Moonkin endangered species

100 Night Elf Druid
I went back to healing. Stopped doing dailies a couple weeks ago too.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Gear dependent spec doing gear crunched challenge modes equals awesome.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
I've noticed this too. About 80% of druids I see in random battlegrounds are resto, 15% are feral, and maybe 1 in 20 is moonkin. About half of shaman and paladins I see are heal spec, and maybe 1 in 4 priests are healers. Really don't see too many monks of any spec in level 90 random battlegrounds.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Half my guild vanished when MoP hit and the other half was incorporated by another guild in order to keep raiding. Their raiding times end at 2 am for me - so I can't make it.

Since I'm without a raid, I lack the interest in reforging, getting the costly enchants and gemming my gear. So even if you do see my on your LFD or LFR, I won't do great DPS
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
GOBBLE GOBBLE GOBBLE GOBBLE GOBBLE GOBBLE
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
I agree with the poster on the typhoon issue -- that should've remained a balance-only spell. As someone who runs an rbg team... yeah. If I wasn't one, I wouldn't have one in my group.
Reply Quote
66 Goblin Death Knight
One of the hardest specs to level/solo/grind (No spec is 'hard' but most specs are stupidly easy and balance requires you to be at least conscious), so they won't be flooding LFR since thats mostly people's alts and balance isn't a class many people will be choosing as an alt right now.

Not sure about bg's specifically, but I assume resto and Feral are both better bg'ing specs, so no real reason to go balance?

PVE is pretty abysmal right now. Worst class bar none for Sims. Well below average for sitting boss dps. Nearly the worst stationary Long-term aoe (Wind Lord) Completely abysmal for high movement primarily single target (Sha, A good chunk of this tier). Passible to decent on moderate lifespan spread out targets (Amber, Garalon).

So now, suppose your guild wants you to level an alt... you can level a balance druid and do a ton of little background stuff no one notices to help your raid out while spending a large portion of your time doing everything you can think of to eek every tiny bit of dps out of a ludicrously underperforming spec... or you can level a mage or lock and be top dps by 20% on almost every fight by rolling your face on the keyboard.

Which do you think is the more popular choice?
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
One of the hardest specs to level/solo/grind (No spec is 'hard' but most specs are stupidly easy and balance requires you to be at least conscious), so they won't be flooding LFR since thats mostly people's alts and balance isn't a class many people will be choosing as an alt right now.

Not sure about bg's specifically, but I assume resto and Feral are both better bg'ing specs, so no real reason to go balance?

PVE is pretty abysmal right now. Worst class bar none for Sims. Well below average for sitting boss dps. Nearly the worst stationary Long-term aoe (Wind Lord) Completely abysmal for high movement primarily single target (Sha, A good chunk of this tier). Passible to decent on moderate lifespan spread out targets (Amber, Garalon).

So now, suppose your guild wants you to level an alt... you can level a balance druid and do a ton of little background stuff no one notices to help your raid out while spending a large portion of your time doing everything you can think of to eek every tiny bit of dps out of a ludicrously underperforming spec... or you can level a mage or lock and be top dps by 20% on almost every fight by rolling your face on the keyboard.

Which do you think is the more popular choice?

There's a reason they're called "simulations." They're not representative of any fight where human reaction time is a factor (aka all of them). Balance isn't a "ludicrously underperforming" spec and is still better than Feral for BGs. The spec requires a certain degree of skill and attention to pull good numbers in PvE, but once you have it down you can be middle of the pack on most movement fights and top 3 on any prolonged fight with multiple targets. With all that said, I think Boomkin still suffers slightly from a hybrid tax.
Reply Quote
100 Troll Shaman
I have a blast on my boomy in random bgs. I can kite most people all day, have a ton of cc, and can spread out hots and dots on everything. The single target damage kinda sucks though, and with what little arena I've done so far this xpac you really need somebody who can make up for the lack of single target damage or you are screwed.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
I have to say that the folks who kept saying we're gear dependent are/were REALLY right. i got my conquest weapon a week or two ago and _man_ have daillies gotten easier.
Reply Quote
77 Pandaren Monk
I like leveling all the classes and can say I almost feel embarrassed by how hard it is to level with my moonkin in Mists. I have to actually heal myself between pulls like this is vanilla. I've leveled for like 3 hours and already want to give up on druid. Moonkin, what happened to you; you used to be so powerful and fun?
Edited by Statrunner on 11/25/2012 2:19 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
I agree. It's tough out there for a moonkin leveling. I have to be really careful to pull one and no more than two mobs at a time. I can make it with three but ill be pretty oom from healing myself and thankfully from herbalism I have 2 extra hots I apply to myself when things get scary.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
11/22/2012 10:13 AMPosted by Bootzilla

You obviously don't go back to where Moonkins were before Cata, before the term Boomkin became something of an ironic joke.

