Policy that needs to be addressed

90 Pandaren Monk
I was told by an in-game GM to address my concerns to developers via the bug forum, as my particular issue was a bug. However, there is a sticky in the bug forum that says temporary bans will be given for voicing opinions in their forum, so here I am.

So my initial issue was a bug in the Learning the Ropes quest. This is the first quest you get from a pet battle trainer, I got it from the trainer in Stormwind. The quest is to win one pet battle, I have won over 25 pet battles, logged out and abandoned and won battles and nothing has worked. I sent a petition and got a response that it is a known bug the developers are aware of. I was surprised they didn't just credit me with the quest so I could continue on with the pet battle chain. I sent a follow-up ticket to a GM, which did get addressed quickly, and they told me it was the developers policy not to give credit for bugged quests. I asked why this policy exists, as it has been done for me in other games. They did not know why it existed and once again told me to voice my concern to the developers.

My question to the developers is why I, a paying customer, should be penalized and unable enjoy new pet battle content on my weekend? Why does the policy of being unable to give quest credit for known bugs in quest chains exist?

I realize my $15 a month is not consequential to Blizzard and with big companies comes an apathetic attitude. I recently returned to the game and while I find WoW one of the best MMO's in terms of gameplay the customer service aspect is probably the worst. I'm sure right now a developer's attitude reading this is good riddance we don't need you. Please address my issue and look at me as not just a cog in the wheel but as a human being. It's not the matter to which this infinitesimally small issue affects my life. It's the apathetic attitude to which I am treated by your company that matters.
Reply Quote
They fix what they want to fix...I wish they never fix the worgen pet bug. Why did they have to fix that one? That was one of the one bugs no one wanted fixed after all.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
I asked the in-game GM and they directed me to the Blizzard forums.. They also said customer service can do nothing because it's the developers policy. I can't post in their forums because they have a warning complainants in their forum will be banned. You can see the fundamental breakdown here of a good communication channel between the customer and policy makers here..
Reply Quote
MVP - World of Warcraft
90 Gnome Warrior
11/24/2012 03:25 PMPosted by Loans
Probably be even more effective if you wrote an email or CALLED customer service and said this. Most bugs are bugs until they are fixed (there are bugs in cata quests that have been there since cata beta).

That's not the issue.

The issue is that GMs do not have the ability to give credit for a bugged quest that involves an achievement. And nearly everything involves an achievement these days.

This needs a policy change. Calling CS won't do anything--the only numbers we have are for billing and tech support. Neither department can change policy.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
11/24/2012 03:29 PMPosted by Arhagon
They fix what they want to fix...I wish they never fix the worgen pet bug. Why did they have to fix that one? That was one of the one bugs no one wanted fixed after all.

Exactly my point, why do they drive their policy decisions and not the consumers? I mean I have a good guess, because customers don't have enough influence.
Reply Quote
61 Blood Elf Death Knight
IDK what to say other then quests are completely optional, like the entire game. I don't find it apathetic that they didn't give you credit for it. It's their business. If it were me, I'd abandoned the quest a long time ago and never worry about it.
Reply Quote
40 Troll Druid
If it is a 'known bug' then they should give credit. If it wasn't a known bug I'd say you'd have to wait.. But at this point they know there is an error in the programming. It shouldn't stall you from being able to progress.
Reply Quote
Community Manager
11/24/2012 03:21 PMPosted by Maliant
So my initial issue was a bug in the Learning the Ropes quest. This is the first quest you get from a pet battle trainer, I got it from the trainer in Stormwind.

Issues with the beginner Pet Battles quests are being thoroughly investigated and addressed either through hotfixes or with upcoming patches. The process for fixing a bug can take some time, but from what I can see, our teams are on top of getting these resolved as quickly as possible.

Why does the policy of being unable to give quest credit for known bugs in quest chains exist?

It's not as simple as flipping a switch. These types of changes to characters are rather complex and since this particular quest needs to be addressed for more than one player, we would rather fix it so everyone can benefit from it being bug-free.

