Best and worst healers

90 Blood Elf Priest
I know what Spirit link is worse on paper, but that doesn't change the fact that it just works better most of the time in practice. It probably has more to do with the healing received than the damage though.

I fail to see how it's better in practice than it is on paper - except when there is a healing debuff that it can bypass (in which case it's game breaking). People think SLT is amazing, because it is very noticeable on your raid frames when it's used and everyone's HP is suddenly leveled off. However, when you actually think about the mechanics behind it, that health redistribution is really not giving you anything; it's still the same total damage to be healed. The exception would be damage mechanics where some people take more damage than other people. Most of the damage patterns you want to raid wall are massive damage to the entire raid.

90%+ of the time, Barrier is more valuable than SLT.

Almost every time someone dies from raid wide damage, it's just one person, or one person at a time. If a bunch of people die at the same time it usually happens only because of a failed mechanic, not damage/healing. What spirit link does is makes it nearly impossible for one person to die by themselves, which in practice makes it difficult for them to die period. Sure the numbers are bogus, but the effect works. It prevents people from dying which is much more important than simply reducing damage. Seeing Spirit link in effect is fairly obvious, not from the health bars, but from how many people (don't) die.

Also, spirit link is MUCH more effective when people are already dipping low than barrier. Cast barrier when people are in danger and they usually die anyway, cast spirit link and they survive the next hit. Barrier has to be cast before damage, including non-aoe damage preceding a raid aoe hit for it to work, where spirit link works both before and in the middle of damage.

Another thing you seem to forget about spirit link is that it makes just about everyone better. By evening out the highs and lows, you almost totally eliminate overhealing from most AoE heals, which GREATLY increases the healing your healers are capable of doing, usually far in excess of 15%. As a priest, simply eliminating that one guy (making him a valid healing target) who used a personal CD/healthstone to keep his health near full in a group increases my healing done by PoH by 25% on that group because im healing 5 targets with no overheal instead of 4, it also evens out crits to much the same effect.

90% of the time spirit link is way more valuable. It may sometimes make up for less overall equivalent healing but it saves lives. If all you are dealing with is flat raid damage in excess of what your raid is able to heal (and that is exactly what everyone is best at healing) barrier can be better, but even during that sort of flat raid aoe different classes and different players take damage and healing differently, so you end up with the largely uneven health pools that play to spirit links strengths.
Edited by Sotanaht on 11/25/2012 10:35 PM PST
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
http://raidbots.com/dpsbot/

Scroll all the way down to see healers :D
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman

Except that barrier requires the raid to be stacked to work, and isn't even as strong as spirit link in most cases when the raid is stacked. Divine hymn always works and tends to be stronger than tranq. Also in 10mans Divine Hymn is by far the strongest raid CD regardless of situation or positions.

What?

Spirit Link - 10% damage reduction for 6 seconds
Barrier - 25% damage reduction for 10 seconds

With most "normal" mechanics, everyone in the raid is taking close to the same amount of damage from a raid AOE effect, so all the health redistribution does is levels health off and moves it around and has very little impact on raid survivability. The only case where SLT > Barrier are on fights where SLT can bypass healing debuffs (like H Spine). In all other cases, it is less than half as effective and has a 40% shorter duration.

Divine Hymn does less healing than Healing Tide Totem in most cases; especially when the raid is at low health and the mastery interaction with HTT is strong.

Because that is all spirit link does right? 10% damage reduction. Give me a break. Spirit link>barrier.
Edited by Cynix on 11/26/2012 4:26 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
11/26/2012 04:26 AMPosted by Cynix
Give me a break. Spirit link>barrier.

SLT better for oh sh** moments. Barrier better for preplanned cd. Apples taste better than oranges.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
11/26/2012 06:32 AMPosted by Sadiemay
Give me a break. Spirit link>barrier.

SLT better for oh sh** moments. Barrier better for preplanned cd. Apples taste better than oranges.

Well SLT is also reduction combined with spread healing. It turns any single target heal into a Raid wide heal for the duration. I think both are equally strong for each of the examples you mention.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest

Well SLT is also reduction combined with spread healing. It turns any single target heal into a Raid wide heal for the duration. I think both are equally strong for each of the examples you mention.

Barrier is fairly useless when the !@#$ has already hit the fan. 25% less damage doesn't do anything to save people who are sitting at 20% HP. You need to use barrier when their HP is full and reduce the hit that got them that low to begin with.

Spirit link on the other hand is still as effective before the damage hits as it is afterward. Barriers best case is equal or only a little better than spirit's worst case.
Edited by Sotanaht on 11/26/2012 1:53 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Warrior
Barrier is the strongest raid wide mitigation tool, While SLT also has very beneficial uses. Barrier will be better as a pre planned mitigation tool then any other cool down in the game.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
11/26/2012 02:05 PMPosted by Botenanna
Barrier is the strongest raid wide mitigation tool, While SLT also has very beneficial uses. Barrier will be better as a pre planned mitigation tool then any other cool down in the game.

And again we get back into barrier has stronger numbers, but SLT just works better most of the time.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
as others pretty much stated, you will more likely use barrier for a big hit situation (before the hit happens).

SLT CAN be used before a big hit (for the 10% reduction or if one random person has dropped low), but it can also be used post-hit (why you would not use it at least before so that it lasts post-hit is beyond me but.. yeah) to level health pools which can really save someone's life if used at the crucial point (of course, you are not getting any healing out of it but just a redistribution of health pools - still is a good thing since with people popping personals and having other passive mitigation (tanks mainly) not everyone takes the same amount of damage from a certain hit).

Barrier can be stronger if its the former case (that is just looking at the numbers each provide), but again slt can be used preemptively (or post-hit) if there is that one person who probably won't survive the hit.

Take a look at something like unseen strike on blade lord. I don't think anyone would argue that SLT is stronger there. You have ample time to top everyone off before the hit. Thus, using it preemptively doesn't make much sense (unless if you want it for the 10% damage reduction). Of course, SLT has other uses on that fight still. edit - actually probably should be using it there as that is where it'll be strongest on that fight most likely.

But then you can look at a fight like empress p3 when everyone starts taking a ton of damage and its very uneven in some cases because of her abilities. SLT can edge out to being more useful since it can redistribute health and keep that certain person alive longer (as long as they eventually get a heal). That person may die still under barrier, however.

my point is that its not as clear cut as everyone is making it out to be here. Both are very strong and it depends completely on the situation as to which is just better.

Or in some cases, you might find another separate use for SLT that wouldn't be gotten with barrier. On le shi for instance, you might be able to get a solid barrier in during the run away phase (the one where she pushes you away), but you might want to save your SLT for when the protectors come out OR when the tanks start taking high damage at the end. I mean I can't see SLT being "useless" there or just a simple "redistribution tool" and nothing more. That redistribution can really keep up a tank for instance in those situations, something barrier could not.

I wouldn't say "in all other cases" or even 90% of the time SLT is worse. There just are not that many "big hit" mechanics for that to be the case in this tier.

Also this seems to have gone off-topic pretty fast...
Edited by Gardiff on 11/26/2012 3:21 PM PST
Reply Quote
Wait, there is a spell that makes everyone's health the same. That is a redistribution of health, Blizz devs are communists!
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Paladin
25 Man-> Monk=Disc>Shaman>Paladin>>>>>>>>>>>>>Druid>>>>> Holy priest
10 Man-> Disc>Shaman>Druid=Paladin=Monk>Holy priest

=O TROLOLOL

10 - Disc=Paladin>Shaman>Monk>Holy Pr>Blood DK>Druid.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]