How Patronizing of Blizzard

http://blue.mmo-champion.com/topic/246230-way-too-much-hand-holding-crap-in-51/

"On the subject of "hand-holding", there is an option to disable the Loss of Control UI. Just uncheck the box titled Loss of Control Alerts in the Combat section of the Interface menu."

Are you kidding me? A huge problem of the Loss of Control Alerts is that regardless of enabled/disabled you can't see your CD's. He realizes that at the bottom when its brought to his attention and says, "I'll pass that info on". But nothing about how his previous, patronizing comment was incorrect. (Because you can't disable the entire alert system"

Makes me mad.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
http://blue.mmo-champion.com/topic/246230-way-too-much-hand-holding-crap-in-51/

"On the subject of "hand-holding", there is an option to disable the Loss of Control UI. Just uncheck the box titled Loss of Control Alerts in the Combat section of the Interface menu."

Are you kidding me? A huge problem of the Loss of Control Alerts is that regardless of enabled/disabled you can't see your CD's. He realizes that at the bottom when its brought to his attention and says, "I'll pass that info on". But nothing about how his previous, patronizing comment was incorrect. (Because you can't disable the entire alert system"

Makes me mad.

You couldn't even post the actual thread link. Why would you post the MMO-Champion link instead of the original?

Makes me mad.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Mage
You get mad because Blizzard is offering you an option to disable it?

This thread is pretty absurd.. and the "anger" over this feature is pretty absurd, too.

Don't like it? Don't use it.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Warlock

This thread is pretty absurd.. and the "anger" over this feature is pretty absurd, too.

You obviously didn't read the OP.

What he's upset about is if you disable the feature, heck, even with it enabled, there is no way to tell how long until the school you got interrupted will be available for casting.

Previous system. Get kicked in fire school. All fire spells are put on a 5 second cooldown.

Current system. Get a message that says you're locked out for 5 seconds from fire and fades away. Have fun guessing when you can cast fire spells again.
Reply Quote
Community Manager

Actually, the frustration is understandable.

This thread might have been started out of context though. The player I was originally responding to seemed to simply resent that the feature existed at all, despite being an option that can be disabled. He hadn't mentioned that the screen flash and action bar 'red out' persisted after disabling the Loss of Control UI, nor had anyone else, when I first responded to the thread.

We're looking into it now.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid

This thread might have been started out of context though. The player I was originally responding to seemed to simply resent that the feature existed at all, despite being an option that can be disabled. He hadn't mentioned that the screen flash and action bar 'red out' persisted after disabling the Loss of Control UI, nor had anyone else, when I first responded to the thread.

Don't worry. You guys (CMs) are damned if you do and damned if you don't regardless of the subject in question.

However it would be nice to have an option to disable the entire system to go back to the old way and undo a lot of the ui changes that have occurred.
Reply Quote
Why do you care? It's not like shamans can cast anything while silenced.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
11/28/2012 10:21 AMPosted by Daxxarri
The player I was originally responding to seemed to simply resent that the feature existed at all, despite being an option that can be disabled. He hadn't mentioned that the screen flash and action bar 'red out' persisted after disabling the Loss of Control UI, nor had anyone else, when I first responded to the thread.

Well, uhm... Those are PART of the "feature"... So what made you think he wasn't complaining about them, when he was complaining about the "feature" as a whole? What made you think he was only complaining about the part of it you can disable? Really...

Can't explain that, can you? Just like Bill O'Reilly can't explain tides.
Reply Quote
Zarlendar - I feel like its nicely condensed in that mmo-champion link, rather than having to scroll through a bunch of messages.

Naelaedra - You can't disable the entire function. Your CD's are still obscured.

Daxxari - Nice to know, I don't wanna turn this into a "he said, she said" war, I just wanted to voice my discontent, which is mostly fueled by the Lose Control function, not anything a blue says, haha.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Priest
11/28/2012 10:33 AMPosted by Naishee
The player I was originally responding to seemed to simply resent that the feature existed at all, despite being an option that can be disabled. He hadn't mentioned that the screen flash and action bar 'red out' persisted after disabling the Loss of Control UI, nor had anyone else, when I first responded to the thread.

Well, uhm... Those are PART of the "feature"... So what made you think he wasn't complaining about them, when he was complaining about the "feature" as a whole? What made you think he was only complaining about the part of it you can disable? Really...

Can't explain that, can you? Just like Bill O'Reilly can't explain tides.

Such aggression... especially since the OP really was not complaining about the feature as a whole.

Just read the original post (the player he was originally responding to) in the quoted thread:

Big splash alerts on my screen when CC'd, an "Are you sure?" box when leaving groups, and orange raid text in a party that nobody ever sees in a chatbox filled with orange DBM text.

Blizzard. Remove this crap. If player's don't understand what snares and roots are, they shouldn't be playing video games.

I highlighted the part being replied to for your benefit.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Mage
He hadn't mentioned that the screen flash and action bar 'red out' persisted after disabling the Loss of Control UI, nor had anyone else, when I first responded to the thread

This is false: Evilknieval's post, on the first page of that thread, mentioned the flashing red screen & the refreshing issue, well before you posted.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
11/28/2012 11:41 AMPosted by Fleafly
He hadn't mentioned that the screen flash and action bar 'red out' persisted after disabling the Loss of Control UI, nor had anyone else, when I first responded to the thread

This is false: Evilknieval's post, on the first page of that thread, mentioned the flashing red screen & the refreshing issue, well before you posted.

I'm not sure even CMs read every post in a thread they're posting in. I imagine they would end up spending all day just trying to stay current on the thread they were posting in, and when they reply, it just generates more posts, compounding the problem.

That said, yeah, there was a pretty straightforward description of the problem on the first page of the thread.

Did anyone notice this on the PTR before it went live, or did it function differently there?
Reply Quote
Community Manager
11/28/2012 11:52 AMPosted by Shalhoub
I'm not sure even CMs read every post in a thread they're posting in.

I generally try to, but it's not always possible - sometimes getting information out without taking into account every post created in a thread is more important, especially since there is always, always other stuff going on (not that this was really one of those cases). Also, sometimes a post is created while I'm composing my own post, but I don't usually go back and edit my post in a thread to suit.
Edited by Daxxarri on 11/28/2012 11:59 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
Perhaps if "blues" started to post in different colors to suit their moods.

Red is Angry!
Blue is Calm.
Purple can be Dinosaur. Don't ask me how.

Also, I thought the buttons just turned colors, but can still see them.
Reply Quote
Community Manager

Some things you just don't need to ask.

My current mood is always Dinosaur.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest

But just FYI, a lot of people do actually like the new feature. Maybe it could be a bit less screen-consuming, but it's much more informative and interactive than the old system.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
Perhaps if "blues" started to post in different colors to suit their moods.

Red is Angry!
Blue is Calm.

Also, I thought the buttons just turned colors, but can still see them.

Brilliance ^
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]