Does focus get any better?

31 Night Elf Hunter
I've really wanted to level a hunter since i started wow, but every time i level one i get really put off by having to use steady shot so much.
I desperately want to play a hunter because i loovee the pets, but i've leveled probably 6 hunters up to around 30, and i'm still using steady shot every 2-3 shots once i'm past the initial shots from the fight. Does that get better at later levels? (or i guess the better question to ask would be, does managing your focus get better at later levels?)
(( I know I could find this out myself by continuing to level, but I rarely have time to play and i just want to be able to use it all to the maximum))
Reply Quote
88 Blood Elf Hunter
eventually, with certain talents and passive abilities, it does get better. but steady/cobra shot will ALWAYS be used. the passives/talents just dont regenerate enough focus to keep us going.
Reply Quote
90 Human Hunter
At cap, I actually find myself rarely using SS or CS.. Thrill of the Hunt procs very often, which works well with BM and Surv Lock N Load procs
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Shaman
Hunters were so much better in WotLK with mana, focus sucks. I don't understand why they fixed what wasn't broken.
Reply Quote
90 Human Hunter
Having mana was limiting.. It could make or break some situations PvE and PvP.

Focus management is very easy now, though. Hunters are better off with focus
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
I love focus. It is a mechanic that takes some getting used to, but I like it a lot more than mana for the hunter.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Hunter
I don't mind hacking focus, but needing to use steady/cobra shot to regenerate it is one of the most detrimental things to hunters in PvP. Should work more like energy, in my opinion. Though this would never happen as Bliz wants to keep all classes 'unique'.

My suggestion to the OP is spec into Thrill of the Hunt once your hunter is high enough. It makes a world of difference.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Hunter
It wasn't so bad with the 2 piece back at the end of cata - your steady / CS gave double focus.

Its what it is I guess, each class has some kinda combo / enegery building gimmick and steady / CS is it for hunters. It gets a bit better with haste, but there is one thing I absolutely hate with MOP:

You build up your focus and use your focus dump - ES or whatever, and it does about half the damage or your aracane shot. WTF blizz... Yea you made white dmg do more, but when your watching your screen its about as exciting as watching soup cook.

If I could change one thing, it would be to reduce white dmg like in cata and make the big focus dump moves do a higher pecentage of your damage.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Hunter
11/17/2012 07:53 PMPosted by Shamcakes
Hunters were so much better in WotLK with mana, focus sucks. I don't understand why they fixed what wasn't broken.

No it wasn't except in a few parts of the game. For 1, without having the Judgement of Wisdom, you were oom in 40 seconds and stuck doing half damage for 40 seconds to regen it.
2, if you had judgement of Wisdom then mana would be pointless as we had infinite mana with it.

Mana did have some high points but focus is far far better for us then mana is.

11/18/2012 05:53 AMPosted by Straker
It wasn't so bad with the 2 piece back at the end of cata - your steady / CS gave double focus.

Well the thing is though they increased the focus gain from CS/Steady for Mists so that it was closed to the double focus back from the 2pc.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
No it wasn't except in a few parts of the game. For 1, without having the Judgement of Wisdom, you were oom in 40 seconds and stuck doing half damage for 40 seconds to regen it.
2, if you had judgement of Wisdom then mana would be pointless as we had infinite mana with it.

Mana would be fine, if you went into a raid without replenishment that was your own fault. Plus hunters could choose to pick up efficiency I believe but of course those points weren't being used to max dps if you went that route.
Reply Quote
Here are my tips to keep focus.

Blowing focus from 100-0 then having to Steady Shot back up does less damage then carefully planning and spacing your cool-downs.

How often are you between 0-50? Most of the time I'd bet. Well guess what? Your damage is the same if you use the 50-100 zone! What's the difference? Once you get a good rotation going, and you NEED to get a kill fast or need to throw out a Serpent Sting, Tranqulizing Shot, Widows Venom, etc.. you have the focus to do so. If you need to land a kill fast you have 50 more focus to pump into them.

Also, Thrill of the Hunt is great to keep focus maintained and DPS up and the Hunter set-bonus will make you life easier.

I usually open with Aimed Shot and Chimera Show back-to-back
Steady Shot x2
Arcane Shot x2
Steady Shot x2
Chimera Shot x2
Repeat
And use my free Aimed Shot and Arcane Shot when available

If my focus is very low I use my normal rotation but use my free Arcane Shots when I can INSTEAD of the focus costing ones to get focus up fast.

I'm not that good DPS-wise so maybe this is not optimal but I PvP a lot and know how to keep focus because nothing is worse then spending all my focus bursting a warrior down and then have him Second Wind back to 35% when my focus is dead.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
Yes it does, later on you get moves like Thrill of the Hunt and Dire Beast which are great for maintaining constant focus.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]