not all Tauren are peaceful by nature.

Cause the Earthmother dropped them when they were babies. Bad joke...but..maybe the Earthmother abandoned them...

EDIT: Have the Tauren even referenced the Yaungol at all?
Edited by Lorthuron on 11/19/2012 6:02 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Monk
I don't know, I haven't done Horde questing for MoP(yet!).

Though I will say that I remember the Tauren weren't expecting to find anything like the Yaunka in Northrend.
Reply Quote
Ya but wouldn't he just shout for the ancestors or something? Plus I doubt the word ancient would be capitalized.

You do know "Ancient" already refers to two completely unrelated creatures, right? Nature spirits like Malorne and Aggamaggan, but also walking trees. Blizzard just really likes that word for some reason.

The Serpent's Spine wall was built during the reign of the Mogu Empire, which means that the pandaren weren't in control of the empire to the east at the time. I wouldn't be surprised if the mogu's creation of the serpent's shrine wall is what trapped them there until the sundering. As for getting help from the pandaren: the tauren/yaungol didn't participate in the pandaren revolution, so the pandaren don't owe them jack diddly.

They can. However, it's difficult to integrate a new cultural aspect without at least partly assimilating another.

The tauren had great big open plains to live on where they hunted and frolicked for thousands of years. The yaungol had to contend with the mantid for resources. A similar thing happened to the Taunka, who are much darker than the tauren as well due to having a scarcity of resources in Northrend, and end up bullying the elements to eke a living.

That's the thing. They need to retaliate. They need to pull something unexpected. What needs to happen is Blizzard needs to do some good writing and make the yaungol play a more complex part in the story of Pandaria that needs to be interacted with. They shouldn't just say "they were there by accident, refused all outside help, and now they are being pushed back to the inside of the wall so you need to go kill a few". It would suck if they were just another trash race that are there just for fluff instead of something important. Or they become Garrosh's new favourite play toy 2 expansions later.

They did try to retaliate. Which is why us player characters kill them.
Reply Quote
26 Worgen Hunter
Didn't the magazine say something about a time when the Tauren turned away from the ways that the Earthmother set for them? I'm thinking the Yaungol may be those Tauren.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Warrior
The Yaungol stole the job Cenataur race!
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Shaman
11/19/2012 06:27 PMPosted by Rudox
Didn't the magazine say something about a time when the Tauren turned away from the ways that the Earthmother set for them? I'm thinking the Yaungol may be those Tauren.

Not the magazine, that was a reference to some Tauren being turned crazy by old gods, and while it's possible the Yaungol are them, it'd be kinda weird since they're stated to have changed as a result of isolation and harsh environment, not old gods.

I think it's more likely those turned away from the teachings are the Grimtotem.
Reply Quote
26 Worgen Hunter
11/19/2012 10:06 PMPosted by Skytotem
Not the magazine, that was a reference to some Tauren being turned crazy by old gods, and while it's possible the Yaungol are them, it'd be kinda weird since they're stated to have changed as a result of isolation and harsh environment, not old gods.

I think it's fairly likely that the Old Gods enticed them away from their proving grounds but weren't successful in completely bending them to their will. The Taunka might have been called too, by Yogg'saron. The changes we see today may have been the Old Gods' attempt to mutate them, though they were able to resist due to their relationship with the Earthmother, even if they did turn their backs on it.

EDIT: Ok, maybe not likely, but it's an idea.
Edited by Rudox on 11/19/2012 10:24 PM PST
Reply Quote
From http://www.wowpedia.org/Old_Gods#Whispers

The most striking historic account of the Old Whisperings however is found in the ancient scrolls of lore of the Tauren tribes, kept at Elder Rise within their capital city of Thunder Bluff. The legend of creation of the formerly nomadic Tauren makes a direct reference to the Whisperings, stating that the first incidents of Tauren having committed acts of deceit, murder or warfare were because some of their early brethren "hearkened to the dark whispers from deep beneath the world."[27] Ysera acknowledged that these Whisperings originated from the Old Gods, and that they penetrate even into the Emerald Dream.[9]
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Warrior
11/20/2012 12:07 PMPosted by Gornur
The most striking historic account of the Old Whisperings however is found in the ancient scrolls of lore of the Tauren tribes, kept at Elder Rise within their capital city of Thunder Bluff. The legend of creation of the formerly nomadic Tauren makes a direct reference to the Whisperings, stating that the first incidents of Tauren having committed acts of deceit, murder or warfare were because some of their early brethren "hearkened to the dark whispers from deep beneath the world."[27] Ysera acknowledged that these Whisperings originated from the Old Gods, and that they penetrate even into the Emerald Dream.[9]

Exactly. Maybe they were banished.

I'm also having a hard time understanding why the yaungol have not spawned any sha. Or at least as far as I know there weren't when I was questing through the steppes. How do yaungol wage warfare without some old god whisper making them suffer for it. I know there was that one in Kun-Lai but I'm pretty sure that was after the alliance and horde came and catalyzed the situation.

11/19/2012 06:19 PMPosted by Omacron
You do know "Ancient" already refers to two completely unrelated creatures, right? Nature spirits like Malorne and Aggamaggan, but also walking trees. Blizzard just really likes that word for some reason.

Ya but those two are at least somewhat related. Besides the Ancients like Goldrinn have a capital 'A' while the trees are referred to with a lower case 'a'.

As for getting help from the pandaren: the tauren/yaungol didn't participate in the pandaren revolution, so the pandaren don't owe them jack diddly.

I never said they owe them but couldn't they just help them. The pandaren don't seem like they would ask for anything in return. Actually now that I think about it Shaohao did try to abandon every other race to die in green flames. But he was trying to save his people. I don't necessarily think aiding the yaungol would have really affected them that much.

11/19/2012 05:51 PMPosted by Draile

Even the mogu understood the threat of the mantid and they aren't really that well equipped as far as thinking ahead and common sense go.

They did try to retaliate. Which is why us player characters kill them.

That wasn't really retaliation. That was getting pushed too far by the mantid and in need of new land. Retaliation would have been destroying the shado-pan monastery.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]