MoP 5.4 Enhance Guide: Kill Garrosh For Me

(Sticky)

90 Orc Shaman
11/25/2012 03:33 PMPosted by Chillbros
I would hope they'd use common sense and realize that if they use the glyph, then their priority would be what I implied in the glyph section, but I'll add something about it.

I made a paragraph statement regarding the same thing, but people still thought it was confusing :/

11/25/2012 04:30 PMPosted by Saraquel
Thanks for the help. I was just noticing though, this post would be 100x easier to read through quickly and get the just of it if you didn't have a list of 28 abbreviations. I get the point, but it's a little frustrating to have to keep referencing back to the top post.

A lot of guides actually have a reference page/use abbreviations. For those really really new, it may be frustrating, but once you get the concept down it's easy.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Priest
You're right, anyone who is familiar with the spec/class shouldn't have too much trouble with the abbreviations. Just a little advice. I'm not super familiar with the class, and I typically use stickies as a quick reference tool. Most guides use abbreviations, but I don't think any other class has quite as many different abilities which might be used at any given time as the shaman does. So, I guess if you are well versed in shaman abilities and theorycrafting as well, abbreviations are nothing new. But for a more casual player, it can definitely be a pain. 10-15 wouldn't be so bad, but 28... *shrug*
Reply Quote
100 Orc Shaman
You guys are sure UE_FS( already up) should be before ES? I've never been using FS without UE and my average damage with it is ~20k whereas avg ES dmg is ~28k... I'd place it over. Also, the crit difference is kinda big too. Avg of 43k for UE_FS and 60k for ES.

Besides that, everything looks fine, very good guide for beginners. I don't know if your intent is just like a "general guide" or a "raiding guide", if it's the latter, I'd suggest to include a section about CD Management/Opening, because frankly, if you manage your CD poorly, the dps decrease is more than noticeable (i.e. it can go to a 20k difference).

If you need help about the opening, this is what I use:

1. Pre-pot
2. Wolves
3. Unleash Elements (while running to the boss, usually)
4. CD-Macro: Fire Elemental, Ascendance + everything that is off-gcd, Orc Racial, Eng gloves, trinket , etc. + a /stackattack , /petattack
4.1 Bloodust (Basically, your lust would be here to get the full benefit from Stormlash totem + so your wolves get it and your FET) - you can tie it with your CD-Macro since it's off-GCD
4.2 Stormlash totem - if your guild needs StLT, use it here, will have plenty of time with BL, if there's another shaman like an Ele or Resto, ask them to use it first so you can start your rotation one GCD earlier!)
5. Stormstrike (it all depends on how you want to use it, you can use it just when you get on the boss so you can use it two times because Ascendance refreshes it, but you lose some precious opening seconds - having tested both, your opening DPS won't really depend on where you place that SS)
6. Flame Shock (your UE debuff should be up)
7. Lava Lash (hopefully you'll have 4-5 stacks)
8. Lightning Bolt (you'll probably have 5 Maelstrom there)

I've tested loads of openings like placing wolves higher, delaying SS, using it before CDs, using FS with UE while running etc. etc. and overall, this one gave me the best results. I think it mostly depends on RNG like how much you crit with your LL on the start, etc. The two things I found the most optimal were using Wolves before the pull and UE while running.

Anyways, good guide, sticky request!
Edited by Stand on 11/25/2012 8:29 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
11/25/2012 08:28 PMPosted by Stand
ou guys are sure UE_FS( already up) should be before ES?

If you aren't using the glyph of FS, yes. IF you ES before FS, then the unleashed flame buff may fall off, and you lose buffed FS damage
Reply Quote
100 Orc Shaman
11/25/2012 08:43 PMPosted by Chillbros
If you aren't using the glyph of FS, yes. IF you ES before FS, then the unleashed flame buff may fall off, and you lose buffed FS damage

I'm using the glyph so that may answer the question.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
11/25/2012 05:03 AMPosted by Chillbros
Also, if you have the glyph for FS, keep in mind you will only be refreshing your FS half as often

11/25/2012 05:04 AMPosted by Chillbros
It allows you to only have to refresh Flame Shock every other time you use Unleash Elements, instead of every time, which gives you a free Unleash Flame buff to use on EB or Fire Nova, and also gives you a few more ES’s.

So yeah, refresh your FS every other time you UE, not every time.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
Something I noticed while reading is that you say that Blacksmithing might be better than Jewelcrafting later because of Jewelcrafting only gems not providing secondary stats...that is not true there are straight secondary stat Jewelcrafting only gems available to be made now. So if secondary stats eventually overtake agility a combination of Jewelcrafting + Blacksmithing would be the ideal profession combination.

