A sincere plea (grant our heart's solace)

90 Human Priest
Hello my fellow priests, I am Variel, a former hard-core player, turned casual by the toils of real life. I've spent my WoW experience as mostly Shadow, but have dabbled with Discipline in the past. I remember fondly dishing out some serious burst damage during The Burning Crusade as a hybrid Disc spec, and loving every second of it. When I saw the Atonement talent appear in Cataclysm, I was absolutely thrilled at the idea of a healing spec that could dish out some damage, but still maintain in its core function. Alas, at the time it was somewhat lack luster, so I stayed the course as a disciple of the Shadow.

Now, with the Mists of Pandaria expansion, we've seen a complete overhaul of the priest class talents and abilities. Atonement survived the changes and exists as a very functional aspect of Discipline, much to my delight. However, I've noticed that the Atonement play style is VERY mana-intensive, to the point that a great deal of restraint is needed to avoid crippling our healing reserves. This lead me to investigate ways to alleviate this situation, and I found hope in the same-tier talents of Mindbender and Power Word: Solace.

My research shows me the community almost unanimously prefers Mindbender, with it's minute cool down and decent damage/mana output. My experience with it is that the mana return doesn't really seem to compensate for continued usage of the Atonement mechanic. I then went to experiment with the other talent, Power Word: Solace. I'd read a lot about how the talent was changed during the beta, and my heart sank somewhat as I saw what it had been, and had ultimately become.

If Discipline is supposed to have the ability to dish out moderate damage while still supplying healing support, it is Power Word: Solace that I would see as most fitting for supporting that play style. Unfortunately at present it suffers from some major drawbacks.

1) The damage component of the ability is low for the fact that the ability does not interact with Atonement. On it's face, PW: Solace deals as much damage as an Evangelism-free Smite.

2) The mana return is sub par for an ability that has no healing power, yet is available to the two healing specializations for Priests. PW: Solace has a short cast, but restores a paltry 2,300 mana per cast (for me), during which time the priest is generating no healing effect.

My solution to the weakness of this potentially valuable ability, would be to have PW: Solace benefit from, but not apply, Evangelism. If the mana return and damage scaled with Evangelism, then this ability would synergize beautifully with Discipline's mechanics. It is my personal feeling that PW: Solace's damage should be equal to or greater than Smite on the grounds that it has a zero healing output via Atonement.

Another potential way of improving this ability would to have the damage of PW: Solace be affected by Evangelism, but not the mana return, and instead have each successful cast of PW: Solace reduce the cool down of Shadowfiend by a small amount, thus increasing that powerful mana replenishment tool's accessibility throughout the course of an encounter.

I hope my fellow priests will join me in lobbying for the continued development of the Atonement play style. While I recognize it is not the right style for every situation, I feel that increasing its viability would increase the pool of potential healers in the game by giving seasoned damage dealers a familiar role to work with as they practice healing.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Priest
While I agree that Solace needs to be made more viable I think the primary reason that you may have mana issues is because of your severe lack of spirit on your current gear. Your primary source of mana regeneration is rapture and that is tied into the amount of spirit that you have. You currently have less spirit than I had at 85, that would be your biggest problem.

You will find as you gear up that your mana regen issues will fade away rather quickly. If you are syncing mindbender with Hymn of Hope you should be able to get a good amount of mana back. Combined with the 1m cooldown on mindbender and the boosted rapture return from the hotfix a few weeks back and you should be good.

With that said having Solace add stacks of Evangelism would make it a lot less clunky to work with that's for sure.
Edited by Tiesha on 11/19/2012 3:03 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Priest
Atonement has never fit disc better.
Smite is well above renew and greater heal in terms of HPM, and holy fire 50% more effective HPM than heal, up there with penance in terms of efficiency.

