The Spirit Of Arena

Before I say anything, for some people it's important to have lots of awesome stats and achievements to actually consider someone elses opinion viable. You have to prove you have had at least their "collection" of information and that you have accumulated as much information off they game as they have.
If you think the above statement is true, this might not be a thread you would enjoy (unless you like to flame/troll).

With that said, I've played 2 rogues and a Resto druid to higher rated 2s and 3s ratings (1800-2.1k range. Ive played seasons 7-9(my favorite- mutt rogue time and resto tree form's strength.. not to mention the hybrid days, when you could be a moonkin with swiftmend, or a mutt rogue with prep). Sorry I just like playing arenas alot so I tend to overspeak when im talking about them because I get excited about what im talking of. --Which is kind of this threads point anyway?

This rogue however, is new. I gave my friend my Resto druid/rogue account i have my Achievements on you all so care about.

Main Thread:
The other day, I was dueling outside Orgrimar looking for a new 2s partner, I still havnt found one to push with yet considering I just leveled 90 on my new rogue and I started on a fresh server.

I asked this Shadow Priest to do dailies and his reply was that he's Conquest capped, so why do any more arenas? Ive seem the same attitude with amost EVERYONE I run arenas with.

Its always - Get the points, wait till next week. Rinse and Repeat.

In season 9 everyone I played with it was understood that you were about to arena not once a week, but a couple times a week. And for maybe more than a few hours each time. This makes me wonder about 2 things.

1. Is the Conquest system positively affecting the fun or spirit of arena? It almost looks like its stifling it. People arena for 25 minutes and have most of their conquest points for the week... Is that as intended Blizzard? A fix would be lowering conquest point rewards in arenas to like 20 points a win.. maybe 100 for the first win of the day... keep the people PvP'ing or we will die out and theyre will be noone left willing to fight.

2. Are the very people I'm talking about the majority of PvP'ers? I really hope there's more Pride for the pit than that.
Reply Quote
90 Human Monk
Because in BC, you needed arena rating in order to wear pvp pieces, but now you don't need anything.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
11/18/2012 03:14 PMPosted by Minstrel
Because in BC, you needed arena rating in order to wear pvp pieces, but now you don't need anything.
Reply Quote
Xfer KT alliance and go human. You won't look good but people love to PvP. My old server was a PvP server but it may as well have been PvE since everyone only raided. On kt right now if I put in "t1 bm LF 2s for fun" in trade Ill get a bunch of tells. Also theres honestly like 10 different RBG groups happening at different ratings at the same time.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
I save that attitude and mentality for more structured and competent competitive games, that dont have the amount of random elements and nonsense that goes into a system that was, in its inception and release, shoe horned in as an activity that the classes were fundamentally not designed around.

An activity that has causes the majority of players who indulge in it, to gauge themselves on a higher stature then they really are/n't

The very same players who take offense when "lesser capable" players are granted by certain means, access to gear and therefore stats that bring them closer in line to fair and balanced play that actual competitive mindsets welcome with open arms. Not a rich get richer system that is generally in place on the live client (not the arena tournament server).

INB4 gear doesnt matter, skill matters. Irrelevant, a marginal difference is still a difference that removes the absolute even ground that all competitive activities are based around in the grand scheme of things.

Early cata "glads" complained to great lengths about the fact that RBGS allowed players access to t2 weapons, yet true competitive "spirit" if you will would have an individual embrace an approach like that, to allow them the chance to demonstrate there ability as a player vs the statistical advantage no matter how large or small they have access to exclusively.

It is a breeding ground for elitism and negative attitude being an internet / non personal game. An attitude that in all honesty it hardly warrants when looking at the actual game and how it plays.

There is no spirit when all that matters is the acquisition of better loot and the ego to pad it. When there is an infinite struggle of actual "balance" with out damaging the "other half" of the actual "game" that arena exists within.