11/24/2012 03:31 PMPosted by Maliant
Exactly my point, why do they drive their policy decisions and not the consumers? I mean I have a good guess, because customers don't have enough influence.

Let's not lose sight of the purpose of these forums. Here is where you find hundreds of thousands of ideas and suggestions, many of which we absolutely take to heart and discuss with developers. There have been countless changes to the game based upon player feedback and having this venue as a melting pot of ideas has been invaluable.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk

[quote="71989836048"]
Why does the policy of being unable to give quest credit for known bugs in quest chains exist?
It's not as simple as flipping a switch. These types of changes to characters are rather complex and since this particular quest needs to be addressed for more than one player, we would rather fix it so everyone can benefit from it being bug-free.

That's also my concern, I have played other MMO's that have much smaller budgets than Blizzard does and they have the capability to give quest credit. I don't understand why it is so hard for you guys to do it.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
11/24/2012 03:31 PMPosted by Maliant

It's all about the bugs themselves, if it's an easy fix or a game breaking issue (like the recent win trading) then they can get to it pretty quickly but a bug/glitch that is not easily discernible is not so easy just to hotfix and call it a day. WoW code at this stage in the game is extremely complicated and fixing one bug can cause more bugs to appear. It happens in every game, I will say that blizzard is way more dedicated to fixing them and getting results rather than band-aid fixes other companies do. Plus, fixing one bug that does nothing for you may have greatly helped out another player, there are 10 million of us now.

[quote]

That's also my concern, I have played other MMO's that have much smaller budgets than Blizzard does and they have the capability to give quest credit. I don't understand why it is so hard for you guys to do it.

He pretty much answered your question right there.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
I find it odd that they did not give you quest credit. I remember I was doing the final quest in Vash'ir and it kept bugging on me. I checked the forums and it was a known bug that didn't always affect the quest and I was unlucky for it to affect this one character (I had done this entire zone on several other characters with no problems before). I put in a ticket and tried abandoning the quest a few more times and re-trying to get it to complete to no avail. Anyway, a GM finally responded to my ticket and I explained the problem and he asked me to log off that character and on to another one on the same account. I did so and in a mere moments he contacted me on the other character and asked me to switch back to the one that was having issues with the quest. When I did, I saw that he had given me credit for the quest and I was then finished with the zone.

11/24/2012 03:57 PMPosted by Crithto

My point of that little story, is that if they could do that for me in mere moments, what suddenly changed that they can no longer do that. It also negates the blue's comments that those type of changes are complex. Couldn't be too complex if a GM was able to do it back in Cata and I don't see how it would be more complex to do that in MoP. Just saying ...
Reply Quote
22 Gnome Warrior
In the past, when a known bug blocked the advancement of a quest chain, I have been given credit for the quest via an in-game report. One that comes readily to mind is the "Pit of Scales" quest in Uldum (now fixed).

Pet Battles is a fun new feature of MoP. If the problem is not going to be hot fixed/patched SOON (tm), I would hope something would be done to credit people who are bugged so they can participate and advance the chain.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
Once upon a time, some scientists put a monkey in to a cage with a banana hanging down from the ceiling. The banana was electrified so every time the money grabbed it, he got shocked. Soon enough, he refused to take the bait. Then a second monkey was put in the cage with the first one.

The second monkey would try for the banana, but the first one would fight him to stop him from getting shocked. Often the first monkey would win but other times, the second one would win, grab the banana and get shocked. Eventually, he too stopped grabbing for the banana.

A third monkey was put into the cage and monkey #1 and #2 would beat up on #3 every time he tried for the banana and eventually he stopped trying for it even though he never got shocked.

Monkey #1 was removed and a monkey #4 was put in. #2 and #3 beat up on #4 until he got the message to not bother with the banana. At which time, #2 was removed and #5 was put in. So, #3 and #4 fought #5 from going for the banana, not knowing its electrified, just doing what they were taught from before.

