Galleon spawn mechanics

100 Gnome Mage
Hi there, I was looking for the old suggestion forums and couldn't seem to find them. If I missed them please move this thread there and accept my apologies for the hassle!

I just wanted to come here and ask if there is any way Blizzard would reconsider how Galleon spawns. I've spent a lot of time in game before for raid progression or when a new xpac comes out but yesterday was the first time I really felt stressed about "needing" to stay signed in.

Now of course I don't "need" to kill Galleon, I understand that. It is just once you've waited for an hour, or a few hours you keep becoming more and more invested in killing him during that spawn and it can turn into a crazy situation where we've had people waiting around for over 24 hours for Galleon to spawn. If they had to leave to take a nap or sleep or do anything a lot of us had people that were going to call and wake us up if he spawned only because after sitting and staring at that patch of dirt for 6 hours you REALLY don't want to miss him this time.

I read that he might be bugged atm, and I just think it's dangerous to have a mechanic like this in game where there is a world boss that drops really great loot has this massive window when he can spawn leading people to feel increasingly compelled to sit there and stare at their screen so they don't miss it. Then, the more time you spend waiting, the harder it is to give up. And especially if he is bugged that needs to be something that is announced in a timely manner.

You allow tag sharing (which is great since he is not instanced) so I don't really see a problem adding a MoP wide announcement when he is going to spawn in 30 mins. Maybe even like the STV arena where there is a few minutes warning so people have a chance to get there and get set up in raids.

I'm not even saying this because I want to be able to kill him more often, last night was just the first time that I had a lot of frustration about feeling the need to stay online and logged in my main when I'd have rather played an alt or just slept. And I know people have camped rare spawns for 24 hours before, but I'm talking about hundreds of people on my server from all different guilds waiting for him to spawn and more than a few of them have had very little sleep in the past 24 hours because of the unpredictable spawn timer.

I would really appreciate it if you would look into this and maybe reconsider how he is approached as a world boss. Even though I understand Blizzard isn't in charge of players being responsible with their game time, it does seem that mechanics like this can encourage or lead to unhealthy chunks of time spent in game which we've seen have very dangerous consequences in the past. Thanks for your consideration.
Reply Quote
80 Gnome Rogue
AnW
If you've got feedback/questions about game mechanics you need to post to the forum most appropriate and General Discussion if it doesn't fit anywhere else. Even if there were any on duty, the SFAs aren't liaisons to the Devs.
Reply Quote
57 Goblin Death Knight
I don't even waste my time with Galleon anymore. It is a non-issue for me.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Warlock
11/17/2012 11:06 PMPosted by Thelootgnome
If you've got feedback/questions about game mechanics you need to post to the forum most appropriate and General Discussion if it doesn't fit anywhere else. Even if there were any on duty, the SFAs aren't liaisons to the Devs.

This.

And a randomely spawning world boss is exactly that, it's not intended as farmable content.
Edited by Arizza on 11/18/2012 1:29 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Warrior
Hi,

I was the raid leader for the main camping group for well over 14 hours yesterday for Proudmoore. Just came back online today after passing out due to sitting there for 20 hours (up for well over 24 hours total) to find he hasn't spawned.

Some of the posters here do not realize how rare spawns work it seems;
As somebody who has camped almost every single rare spawn in the game including those with the longest spawn timer I can state there is something wrong with the spawn timer with Galleon.
This isn't a case of "oh rare spawn didn't spawn too bad" - This is happening across multiple servers.
If he's not spawning on other servers and not just one it's not "RNG fail" - He'd have spawned on at least one.

There's a minimum spawn timer and he usually spawns between 12-24 hours afterwards.
This is approaching dangerous levels for campers as there is no shared "extra" spawn to alert people to go to bed, take a break or elsewise.

100% confirmation he's bugged would be nice so those of us that usually look after these things for realms can actually go take a break.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Mage
Agreed, what happened to

Sha of Anger is more like Archavon. Galleon is more like Kazzak.

I looked up kazzak on wowhead, he has a 2-4 day timer. Galleon spawned on Kil'jaeden on tues at server up, it's now sunday morning and 100's of people on KJ wasted all day waiting on the 2-4 day spawn timer, and still he's not up.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
11/17/2012 11:25 PMPosted by Bewsta
I don't even waste my time with Galleon anymore.

This. There's no reason to camp him. Just hope your faction tags him and hope they're feeling generous about letting you in.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Warrior
11/18/2012 04:39 PMPosted by Seiryu
I don't even waste my time with Galleon anymore.

This. There's no reason to camp him. Just hope your faction tags him and hope they're feeling generous about letting you in.

Good luck with that on a high population realm.
Reply Quote
100 Human Warrior

Good luck with that on a high population realm.

This.

On Stormrage we get over 10+ groups of 40 farming him and it's gotten rediculous this past week, he last spawned on tueday of last week and has yet to spawn. I think its funny when folks are complaining about 24-48 hours and groups of us have been camping him in shifts for the past 100 hours. Yeah, it sucks, but it's a an easy shot at some decent loot.

Tag shares for over 400 folks can get a little crazy, imagine the folks that have been camping for 100+ that dont get a share. You get zone wide !@#$%ing for hours after that.

Good luck everyone.
Edited by Hugeclue on 11/19/2012 10:16 AM PST
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Shaman
Someone in my guild stated that Galleon was glitched according to Blizzard, and not spawning at all on several realms. I have not checked to verify that though.

Personally, I've decided Gal is not worth my limited yet very filled WoW time to wait around on.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]