Viscidus Soloing Strategies: Class by Class

90 Tauren Druid
Hello all! Got tired of all the QQ posts regarding soloing our favorite blob of goo, so here you now find yourself! This is intended to be a community-driven thread, as I only personally know 5 classes well enough to comment on how to solo this guy. I'll update this OP as more class representation presents itself!

THE PREMISE

1. Do enough hits to freeze Viscidus
    2. Do enough hits while Viscidus is frozen to shatter him while he is below 5% to avoid having to go through add phase

While yes, they made number 1 easier (which really just 'saves time'), the primary issue for most classes will be with numero dos. For some classes, this will be easy, for others, not so much.

General Advice

• 1. Haste!
  • Haste potions, haste food, haste elixirs, haste gear, whatever you can do to get those fists flying, do it! It might seem like nothing, watching your swing timer go from 1.8 to 1.65, but trust me, when you miss the shatter by 2 hits, you're going to be kicking yourself!Kafa Press!
  • 2. Items!
  • Remember, the individual hits don't have to be from you! But they DO have to be melee hits. So, time to dust off those Barov Peasant Caller, because yes, their hits count! Just make sure to keep them out of the poison. Other items that I can confirm work are: Terracotta Fragment!Antediluvian Cornerstone Grimoire, and I'm sure there are others! Just make sure to test ahead of time whether or not they'll A) Remain active if the item is swapped, and B) That they can be summoned during the event

Classy Advice

• Druid
  • FERAL
    My flavor of choice, this is really not that hard at all. Get yourself a Kafa Press, suck back some Tangy Yogurt, pop that elixir, and then, wait, you can't FREEZE him, can you? Well, not to worry, there is a very simple solution to this problem! Brunnhildar Harpoon! Sold by Warsmith Sigfinna in Brunnhildar Village within Storm Peaks, you'll find yourself freezing the big green in no time. After that, it's really only an issue of pooling energy, saving Tiger's Fury, popping berserk, popping your Press, and then spamming your lowest energy-cost ability. Some like to pre-pop zerk, but I did it just fine popping it on reaction to him freezing!

• Rogue
  • COMBAT
    Should be doable by most rogue specs, but I used Combat for Adrenaline Rush and Killing Spree! Usual items apply for buffs, haste haste haste, Kafa Press. There exist several grey quality, low level daggers that have 1.6 speed, from the weaponsmiths in Org. Go purchase them. Affix Ye Olde Frost Oil, go bonkers on the green glob. Once he is about to freeze, extend duration of SnD, pool your energy, and then on freeze, pop Press, KS, Shadow Blades, Adrenaline Rush, SS->Evis until your fingers bleed = Dead Blob

• Death Knight
  • Hero Class Bro. One of, if not THE easiest class to solo this as.
      A) Pop Army
      B) Hit Visc 8 times within the frozen cycle
      C) Collect lootz

• Hunter
  • Yet another snooze-fest class, please be advised that the "IMMUNE" you get from snake trap is from the Poison they're attempting to apply, NOT the melee hits!
    A) Brunnhildar Bow!
    B) Snake Trap
    C) Lynx Rush
    D) Stampede
    E) Lootz
    Reply Quote
    90 Tauren Druid
    Reserved for remaining classes!
    Reply Quote
    100 Human Paladin
    Crate of Kidnapped Puppies might come in handy here (spawns a group of 5 pug dogs). Edit: Nevermind. Can't be used inside raids. :( Lame!
    Edited by Killcrazy on 11/29/2012 4:13 PM PST
    Reply Quote
    100 Human Paladin
    Druid
    FERAL
    My flavor of choice, this is really not that hard at all. Get yourself a Kafa Press, suck back some Tangy Yogurt, pop that elixir, and then, wait, you can't FREEZE him, can you? Well, not to worry, there is a very simple solution to this problem! Brunnhildar Harpoon! Sold by Warsmith Sigfinna in Brunnhildar Village within Storm Peaks, you'll find yourself freezing the big green in no time. After that, it's really only an issue of pooling energy, saving Tiger's Fury, popping berserk, popping your Press, and then spamming your lowest energy-cost ability. Some like to pre-pop zerk, but I did it just fine popping it on reaction to him freezing!

You just made my day. I was trying to find a cheap and easy weapon to get the frost damage needed for him.

Now I have one. Off I go to slap Viscidus!

