Suggestion for the Next Heroic/Challenge Mode

100 Gnome Warlock
I think a good place to bring back would be arguably the predecessor to the modern dungeon design:

Magister's Terrace.

This relatively short, tightly packed, and linear dungeon was a big hit back in BC (for me, at least). I think in the era of plentiful CC, self-heals, interrupts, flexible talents, etc., this would be a prime time to revitalize it. Not only is the art concept gorgeous and hardly ever seen -Blood Elves have definitely been looking for some lore love- but the trash pulls could actually kill you.

As a challenge mode, I would expect this to be especially interesting because Delrissa's add composition makes it unpredictable.

Thoughts?
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Warrior
Blood Elves need more anything.
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Death Knight
BRD

DO IT!
Reply Quote
100 Gnome Warlock
BRD

DO IT!

I think they'd have to break it up though. It's much longer than most MoP dungeons. Plus, think of how agonizing a challenge mode wipe would be.
Reply Quote
100 Troll Rogue
Oh god the pvp boss where none of the mobs have any proper threat table and I would go full pvp gear with a pvp trinket and just focus on controlling and stunning mobs.

Actually now that I think of it the bosses in there would actually suit challenge modes without too much tweaking, some already have the risk vs reward thing of being able to kill the boss faster by taking more damage and stuff like that.
Reply Quote
80 Human Hunter

As a challenge mode, I would expect this to be especially interesting because Delrissa's add composition makes it unpredictable.

Thoughts?

If it were made into a Challenge Mode it wouldn't be random.
Reply Quote
100 Gnome Warlock
Oh god the pvp boss where none of the mobs have any proper threat table and I would go full pvp gear with a pvp trinket and just focus on controlling and stunning mobs.

Actually now that I think of it the bosses in there would actually suit challenge modes without too much tweaking, some already have the risk vs reward thing of being able to kill the boss faster by taking more damage and stuff like that.

Ya, you wouldn't need PvP gear for Delrissa's adds though because Resilience doesn't mitigate their damage (unless your team member gets MC'd) and Power doesn't help your damage. The trinket might be useful though.

I think you hit upon exactly what I was referring to though: the dungeon already feels well-suited to the challenge mode design.
Reply Quote
100 Gnome Warlock

Thoughts?

If it were made into a Challenge Mode it wouldn't be random.

That's probably true, based on what they did with Stormstout Brewery. Nevertheless, depending on which adds they set and how you react to them, I think the experience would still have more variation than your typical boss.
Reply Quote
100 Troll Rogue
Ya, you wouldn't need PvP gear for Delrissa's adds though because Resilience doesn't mitigate their damage (unless your team member gets MC'd) and Power doesn't help your damage. The trinket might be useful thoug

Yah pvp gear in pve damage reduction worked back in bc though right up until half way through wrath.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
Stratholme will be a 90 dungeon. They re-vamped it in 5.0.4 but it's still a crappy lowbie dungeon?! I actually thought it was supposed to be a 90 heroic like Scholo when MoP launched. Got to 90, surprised it wasn't there.

Full clear of BRD Challenge Mode... 12 hours for Gold Metal, 20 hours for Silver. Bring a tent and non-parishable canned goods.
Edited by Zionic on 11/18/2012 4:13 PM PST
Reply Quote
94 Pandaren Warrior
I want to see Dire Maul next
Reply Quote
100 Gnome Warlock
11/18/2012 04:10 PMPosted by Zionic
Full clear of BRD Challenge Mode... 12 hours for Gold Metal, 20 hours for Silver. Bring a tent and non-parishable canned goods.

I lol'd. Sooo true!
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Death Knight
I think they'd have to break it up though. It's much longer than most MoP dungeons. Plus, think of how agonizing a challenge mode wipe would be.

That's the challenge.

People have completed I Wanna Be The Guy without saving a single time, I'm pretty sure that a BRD challenge run would be piddles compared to that.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
I think that most dungeons are truly interesting candidates for challenge modes, with ''timed'' ones only being unconceivable: I don't know how Violet Hold or the Black Portal could work, in an elegant way.

I had a discussion with a friend earlier and we talked about how some raids could also be scaled down to 5-man format and tuned for challenges. Think of an Ulduar dungeon limited to the 4 Titan bosses — wouldn't it be awesome to 5-man fight Mimiron with the hard mode mechanics? Firefighter all over again!

I'm most certainly looking forward to new challenges. In the meanwhile, though, still have a few golds to go. :)
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Death Knight
11/18/2012 09:14 PMPosted by Bouleau
I think that most dungeons are truly interesting candidates for challenge modes, with ''timed'' ones only being unconceivable: I don't know how Violet Hold or the Black Portal could work, in an elegant way.

tune them so 4 DPS with a blood DK isn't conceivable, you know, make them challenging.

then it becomes a DPS, but Black Morass had issues with rng affecting speed (running across vs close spawn). Violet Hold, obviously, you'd always get the water boss that takes forever. (actually, they addressed this with Brewery by having it always be 1 set, rather than random).

I personally think they need to make challenge mode specific dungeons, since the current setup, is too damn gimmicky, to the point it doesn't even interest me.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
11/18/2012 09:14 PMPosted by Bouleau

Make the portals activate based off of proximity. Want to go faster? Open more at the same time!

Violet Hold has issues due to random boss situation... unless the special challenge mode number tuning/mechanics are having to fight multiple bosses at the same time. No RNG if it's the same combos every wave!
Edited by Yablik on 11/18/2012 10:39 PM PST
Reply Quote
BRD

DO IT!

Gold - 35 minutes
Silver - 1 hour
Bronze - 2 hours 45 minutes.
Reply Quote
100 Orc Death Knight
Bronze for BRD would just being able to find all the bosses in the dungeon and/or not getting lost lol.
Reply Quote
100 Worgen Mage
Dev talked about Arcatraz in the BWC interview. That'd be a good one.
Edited by Digerati on 11/19/2012 1:59 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Mage
11/18/2012 03:44 PMPosted by Dalmasca
Ya, you wouldn't need PvP gear for Delrissa's adds though because Resilience doesn't mitigate their damage (unless your team member gets MC'd)

Does resilience actually mitigate damage from party members under the control of a hostile NPC?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]