Now you know how company policy was created...
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
So I guess giving out progress for Thunder King in order to complete the quest (which goes towards credit for an achievement) is okay, but pet battles are not.

Odd.
Reply Quote
89 Human Paladin
I was told by an in-game GM to address my concerns to developers via the bug forum, as my particular issue was a bug. However, there is a sticky in the bug forum that says temporary bans will be given for voicing opinions in their forum, so here I am.

Which should be understandable, since the Bug Report forums are for reporting bugs, not discussing them.

My question to the developers is why I, a paying customer, should be penalized and unable enjoy new pet battle content on my weekend? Why does the policy of being unable to give quest credit for known bugs in quest chains exist?

You're not being penalized. Sure, maybe you can't enjoy the content you want to right now, but this isn't a personal attack directed at you specifically. You're not being punished, you're not being penalized, you're simply dealing with a bug in a line of code (or three) in a video game.

Whether being unable to give quest credit for bugged quests is official policy, I highly doubt. I would venture to guess the C.S. agent (IE: G.M.) you spoke to misspoke. I find it more likely that they tend to not make a habit of it, depending on the circumstances. This seems to be verified by subsequent posters and past practices in this very thread.

I realize my $15 a month is not consequential to Blizzard and with big companies comes an apathetic attitude. I recently returned to the game and while I find WoW one of the best MMO's in terms of gameplay the customer service aspect is probably the worst. I'm sure right now a developer's attitude reading this is good riddance we don't need you. Please address my issue and look at me as not just a cog in the wheel but as a human being. It's not the matter to which this infinitesimally small issue affects my life. It's the apathetic attitude to which I am treated by your company that matters.

You don't seem to know what the word 'apathetic' means. They have given you an answer at every instance of contact, which you have summarily disregarded. It seems more likely that you are acting like an entitled brat whom doesn't agree with the answer being given, so instead gets angry at the answer.

If Blizzard was truly as 'apathetic' toward customer service as you insinuate, there is no way this game would still be as popular as it is. Treating customers with 'apathetic' intent runs 100% counter to any possible successful model of running a business.

If you don't like their answer, fine, but to accuse them of actions which would destroy their business if true is patently absurd.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Hunter
So I guess giving out progress for Thunder King in order to complete the quest (which goes towards credit for an achievement) is okay, but pet battles are not.

Odd.

yeah a GM emailed me the item in order to complete that quest, don't know why they can't give him what he wanted, maybe they can't reward "kills" idk since they couldn't finish me the other bugged quest that required me to kill a spider that never spawned in the same area.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk

You don't seem to know what the word 'apathetic' means. They have given you an answer at every instance of contact, which you have summarily disregarded. It seems more likely that you are acting like an entitled brat whom doesn't agree with the answer being given, so instead gets angry at the answer.

If Blizzard was truly as 'apathetic' toward customer service as you insinuate, there is no way this game would still be as popular as it is. Treating customers with 'apathetic' intent runs 100% counter to any possible successful model of running a business.

If you don't like their answer, fine, but to accuse them of actions which would destroy their business if true is patently absurd.

Giving an answer and resolving an issue are two different matters. Maybe other people have had better experiences than myself. If they really care about the customers as you insinuate then they will address this policy, time will tell. Also, if no one took the time to voice their concerns like I did then the customer base's demands would not be met. I'm sorry you don't agree with this diplomatic process and feel the need to insult those that do.
Reply Quote
89 Human Paladin

Giving an answer and resolving an issue are two different matters. Maybe other people have had better experiences than myself. If they really care about the customers as you insinuate then they will address this policy, time will tell. Also, if no one took the time to voice their concerns like I did then the customer base's demands would not be met. I'm sorry you don't agree with this diplomatic process and feel the need to insult those that do.

Rich talk after calling the company you're "asking for help" apathetic to the plight of it's customers.

Perhaps to be taken seriously, rather than assumed to be a petulant brat, you should take a look at the tone you convey your concerns with.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]