Also I am not sure if there has been any work done on it by anyone since I haven't seen any posts describing it, but are there any sort of haste caps/levels where haste becomes weaker or stronger? Levels where we get extra dot ticks from flame shock (glyphed and unglyphed) and points where PE + EM are the clearly better choice over UF + EotE.
Edited by Belallira on 11/25/2012 11:46 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
11/25/2012 11:38 PMPosted by Belallira
that is not true there are straight secondary stat Jewelcrafting only gems available to be made now

Fixing, wonder when I heard JC's couldn't gem pure stats.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
Also I am not sure if there has been any work done on it by anyone since I haven't seen any posts describing it, but are there any sort of haste caps/levels where haste becomes weaker or stronger?

Now this is where things really get juicy and delicious.

There isn't such a thing as a "haste cap" for Enhancement, but there is indeed a point where you want to reforge for "x" haste rating and then focus more on Mastery. This is called your intersection point. In order to find your intersection point, you have to learn how to read reforge plots on simcraft and map them out for your own character. You should be able to find a good explanation how here: http://www.totemspot.com/vb/showthread.php?t=6844

The reason for there not being a cap is because we have so many factors that generate haste (Unleashed Wind and Flurry to be basic--Though technically UW isn't haste, it's attack speed) that are affected by other factors such as crit (For Flurry) and Unleash Elements' cooldown (Unleashed Wind). One of the biggest reasons things aren't so linear is actually because of these two basic "haste" increasing buffs. Because our pets scale with both our haste and attack speeds, this means that as we gain Unleashed Wind, they attack faster, and as we maintain Flurry, they attack faster. This brings us to a situation where "uptimes" for these two buffs start to come into play with their benefits to our actual pets, while simutaneously being very sporadic because of our already fluctuating uptimes of both Flurry and Unleashed Wind based on our actual character-given secondaries.

For example: having more haste could actually mean that you have a lower Flurry uptime depending on your actual crit % from both agility and what you find on your gear. In fact, it wasn't uncommon for people to find (and still can find) crit to be better than haste for their character when they're still rocking blues. Because you had a lower Flurry uptime, that means your Fire Elemental got less attacks in; same with your wolves. By having a lot of haste, your Unleashed Wind uptime is also going to be a lot shorter. This means less attacks.

However, it's also important to keep in mind that Haste not only scales better for Enhancement, but that it also does provide other benefits besides increasing our pet damage as well as our uptimes for our haste effects--that's why it's not completely awful. Haste was garbage before 5.0 because not only did it have minimal effects to factors that made larger contributions to our DPS (It only could increase Flurry and Elemental Devestation uptimes [both very loosely], 1-2 extra Flame Shock ticks, more auto attacks, more flametongue offhand damage, barely lowered the downtime spent hardcasting, the bridge between Windfury 100% active time [Lowering the time it spends off of its' 2 second ICD to 0], and Maelstrom stack generation), but other stats like Mastery just blew it out of the water because not only did it affect a decent amount of conditionals I already listed, but it would do it better and also scaled up our damage in other sources that haste wouldn't even touch.

Hope this answers your question :).

are the clearly better choice over UF + EotE.

Unless one of the other gurus has an answer that counters this (Or maybe someone else with more numbers in this subject), I'm 100% positive that we will not be seeing PE + EM, or even maybe PE in general being better than UF this tier until fights get to the point to where you can have 40-50% Fire Elemental uptime.
Edited by Platform on 11/26/2012 12:51 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
11/26/2012 12:38 AMPosted by Platform
Also I am not sure if there has been any work done on it by anyone since I haven't seen any posts describing it, but are there any sort of haste caps/levels where haste becomes weaker or stronger?

Now this is where things really get juicy and delicious.

There isn't such a thing as a "haste cap" for Enhancement, but there is indeed a point where you want to reforge for "x" haste rating and then focus more on Mastery. This is called your intersection point. In order to find your intersection point, you have to learn how to read reforge plots on simcraft and map them out for your own character. You should be able to find a good explanation how here: http://www.totemspot.com/vb/showthread.php?t=6844

The reason for there not being a cap is because we have so many factors that generate haste (Unleashed Wind and Flurry to be basic--Though technically UW isn't haste, it's attack speed) that are affected by other factors such as crit (For Flurry) and Unleash Elements' cooldown (Unleashed Wind). One of the biggest reasons things aren't so linear is actually because of these two basic "haste" increasing buffs. Because our pets scale with both our haste and attack speeds, this means that as we gain Unleashed Wind, they attack faster, and as we maintain Flurry, they attack faster. This brings us to a situation where "uptimes" for these two buffs start to come into play with their benefits to our actual pets, while simutaneously being very sporadic because of our already fluctuating uptimes of both Flurry and Unleashed Wind based on our actual character-given secondaries.