*Edit*

Just killed him. A quick run down of the strat I used in my ret spec was:
    1) Equip the aforementioned Brunnhildar Harpoon
    2) Eat aformetioned Tangy Yogurt
    3) Spec into Holy Avenger
    4) Whittle his health down to sub 5% and stock up on 5 holy power.
    5) Freeze him
    6) Pop Guardian of Ancient Kings when he's frozen, blow your first use of Holy Power on Templar's Verdict, than Crusader Strike him, Templar Verdict him again.
    7) NOW pop Holy Avenger, Judge, Templar Verdict, Exorcise, Templar Verdict, Crusader Strike, Templar Verdict, etc. until he shatters.

You should have more than enough time and cool down rotations to get a kill off him this way. Enjoy!
    Edited by Bladesyphon on 11/29/2012 5:04 PM PST
    Reply Quote
    100 Gnome Warrior
    Warriors, buy a pair of 1.80 daggers (Wasteland Dagger) from the Adventuring Supplies vendor on the wall in SW Vale of Eternal Blossoms near some dungeon entrance (blanking on the name). Should cost about 86 gold each.

Get them enchanted with Elemental Force. Total mat cost of 6 Mysterious Essence.

That's it. The enchants do the freezing, and the speedy daggers do the damage and required number of hits. Good luck on the pet drop.
    Reply Quote
    1 Gnome Warrior
    As a mage I was able to do this with a 1.6 speed dagger, time warp, ghost iron dragonling, 8464 haste rating(counting food+elixir), and a potion of speed.

If you do try this, be sure Visc is at 1%. Get 19 frost spells into him, and as soon as your dragonling moves to attack, hit him with one more frost spell then time warp/speed pot and go to town.

At first I was doing this with just Time Warp and about 4.5k haste(no food/elixir) and was only able to get a few seconds into "looks ready to shatter". I completely forgot about my dragonling until I went to reforge, so I was unable to test if all I needed was the dragonling.
    Reply Quote
    90 Blood Elf Rogue
    I just went with frost oil as said above, he shattered once and got some pieces back together and i just froze him again and killed him. It seemed easy enough with just the 1.6 speed daggers you can use frost oil on.

I think being combat may have helped out a bit.

edit: Either way the pet dropped so no worries for me anymore.
    Edited by Eneria on 11/30/2012 10:38 AM PST
    Reply Quote
    90 Worgen Warlock
    As a warlock, the only awkward part was freezing him, but even that was simple. I enchanted Elemental Force onto a 1.6 speed sword (my old Volcanospike). Freezing was just matter of AFK autoattacking him.

I was able to shatter him with just me and my Wrathguard. I pooled my Wrathguard's energy beforehand, and forced him to use it all after Viscidus was frozen. I *THINK* that Touch of Chaos (metamorphosis) is counting as a melee attack, so I'm not even sure the 1.6 speed weapon was really necessary. I had GoServ talented and my Barov Peasant caller as backup, but never ended up using them. I think affliction locks could pull it off pretty easily with a Voidwalker and meleeing with Dark Soul's haste effect on.

Yesterday I did Visc with my level 85 shaman and hunter...unlike Razorgore, Viscidus seems much more accessible for our underlevelled alts. I'm not so able to pull off Twin Emps on my 85s, though.

85 Shaman vs Visc was easy as elemental.
    Whittled him down, threw on frostbrand weapon, used frost shock on cooldown to freeze.
    1.8 speed weapon. Popped Earth Elemental, Elemental Mastery, and Heroism to shatter. Easily done. Enh should be a cakewalk, and I'm sure resto could pull it off too easily enough.

My 85 Hunter required some work ahead of time. I'm BM, and so I tamed a Chimaera for its frost damage attack. I much preferred that over having to equip a dinky white bow. Shattered him on the first try, even without Stampede, using Kill Command on CD, and Murder of Crows (not sure if this counts?). Didn't even pop snake trap.

85 retadin in bad gear (read: no haste) pulled it off with Elemental Force, a 1.6 speed caster weapon, and GoAK. I didn't manage to shatter him the one time I tried without GOAK. :(
    Edited by Naerina on 11/30/2012 9:10 PM PST
    Reply Quote
    90 Human Paladin
    I solo'd this on my first try as a ret paladin. I took a 1H weapon and put Elemental Force on it and used my normal ret set to get him to 1hp. At that point, I swapped to my 1H weapon and just smacked him and kept myself healed. When he was about to become frozen I made sure I had 5hp, wings and guardian available. Right when he froze, I swapped back to my 2H and unleashed all hell, using every attack I possibly could.