Solace is a waste of casting time. Take mind bender and profit.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
It sounds to me like you are still trying to play like a ranged dps instead of a healer. As I understand it Discipline DPS is intended to be incidental, not 'moderate damage'. Sure on progression having a Disc priest and Blood DK can mean that the fight where you wipe at 5% is a kill which is fantastic. However, if the DK isn't doing everything they can to keep themselves alive and position the boss correctly, and if the Discipline priest isn't doing everything they can to keep the raid alive then you would never get to that 5% where the added DPS would have an impact.

I do in general agree with the notion of integrating spells that feel separate, as I think synergy between spells adds interesting complexity and a certain learning curve and skill component to any spec, which is fun as it allows to player to progress and improve their abilities. I think the talent Power Word: Solace / Shadow Word: Insanity need to be overhauled and the spells entirely scrapped. That talent should be a passive bonus or a buff/cooldown type spell. When Mists was in Beta I was thinking that Inner Focus would be a perfect candidate for a cross spec spell (as it had been in the past in Wrath), and would be the ideal fit in this tier.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
I understand your liking of Mindbender and PW: Solace but in my experience with Attonement and Tank healing as disc (From Darkness, Comes Light) has proven to be better of that teir. Simply because especially with your attonement spec you have a 15% chance to proc a free Flash of Light from you Smite. Also there are theory crafts that support that Regular Shadowfiend returns the same amount of mana at 90 that Mindbender does. So to recap you are still getting the same amount of mana return on your procs and you are also getting FREE flash of light procs with just about every spell you will be casting, minus PoH.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
The main problem with this idea that for about 50% or more of the healing priest community right now, both of those changes will not benefit those people at all, with those people being holy priests (who do not and really should not be dpsing, other than pw:sol), and the disc priests that don't like to A/AA heal (which right now, with the aforementioned mana problems, is quite a lot).

In general, PW:Solace just need a buff. I have no idea what, but it would probably have to benefit both specs, if not SW:I as well.

More mana return? Not sure, that's how it got so bad now, along with the Belf racial. Both nerfed into the ground.
Tied in healing component too? I think it could work, but perhaps to only heal a focused target? The same part of that can be added to SWI (does healing equal to damage done, to focus)

Just what I seem to be seeing all over the forums, and my 2c worth.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Well the Strategy that I am basing my opinion on is if you are designated to focus more on tank healing than on rolling raid mitigation with DA and SS
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Priest
FDCL is clearly the better choice for tank healing.
If for no other reason than you don't need extra mana if you're only healing one target, and the throughput bonus is moderate.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
Smite is well above renew and greater heal in terms of HPM, and holy fire 50% more effective HPM than heal, up there with penance in terms of efficiency.

This man gets it.

Once you get in the 8k spirit range your mana will be fine.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Attonement is a timefiller. Nothing more. I have High doubts that blizzard will allow Attonement to become the way of the disc priest. Of course this is just my opinion
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
Hmmm 8k spirit range and mana improves you say? Well, I have something to look forward to as I delve into the exciting world of 5mans! Honestly I had been basing my observations largely on research I'd done on the net and my own experience playing Disc doing dailies and playing with a couple of others. Ideally I'd just feel more comfortable relying on Atonement if I could constantly be doing something, but if getting more spirit is the answer then I suppose I can be at least partially satisfied.

That said, I do feel that PW: Solace and SW: Insanity do need SEVERE lookings over!
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
11/19/2012 04:37 PMPosted by Variel
Hmmm 8k spirit range and mana improves you say?

Very much so. The only places I've had issues currently (8k spirit, and a spirit flask) is Gara'jal with spam healing. I got picked to go into the spirit world once in almost each attempt ._.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
It will improve drastically. Get mindbender and move on. Solace is a waste of time.

11/19/2012 04:30 PMPosted by Rashikia
Attonement is a timefiller. Nothing more. I have High doubts that blizzard will allow Attonement to become the way of the disc priest. Of course this is just my opinion

Atonement is much more than a timefiller.

Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]