Best tanking trade skill with Enchanting?

90 Troll Death Knight
Hi all,

I'm picking up enchanting to help out some friends, and am a bit lost as to what second trade skill I should pick up. Any suggestions or tanking guides you could point me to would be greatly appreciated.

At first guess I would imagine JC or BS, but I don't have a mining alt. If I picked one of those two, I figured would level those to max with mining, drop mining, and use the items I made for disenchants. I guess my fear is that I'll end up spending a ton on raw materials, which would counter the profits I'd make with enchanting. What do you think?

On a side note, I do have alchemy and herbalism on an alt, so I could more easily pick up inscription, but that tradeskill seems to have more caster perks (staves and fans).

Thanks a ton!
Edited by Fishbones on 11/18/2012 9:42 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Warrior
JC is dirt cheap to level. Dont waste time mining
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I'm gonna take a stab and point at the lack of gem sockets on ilevel463 gear, but for whatever reason, gems are just a good bit cheaper at this point of the expansion than they have been in the past (and JC less lucrative as a profession).

Overall, professions just aren't that expensive to level this expansion as well. The first week (so, when prices on everything was severely inflated compared to now) I managed to level BS and JC on this guy plus Enchanting and Inscription on another guy all to max, plus Alchemy on a pair of alts and JC and Tailoring on another alt all into the 560-575 range for a net cost of maybe 7k gold for everything. Obviously the Enchanting was easy because I'd make stuff with BS and Tailoring, the Enchanter would then DE it and make enchants which I'd then sell on the AH (hence the 7k "net" cost). But still, that was when mats were *expensive* and I did it all with zero gathering. I can only imagine stuff is a lot cheaper now.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
SWC
I went with mining not because it's amazing but I can field a lot of metals to level my BS/JC alt and supply my xmute alch with enough materials to not have to spend any gold on them.

If you really wanted to min/max I'd go with Blacksmithing, they get double the perk everyone else gets if you use secondary stat gems.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
11/19/2012 08:41 AMPosted by Tuesdays
If you really wanted to min/max I'd go with Blacksmithing, they get double the perk everyone else gets if you use secondary stat gems.

Yes, having two professions DOES give you double the perk of having one.

Take Inscription/Enchanting:

You get a shoulder enchant that gives you 320 more than normal, and you get two rings for 160 each. Total gain: 640.

Jewelcrafting/Blacksmith:

You have two extra gem slots, which you fill with two serpent's eyes. Each gives you 320. Total gain: 640.

640 = 640.

The thing is, if you use secondary stat gems, those are 480 each, which gives you a total of 960.

960 does not = 2 X 640.

Let's say you put straight yellows in those slots and yellow serpent's eyes in normal slots you'd put yellows in. That's 640 in the BS slots, and 480-320=160 each, for 320... oh hey that's also 960.

It's more, but it's hardly double.

The value of blacksmithing and JC is just the fact they're the only ways to get secondary stats -at all-, really. Tho if you're an agility tank you're better off not bothering, and going for LW instead, because LW gives more primary stats as a bonus.
Edited by Kickgruntler on 11/19/2012 9:32 AM PST
Reply Quote
For gold, I would pair enchanting with jewelcrafting. Even though it is slow now, as the expansion continues we should see the demand for gems increase.

As for best tanking stats, I would have to go with Blacksmithing. The two gem sockets allow you to stack upto 640 of a secondary stat (I believe mastery for Blood DKs), while most crafting professions will limit you to 320 strength or 480 stamina. Flexibility trumps all.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
If you raid, Alchemy. Same bonus as the other professions (when flasked) and flasks last twice as long.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warrior
Skinning sucks. I'm going to abandon it and do BS.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]