For example: having more haste could actually mean that you have a lower Flurry uptime depending on your actual crit % from both agility and what you find on your gear. In fact, it wasn't uncommon for people to find (and still can find) crit to be better than haste for their character when they're still rocking blues. Because you had a lower Flurry uptime, that means your Fire Elemental got less attacks in; same with your wolves. By having a lot of haste, your Unleashed Wind uptime is also going to be a lot shorter. This means less attacks.

However, it's also important to keep in mind that Haste not only scales better for Enhancement, but that it also does provide other benefits besides increasing our pet damage as well as our uptimes for our haste effects--that's why it's not completely awful. Haste was garbage before 5.0 because not only did it have minimal effects to factors that made larger contributions to our DPS (It only could increase Flurry and Elemental Devestation uptimes [both very loosely], 1-2 extra Flame Shock ticks, more auto attacks, more flametongue offhand damage, barely lowered the downtime spent hardcasting, the bridge between Windfury 100% active time [Lowering the time it spends off of its' 2 second ICD to 0], and Maelstrom stack generation), but other stats like Mastery just blew it out of the water because not only did it affect a decent amount of conditionals I already listed, but it would do it better and also scaled up our damage in other sources that haste wouldn't even touch.

Hope this answers your question :).

are the clearly better choice over UF + EotE.

Unless one of the other gurus has an answer that counters this (Or maybe someone else with more numbers in this subject), I'm 100% positive that we will not be seeing PE + EM, or even maybe PE in general being better than UF this tier until fights get to the point to where you can have 40-50% Fire Elemental uptime.

I am more interested in what is theoriticly possible this expansion rather than just this tier of content taking average item level inflation into account. It would seem that at a certain level of haste PE + EM would be strictly better even with current fire elemental uptime---that level might not be reachable this tier of content but it seems plausable by the end of the expansion (provided haste doesn't get nerfed for us).
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
I am more interested in what is theoriticly possible this expansion rather than just this tier of content taking average item level inflation into account. It would seem that at a certain level of haste PE + EM would be strictly better even with current fire elemental uptime---that level might not be reachable this tier of content but it seems plausable by the end of the expansion (provided haste doesn't get nerfed for us).

I'm not entirely sure what my stance on this would be. Haste did take over at the end of the expansion during DS, but there are more variables in place currently with our DPS than there were back then. Now, it is very possible that the reasons for the intersection point of value with haste and then -> mastery dump stem from the fact that not enough haste is on our gear, but simultaneously it should be remembered that Mastery is still a very strong stat. Because of the 5.0 changes I could see haste being our top stat 1-2 tiers from now (One of those reasons being that our Mastery scaling was nerfed from 2.5% to 2% per), but I wouldn't exactly say I'd fall onto stating that PE would be better. PE does have more value out of haste in terms of having a higher intersection point than UF, but still there are other conditionals in place that make assumptions very hard to make.
Edited by Platform on 11/26/2012 11:33 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
platform is a nerd
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
Want me to sign your calculator?
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
Sticky requested.

I never thought about the PE trick nor the using old set bonus swaps, I think I saved my resto T13 set :/
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
Little side note for engineering!

#showtooltip Stormstrike
/run UIErrorsFrame:Clear()
/use 10
/cast Stormstrike

I love this macro. Use this with your synapse springs! But if you've got insane OCD then keybind the proc separately. But this assures you to have the springs go off everytime you're in melee range. And it goes off BEFORE Stormstrike hits, so Stormstrike will benefit.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
5.1 tomorrow!
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Shaman
i have a question just reading the guide... if i pick EB and use my UE for eb and focus more on stacking mastery out of the wazoo rather than crit am i gimping my self? i wanted an extra move rather than UF and i was trying to make it work.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
You need to use Unleashed Flame's on Flame Shocks, as they deal more overall damage than EB does. If you use Glyph of Flame Shock, then you will use only every other UE on Flame Shock, the one's between gaps can be used on EB.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
i have a question just reading the guide... if i pick EB and use my UE for eb and focus more on stacking mastery out of the wazoo rather than crit am i gimping my self? i wanted an extra move rather than UF and i was trying to make it work.

Why would you be stacking crit in the first place?

Also what chillie said, UE -> Flame Shock, UE -> EB, UE -> Flame Shock, etc.

You will find it's a lot more difficult in execution than being on paper because of CD timers and things like Maelstrom Weapon skewing how often your EB goes off. Good luck :<
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]