"The Lesson of the Burning Scroll" Bugged

85 Blood Elf Priest
The starter quest in Pandaria where you grab the flame from Master Shang Xi is broken. The icon image that appears when you hover over the master is the yellow question mark, not the icon of the open hand as was there previously. Because of this, you only get the little blurb about "your time coming" instead of being able to grab the flame.

I have logged out and back in and the problem is there still.

This quest cannot be completed as of right now.
Reply Quote
89 Draenei Death Knight
I saw the same issue and got the hand to reappear when mousing over the space between the quest giver and my character, rather than directly on the flame.

Hope that helps!
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Priest
I did finally get it to work. Though ironically, I had to face directly away from the Shang Xi and the hand icon appeared over the opposite doorway and worked. :/

Ah, well.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
No cogwell ... just had to keep circling the cursor around the doorway until the hand lite up ... clicked then. I backed up about 5 yds and faced NPC ... moved cursor around the arch of the doorway on the left until it went from gray to yellow. Clicked at that point. Hope they fix this soon. Very confusing.
- J
Reply Quote
85 Troll Priest
Oddly, I had switched to this message board to see what was wrong, and when I went back to the WoW window it immediately gave me the message about getting the flame "on your first try!" Either it auto completes after a while or it completed when I clicked on a random part of the screen.
Reply Quote
77 Blood Elf Rogue
I just read these responses and went back to the quest as well. As soon as I put my cursor above Master Xi I got the hand and snatched the flame ... thanks to all. Now, on to the top of the Temple!
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
I did finally get it to work. Though ironically, I had to face directly away from the Shang Xi and the hand icon appeared over the opposite doorway and worked. :/

Ah, well.

Thank you. This worked for me. I just kept moving my mouse around and I finally found a spot where the hand icon finally appeared.
Reply Quote
100 Human Mage

Ah, well.

Thank you! I can confirm that this works.
Reply Quote
3 Human Warrior
I had to stand with my back facing him and put the icon to my right and it appeared..crazy..lol
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
*Facedesks* Dang... I've been here for half an hour plus, trying to get this to work... None of the "fixes" I'm finding are working. I've gone all over the room, changed the camera, turned, relogged, re-picked up the quest; I've done everything except delete the character, and no matter where I click, I'm stuck here. How frustrating...
Reply Quote
91 Pandaren Hunter
I finished the quest by simply clicking on the wall of the doorway behind him. That counted as "grabbing the flame" for me.
Reply Quote
confirmed 1/27/2014 face away from questgiver and mouseover in front of yourself to get palm icon to show.
Reply Quote
100 Human Warlock
What Marissah said worked for me, so glad I googled it to figure out what I was doing wrong.
Reply Quote
88 Draenei Hunter
It's not a bug. You just have to click on the area around Shang Xi, not on him directly. If you step back, you'll notice that the area around him glitters like a quest items. All of that area produces the hand icon.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Mage
This is not the kind of difficulty new players should encounter so soon into the start of the game. I wonder how many people just gave up and stopped playing because they couldn't get past this point? Brand new players may not know to check forums, Wowhead, or Google.

The starting area is supposed to train new players how to interact with the NPCs and objects in the game. The mechanics for this particular quest just don't work for that purpose. All the "fixes" are counterintuitive to what the quest asks you to do. In a game that is otherwise very polished, it's not acceptable, imo, and needs to be fixed. Bugs or problems in a starting area should have priority.
Reply Quote
its on top of the building not a bug
Reply Quote
81 Dwarf Hunter
I hadnt been on in three years so i read all the other posts until i came to yours. they seemed to have forgotten just to state it is on the top florr :)
Thanks for your help
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]