no grand commendation indication

(Locked)

90 Human Hunter
Agree - even lets you purchase and use multiple version of the same commendation. I tried this last night just too see if it would.

Either a red 'already known' on the item like patterns etc or perhaps some kind of indicator on the reputation screen - thinking little shield next to the reps which have the commendation.
90 Blood Elf Monk
11/29/2012 06:07 PMPosted by Bashiok
Totally! Thought the exact same thing last night. Not sure how it could be displayed or what would work best but...

I am of the opinion that the best option would be to have some sort of indication in the reputation tab (either have some star or something by the reps, or have it indicated when you click on them).
Edited by Kusanagi on 11/29/2012 6:47 PM PST
11/29/2012 04:48 PMPosted by Rygarius
Thanks for the feedback. I'll bring the concerns for grand commendations up at the next developer meeting.

How does this sort of thing happen, though? How do you implement a feature and then provide no simple way of telling the feature is active? (Completing and turning in a daily quest is silly if you're just trying to figure out whether or not you've purchased an item.)
90 Draenei Hunter

Totally! Thought the exact same thing last night. Not sure how it could be displayed or what would work best but...

Anyway. RyGuy gotchoo.

Just make it so you can't buy it again either by greying it out or removing it from the vendor after purchase. It's no different than how recipes from a vendor work except it doesn't come back in stock.
Edited by Reactable on 11/29/2012 7:13 PM PST
11/29/2012 06:07 PMPosted by Bashiok

I'm sure that there's probably half a dozen better ways you guys could come up with to do it, but the first thought I had when I clicked my first one and didn't get any indication was that I was expecting a sub-bar similar to the friendship indicators for The Anglers or The Tillers.
100 Human Mage
One other thing, the Extra rep, is that only for the new Panda reps? or does this back date to other reps like BC reps, and Wrath Reps? and if not is there any plan to change them so they will to?
19 Troll Shaman
11/29/2012 06:07 PMPosted by Limpstick
How did you buy them on a level one alt?

Obviously they are posting on the forums as one of their low level alts instead of their main. Like I'm doing right now.
90 Night Elf Druid

Anyway. RyGuy gotchoo.

Rushed is rushed. Keep on pushing.
100 Human Paladin
11/29/2012 06:47 PMPosted by Kusanagi

I am of the opinion that the best option would be to have some sort of indication in the reputation tab (either have some star or something by the reps, or have it indicated when you click on them).

This.

Just change the faction name from "Shadow-pan" to one of:
"Shadow-pan *"
"Shadow-pan +"
"Shadow-pan x2"
"Shadow-pan (x2)"
etc.

Do some basic usability testing on your UI, and you should figure out the best way to display it within an hour.
100 Pandaren Monk
I went the old-fashioned route and wrote a list, hehe, since I am still lacking a couple factions.

Once you consume one, can you do it again? Or will you get some kind of message?
90 Night Elf Mage
I want to second the suggestion about an account-wide achievement. Seems the best, quickest, and easiest way without adding in a bunch of buttons and altering the display.
100 Tauren Shaman
Not sure if it has been said or not, but it could be made a Feat of Strength or part of an Achievement to buy all that you have access too on your side (Horde Vs. Alliance). If you're looking for a spot to put them properly in the UI, maybe it's time to look at updating the reputation tab at some point in the future, if this sort of thing will be normal moving forward.
90 Human Paladin
I think it would be best to place a passive spell effect on the general tab of the spellbook when the book is used and an "Already Known" tag on the items after use. That or just remove the commendations and apply the passive effect at revered reputation. I don't care about the effect being transparent and unknown as long as it's there and if it's from purchased items they get tagged correctly to prevent double purchase.
90 Undead Mage
An indicator note would be nice on the reputation window, but I observed that once I used a grand commendation, it was no longer available for purchase from the npc, if that helps anybody :)
100 Orc Warrior
11/29/2012 10:35 PMPosted by Xiaoli
Once you consume one, can you do it again? Or will you get some kind of message?

Currently, nothing in-game stops you from buying and using a second grand commendation.

Just to see what would happen, I bought and used two Tillers commendations: Grand Commendation of the Tillers
Got no errors or messages buying or using the second one.

I imagine that the "UI polish" was forgotten or overlooked due to a rushed schedule. UI design is _hard_.

I don't expect the designers need suggestions, but my suggested changes would be:
- The reputation pane of the character sheet has a small icon indicating the application of teh commendation. You can hover over the icon to see a tooltip describing "You get a reputation bonus because blah blah."
- AND the item on the vendor changes in some way to indicate that you don't need to buy the item again. Some variation of the red text "already known" would fit well with what players already expect to watch for.
100 Orc Warrior
11/29/2012 11:22 PMPosted by Halister
once I used a grand commendation, it was no longer available for purchase from the npc

Perhaps different vendors are different?

Gina Mudclaw is definitely still willing to sell me more Grand Commendation of the Tillers
100 Human Paladin
11/29/2012 11:30 PMPosted by Inushi
I don't expect the designers need suggestions

I do.
Blizzard hires people specifically for interface design, and the fact that they failed like this (and by "like this", I mean they failed in a very specific way) really says something.

Normally a bad design decision isn't too serious, except the idea of "let the user know that something happened" is a pretty basic design principle.
100 Night Elf Rogue
Well, if you track reputation gains in the chat window, it's pretty obvious there.
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I just went around on my primary 90, buying up all the grand commendation I qualified for. As it stands, I see no indication whatsoever that they're in effect. I don't get a passive ability in my spellbook indicating it. I don't have an active buff like the VP cap one (which is welcomed given that we wouldn't want a ton of those on every toon always). I don't even see anything on my rep tab, even when I click on the individual reps.

And here's the kicker: I don't see any indication on the quartermaster vendor screen. No red already known, even though I had just consumed one. There should be SOME form of indication.

Anyway. RyGuy gotchoo.

Any chance we could get some sort of UI that could show us all account-wide benefits (currently the bonus rep at revered) and maybe even look that as a chance to revamp how heirloom items + bonus leveling XP for alts works.

( i would love it if the ilvl scaling tech could used to make all leveling gear scale to an extent so that it is still worth getting gear while leveling rather then the current "helms, cloaks, weapons, trinkets, (1) ring, legs, shoulders and chest are mailed to lvl 1's and used until you hit 80/85" After all that is 9 out of 16 gear slots that you shouldn't replace before lvl 80 and we currently lack lvl 90 heirlooms so why not revamp the system into something that can scale naturally with future expansions and would make leveling alts more enjoyable.)
90 Blood Elf Priest
There's no indication for if you have killed the Sha of Anger for the week either!

Daily completion would be nice to know for those of us that are running more then 1 character... Yes I know I should be able to remember but it's easy to lose track when you do it every day at different hours.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]