dps help

90 Troll Druid
I reforged and gemed to get the 5273 haste break point, was first time testing it went into Blade Lord Ta'yak. I have my CDs macroed (from sticky) start fight like I should watch my dots and # of cast in and out of eclipse yet was still only doing about 53-56k dps.

I dont have logs for fights sadly. And it did seem every pull I had to Brez someone (not a big thing but still takes time away form dpsing)

It seemed to me that before (when I was straight crit, not worrying about haste break point) I was doing more dps.

So my question is: Am I doing something wrong with the fight itself? Do i need to wait to get more gear to look for haste break point to keep up my crit?

I have since gone back to crit (and am currently on my way back to Blade Lord and test my dps again.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
This is a weird encounter for Balance. You really need to pay attention to timers on this encounter. For example, using Starfall with an Unseen Strike occurring in ~5 seconds. In the opener, the timing is such that I'm clipping my CA short by a couple seconds to ensure I have a fresh set of fully buffed DOTs rolling of the boss just before Unseen Strike.

But really, watch the timers.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
okay I was just kinda upset that I was replaced cause mage and ele shaman were beating me in dps.

I also read the sticky and seen many druids going for haste break point but I have noticed Cy that you do not. I know its all about timing on boomkins but I dont see where 1 extra dot tick (2 for both) would out weigh the SS procs and the 2 additional ticks from hard cast crits.

I also know that I need to practice more learning the timing and making sure I dont clip if you happen to have any tips I would love to hear them.

thank you for the response also big fan Cy!
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
okay I was just kinda upset that I was replaced cause mage and ele shaman were beating me in dps.

I also read the sticky and seen many druids going for haste break point but I have noticed Cy that you do not. I know its all about timing on boomkins but I dont see where 1 extra dot tick (2 for both) would out weigh the SS procs and the 2 additional ticks from hard cast crits.

I also know that I need to practice more learning the timing and making sure I dont clip if you happen to have any tips I would love to hear them.

thank you for the response also big fan Cy!

I'll run the breakpoint once there's a legitimate single-target fight we are working hard to kill. However, I'll have the 4pc by then (hopefully).

My Solar Eclipse typically has 2 SS casts, with 3 targets (most fights), I'm spamming SS and DOTs for the most part.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
11/19/2012 07:23 AMPosted by Skyotter
For the 3rd boss I would say haste is better, if your going to kite the boss. Which I suggest to do its pretty easy for us to kite. I say this because while your kiting, your casting DoT's on the boss and legs, more tics= higher chance for SS proc while kiting. Possibililty for 8 DoTs to tic on the boss at one time.

And I'm going to completely disagree. Crit is just makes Haste look bad for this encounter.

Why is Haste meaningless for kiting?:
A: The breakpoint gives for an extra DOT tick, but you don't benefit from these extra DOTs if you're spamming Moonfire or Sunfire on the boss. You also are not hardcasting due to pheromone trail.

So if I'm just spamming Moonfire/Sunfire, will my DOTs keep ticking though I'm reapplying it?:
A: Yes, your DOTs will keep ticking even though you're refreshing them constantly.

I'm very comfortable on Garalon -> I tailored a UI specifically for this encounter and it's working amazingly. I'm typically #1 or #2 on damage for the Caster/Ranged DPS, and this is after I'm done kiting and with these other DPS still in line for pheromones.

If you're not good at Multi-DOTing, you will not excel on this encounter. If you can really get all Legs DOT'd and rolling some SS's for the majority of the opening sequence, you're going to sit on the top of the meters (under Rogues and Warriors, for the most part). Given the Enhancement Shaman in our group wasn't botching his opener, both Moonkins are absolutely destroying the meters in the opener. After 30sec we're sitting on 190k-250k, the next Ranged DPS is 150k (mage)
Edited by Cyous on 11/19/2012 11:26 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
11/19/2012 11:25 AMPosted by Cyous
I'm very comfortable on Garalon -> I tailored a UI specifically for this encounter and it's working amazingly.

Care to elaborate?

Glad we killed him, but I'm still struggling to do decent DPS with the crit build. I didn't change my gems, though, so fully reforged to crit I was only at 25% raid buffed. I played around with wowreforge and saw that I could get to something like 7.5k rating if I changed all my gems and did a full crit reforge.

Obvious room for improvement is my dot uptimes. I'm having trouble deciding when I get to the end of an eclipse, whether to refresh dots with half or more duration left, or whether to power through. Sometimes dots would fall off between eclipses and stuff.

Do you:
-always apply both dots to every leg?
-apply both dots to every leg during Inc/NV but before CA?

How do you deal with balancing dot application v running out of inc/nv while CA is up? I find I was spending too much time in lunar during inc.

I'm also running with HotW for the static damage boost, per suggestions I read on the EJ forums.

As for this
11/19/2012 07:23 AMPosted by Skyotter
For the 3rd boss I would say haste is better, if your going to kite the boss.

What Cyous this. This is the exact opposite of when you want haste.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
11/19/2012 01:58 PMPosted by Eluial
Glad we killed him, but I'm still struggling to do decent DPS with the crit build. I didn't change my gems, though, so fully reforged to crit I was only at 25% raid buffed. I played around with wowreforge and saw that I could get to something like 7.5k rating if I changed all my gems and did a full crit reforge.

If you're going to run Crit, you may as well go all out. Crit just keeps getting better and better.

Obvious room for improvement is my dot uptimes. I'm having trouble deciding when I get to the end of an eclipse, whether to refresh dots with half or more duration left, or whether to power through. Sometimes dots would fall off between eclipses and stuff.

You're expecting those DOTs to carry you to Lunar/Solar Eclipse. SS procs are stupidly important. You may opt to refresh before leaving Eclipse, apply new Eclipsed DOTs, Apply non-Eclipsed DOTs when they're fading, then refresh Eclipsed DOTs before pushing the next Eclipse.

Do you:
-always apply both dots to every leg?
-apply both dots to every leg during Inc/NV but before CA?

Eclipsed DOT has priority, and only if I'm stalling for Incarnation. With only the body and one leg, I'm applying both using the method described above.

I pop CA a bit early, once both Starfall's are used and when my trinkets/pre-pot/procs are lined up for maximum Spell Power, then I'm applying these super-DOTs to the Body and two legs (one leg is the target leg I'm standing in). I'm pumping ~1mil SS crits into the target leg. It's very different on Heroic though (I'm holding CA about 3-4sec longer to line up with Crush so I'll be in Solar Eclipse just as Crush stuns the raid).

How do you deal with balancing dot application v running out of inc/nv while CA is up? I find I was spending too much time in lunar during inc.

Only use your Eclipsed DOT and hardcast, the CA that follows will make the Sunfire (if any) wasted GCDs. Remember, it's okay to use CA a little early; try to time it after Crush.

Just a side-note for this encounter. If you don't have enough time to cast Wrath/Starfire before a Crush lands (because you're not in Eclipse) -> Astral Communion. It's pushed me into Eclipse, at the last second, many times.
Edited by Cyous on 11/20/2012 12:12 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]