The Fighting game community
The RTS community
The FPS community (for the most part)
are all prime examples of pure, unadulterated competitive gaming without the BS
Edited by Sahbin on 11/18/2012 3:40 PM PST
Reply Quote
You knew exactly what I meant thank you for the response. For one I'll definitely be checkign out the communities you listen and you made some really great points answering my questions while also building ont he idea, I liked that. Thanks again Shabin
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
you didn't need arena rating to wear pieces lol what

Imagine if you bought your new set of gear then lost a game. Would your gear suddenly fall off because you no longer met the rating requirements? lmfao
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Warrior
I save that attitude and mentality for more structured and competent competitive games, that dont have the amount of random elements and nonsense that goes into a system that was, in its inception and release, shoe horned in as an activity that the classes were fundamentally not designed around.

An activity that has causes the majority of players who indulge in it, to gauge themselves on a higher stature then they really are/n't

The very same players who take offense when "lesser capable" players are granted by certain means, access to gear and therefore stats that bring them closer in line to fair and balanced play that actual competitive mindsets welcome with open arms. Not a rich get richer system that is generally in place on the live client (not the arena tournament server).

INB4 gear doesnt matter, skill matters. Irrelevant, a marginal difference is still a difference that removes the absolute even ground that all competitive activities are based around in the grand scheme of things.

Early cata "glads" complained to great lengths about the fact that RBGS allowed players access to t2 weapons, yet true competitive "spirit" if you will would have an individual embrace an approach like that, to allow them the chance to demonstrate there ability as a player vs the statistical advantage no matter how large or small they have access to exclusively.

It is a breeding ground for elitism and negative attitude being an internet / non personal game. An attitude that in all honesty it hardly warrants when looking at the actual game and how it plays.

There is no spirit when all that matters is the acquisition of better loot and the ego to pad it. When there is an infinite struggle of actual "balance" with out damaging the "other half" of the actual "game" that arena exists within.

The Fighting game community
The RTS community
are all prime examples of pure, unadulterated competitive gaming without the BS

I agree with all of this.

The current state of the season and the terrible community has pretty much made me throw in the towel for arenas.

I have much more fun with other competitive games that don't include this gearing BS and the constant elitism from people who seem to forget they're playing a video game.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
Mostly only higher rated people will play for 'fun' or rating. Personally I'll play with anyone, but if were constantly loosing I'm probably not going to be going no to long just because to me, loosing isn't fun. The best thing I can tell you is find other players you enjoy playing with. I played with one rouge this season to about 1950 in 3s (Spriest-Rouge-Rdruid) was probably the hardest 1950 I've ever had LOL, rouges state isn't all that amazing right now, but i had fun doing it. Just give it time eventually you'll find steady partners, its hard but once you do its alot of fun! =)
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin

Imagine if you bought your new set of gear then lost a game. Would your gear suddenly fall off because you no longer met the rating requirements? lmfao

In BC you needed to reach a certain rating to be able to buy all the equipment.
Edited by Avotech on 11/18/2012 4:21 PM PST
Reply Quote

not sure if trolling
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
no idea
Reply Quote
16 Tauren Shaman
You wintrade, exploit and DDOS your way to the top and then you enjoy all the neckbeards with cheeto dust encrusted into their chest hair worshipping you as some sort of god until you get called out, become the laughing stock of the community and then somebody else does the same thing while you desperately attempt to preserve your e-honor.
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
JUST GO IN /2 AND SAY - 2.1k ROGUE LF ARENA PARTNER. PARTNER WITH 2200+ PERSON. TELL THEM U GAVE UR ACCOUNT AWAY. QUEUE UP WITH THEM, CUZ THEY WILL WANNA DO ARENA MORE THAN ONCE A WEEK. BUT

JK ULL SUCK AND BE LYING, and JK THEY WILL SUCK AND BE LYING TOO, AND LOLZ UR 1400S.
Reply Quote
90 Human Rogue
11/18/2012 03:14 PMPosted by Minstrel

Ignorance must be nice,, it didnt start this way; it ended this way due to PVE heros crying about "wellfair epics ruining PVE" So they implimented the rating due to that only.

All it did was add a gear gap for entery lvl players and thus the whole "epeen" crap-fest started.

11/18/2012 04:08 PMPosted by Schwert

Got ruined by Activision, now we have FPS games with fkn bull!@#$ lvl up and achievments.
Edited by Harland on 11/19/2012 5:14 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
11/19/2012 05:08 PMPosted by Harland
Got ruined by Activision, now we have FPS games with fkn bull!@#$ lvl up and achievments.

LOL ya.. hence the (for the most part)
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]