cross realm and the hacker and botters

(Locked)

90 Blood Elf Priest
11/19/2012 06:11 PMPosted by Gutulrak
It didn't get off topic, Blizzard's lust for profit is at the core of every problem of this game.
So you are trying to derail the thread with your own agenda of bias towards Blizzard?
Support Forum Agent
11/19/2012 05:04 PMPosted by Gutulrak
This "problem" has been persisting for years.

Well no, not exactly. Botting and other exploitation has been present for years in one form or another, but these matters are resolved all the time. One botting program is either "broken" so that it cannot be used or detection methods are found that allow us to quickly catch those using them.

New methods are created to replace the old.

11/19/2012 04:49 PMPosted by Vangore
this game was bad enuff but now with cross realms the botter and hackers are really getting bad, blizzard are you anything at to combat this and if you are making it leagal now please say so, cause its really getting out of control...thank you.

I fail to see what CRZ has to do with any of this but to answer your accusation, Vangore, botting/hacking is no more "legal" now then theft or other crimes are in the real world. That such activities exists is not an indication that it is permitted or that it is being ignored, only that it is not nearly as easy to address as many seem to think it is and addressing these matters takes time.

11/19/2012 05:18 PMPosted by Gutulrak
Obviously, ban on the spot. You are telling me they don't have ability to observe in real time the situation in a BG? Despite what they say, its about $$$.

That is a very simplistic ideal, Gutulrak, and while you may very well say that, you don't have to validate your decisions with any kind of proof. We do.

It is not enough simply to watch a character and say "This character is moving in a pattern and not responding to whispers, he is botting". Are they? Very possible, but our goal is and always have been, to only action those that we are absolutely certain are violating our policies. Even with that caution, we make mistakes and for that reason alone we have an appeals process.

So, what if you were suspended for botting and you disputed that account closure. How would you propose we go about verifying that you were or weren't botting? We could check with the Game Master that observed you, but is his memory 100%? People have off days and perhaps he made a mistake and only thought you were botting. What if you were away from the game for awhile and didn't dispute this for weeks or months? What if the GM is with another department or no longer with the company? So what now? You are banned, you have no real recourse because there is a note that indicates that someone thought you were botting. What do you do?

We understand that this type of exploitation is frustrating, no one wants it in their game, us least of all, but the way we deal with this is important. Not because of the money, that is as asinine an accusation now as it has ever been. Other folks cheating drives away more subscriptions than allowing it to continue would generate. How we take care of bots and other exploitation has a lasting impact. Not only for the guilty but also for the innocent. Our preventative measures as well as the detection methods that are added due to these investigations improve how much we can find. You'd be surprised by the number of older methods that are still tried today. It is because of the work our Hacks team has done that allows us to block or quickly detect its use and remove them.

That doesn't mean someone isn't going to go back to the drawing board and try and make a better way to bot, one that will remain undetected longer, but that is the nature of the game. As long as there are people willing to cheat, there will be those who find a way to do just that.

We can only do what we can do.

11/19/2012 05:31 PMPosted by Gutulrak
Some people are so naiive. If I was working at a high level position, and I read your statement "against Blizzard's rules" I'd probably be giggling. There's a difference between the image they present of themselves, and the reality. I'm not suggesting its wrong or right, but that is reality.

We are a company of gamers, we make the games that we love to play ourselves. Yes, we make money, we're a business and it allows us to do what we love. Your image seems to more akin to a boardroom full of Snidely Wipelashes all twisting our long mustaches while we roll around in money, it doesn't seem to have any basis in reality.

It didn't get off topic, Blizzard's lust for profit is at the core of every problem of this game.

Alright, that is enough.

why are there more botters in BGs right now than legit players?

Oh, I don't know. Perhaps they are using a method that is not as easy to address as some of the previous methods.

I think we're done here.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]