It might have been just luck, I'm sure next week I'll have lots of issue, but that's what worked for me. Didn't need any haste/speed potions or anything.
    Reply Quote
    90 Human Warlock
    11/30/2012 12:10 PMPosted by Naerina
    I think affliction locks could pull it off pretty easily with a Voidwalker and meleeing with Dark Soul's haste effect on.

The tooltip for DS as Affliction says it increases Spell Haste by 30%, so unless one of our spells as Affliction somehow counts as a melee attack this shouldn't work.

But I just did this fight, I can say they VASTLY lowered the number of hits it takes to shatter him. I used Grimoire of Service for another Felguard, both using felstorm and he died almost instantly. I also froze twice (building fury) and the first time he seemed like he stayed frozen for a good ~30-45 seconds, which honestly means I probably could've just sat there with one Voidwalker/Felguard autoattacking and we would've probably killed it.

Incredibly easy fight now, the only challenge is classes who don't have a pet, or other source of melee attacks without special items. (Such as Mages, but I'm sure its really easy even for them)
    Reply Quote
    90 Worgen Warlock
    11/30/2012 06:13 PMPosted by Zcreed
    The tooltip for DS as Affliction says it increases Spell Haste by 30%, so unless one of our spells as Affliction somehow counts as a melee attack this shouldn't work

I stand corrected, then. I didn't read the tooltip to confirm. >.>
    Reply Quote
    100 Orc Warrior
    I solo him today I brought 2 lv 85 one handed axes enchant them with Elemental force its count frost damage. I freeze him up and burst that sucker down piece of cake.
    Reply Quote
    90 Human Warlock
    11/30/2012 09:44 PMPosted by Nery
  • SPEC: DEMONOLOGY

• I'm not totally sure Demonology or GoServ is totally necessary. They definitely help, but with him being frozen for 30 seconds now you can almost definitely do it in any spec, and with a single voidwalker and just autoattack with a dagger/sword. I'll try this next week since I definitely did overkill him with Demo and 2 felguards.
    Edited by Zcreed on 11/30/2012 11:26 PM PST
    Reply Quote
    100 Pandaren Monk
    (just did this about 10 mins ago)

Monk tactic :

Windwalker spec :

Grab two 1.6 speed swords (I got level 46 ones cheap on the AH)
    Put elemental force on one of your weapons (or in my case as I use a two-hander only weapon)
    Burn him down til he freezes (won't take long),
    As he goes from cold to frozen jab until you get 5 chi (use ascension), switch weapons when he freezes.
    Spinning crane kick, fists of fury, few hits later he's dead.
    Reply Quote
    90 Blood Elf Warlock
    11/30/2012 11:25 PMPosted by Zcreed
  • SPEC: DEMONOLOGY

• I'm not totally sure Demonology or GoServ is totally necessary. They definitely help, but with him being frozen for 30 seconds now you can almost definitely do it in any spec, and with a single voidwalker and just autoattack with a dagger/sword. I'll try this next week since I definitely did overkill him with Demo and 2 felguards.

They're not mandatory, but it's probably the fastest way. I shattered him as affliction with just a dagger & Shivara nothing else used. However freezing him was a pain w/o knowing about Touch of Chaos. Apparently Frost damage wands aren't freezing him now, or at least not the one from the Krasarang quest.
    Reply Quote
    90 Blood Elf Rogue
    (just did this about 10 mins ago)

Monk tactic :

Windwalker spec :

Grab two 1.6 speed swords (I got level 46 ones cheap on the AH)
    Put elemental force on one of your weapons (or in my case as I use a two-hander only weapon)
    Burn him down til he freezes (won't take long),
    As he goes from cold to frozen jab until you get 5 chi (use ascension), switch weapons when he freezes.
    Spinning crane kick, fists of fury, few hits later he's dead.

Ahh crud elemental force works....o well frost oil worked fine also.
    Reply Quote
    90 Human Monk
    You don't need anything special as a windwalker anymore, other than the brunnhildar weapon for the frost damage. Since after the hotfix you only need 30 hits (down from 50) in 30s (up from 15s), I didn't even need to swap to faster weapons to shatter it.
    Reply Quote
    90 Human Warlock
    They're not mandatory, but it's probably the fastest way. I shattered him as affliction with just a dagger & Shivara nothing else used. However freezing him was a pain w/o knowing about Touch of Chaos. Apparently Frost damage wands aren't freezing him now, or at least not the one from the Krasarang quest.

You could just grab any 1.6 dagger and throw Elemental Force on it, it procs for Frost damage, which is how I froze him.
    Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
    Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]