[quote]1v1 is still hit or miss, but we have the tools to do i

1v1 Moonkins can't take anyone with the same level of gear and competence. The only answer to 1v1 is try to run away.

t. It's all a matter of adaptation and correct cooldown usage against certain classes - Rogues and Mages specifically. They can be beaten, it's just hard as hell.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
You'll find me at the top of the meters in lfr. Might be hard to find since you're looking for your own name way at the bottom.

(Obligatory "I'm being ironic" disclaimer. Also obligatory "not hard to top the charts in lfr" disclaimer. Unobligatory "I'm bored at the airport" disclaimer.)

Funny how I check the charts after every game, and I've done a TON of games, and its extremely rare for me to see a Moonkin anywhere near top spot. Heck, even in the top ten in the larger BGs. A moonkin as number one? I can't recall ever seeing it, actually. I'm sure it's happened on occasion. I've done it once or twice in the distant past, but since Blizzard keeps nerfing us (they just nerfed healing and solar beam) that's become just about impossible.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
11/22/2012 11:16 AMPosted by Hiezenburg
Had zero issues leveling. Boomkin is very viable in pvp, its just not easy like a dk,retpally,warrior,hunter. Hope I run into some of you in a random bg.

RBGS aren't PvP, they're PvE in a different setting.

Everyone ALWAYS uses the exact same start and comp, this season worse than ever (even last garbage !@# season)... God I hate the fast that RBGs give T2 gear.

In other news, yeah Moonkins are pretty much in a terrible $%^ spot right now. We're probably better than we ever have been in PvP but that's not saying much because we're so behind literally every other caster spec (hell DEMO is 100x better than moonkin atm).

Can't can't touch a mage's burst on control, we can't touch an aff lock's sustained, we can't touch a demo or destro lock's burst. That's just kinda how it goes, underdogs for life... or reroll feral and faceroll -*!@ into the ground.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
11/25/2012 07:45 AMPosted by Bomchet
I have to say that the folks who kept saying we're gear dependent are/were REALLY right.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Had zero issues leveling. Boomkin is very viable in pvp, its just not easy like a dk,retpally,warrior,hunter. Hope I run into some of you in a random bg.

RBGS aren't PvP, they're PvE in a different setting.

Everyone ALWAYS uses the exact same start and comp, this season worse than ever (even last garbage !@# season)... God I hate the fast that RBGs give T2 gear.

In other news, yeah Moonkins are pretty much in a terrible $%^ spot right now. We're probably better than we ever have been in PvP but that's not saying much because we're so behind literally every other caster spec (hell DEMO is 100x better than moonkin atm).

Can't can't touch a mage's burst on control, we can't touch an aff lock's sustained, we can't touch a demo or destro lock's burst. That's just kinda how it goes, underdogs for life... or reroll feral and faceroll -*!@ into the ground.

You trolling or serious?

For starters, nobody wants a feral in their RBG. Everyone wants a resto. Those who are smart would gladly take a boom over their 2nd mage or lock, but many don't realize how good boomy is in RBG. My druid is in half malev gear+T1 for feral set and can't do anywhere near the damage I will in full dreadfull+T1 as Boom.(even without T1 yet I'm doing more as boom)

You have amazing dot cleave+triple starfall=amazing aoe pressure on enemy healers.(Way more than DK cleave if incarnation is up) I've only done a couple low mmr RBGs as boom but so far LOVING it. Great CC and dmg, you tend to get focused hard the second you pop incarnation but you have the means to get away from melee fairly well. In regular bg's, even without my T1 I top nearly every one in dmg just by spreading dots while in lunar, then get nonstop instant starsurge procs=win.

**But yeah to answer the OP, resto is so good it's hard to justify going boom if you're going for overall rating or glad. Boomkins are very good in RBGs, and very fun :D
Edited by Diamondtiara on 12/10/2012 8:39 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Warrior
I levelled 5 classes to max, and I'm in the process of levelling 4 more toons. Boomkin is the lousiest class to level. I can see why there's not that many of them at max level.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]