ReportPlayerIsPVPAFK is broken in 5.1

So Bliz decided to do yet another undocumented change in 5.1 -- removal of API to flag people afk in BGs. I use the following macro to report *EVERYONE* on my team afk. I do this so that afkers or bots being flagged by others will be kicked. It essentially gives my consent to kick anyone that others also flag AFK since multiple people need report person X for them to be kicked. It is the only thing I can do to combat the huge number of bots in BGs. Now it is broken.

There is no way I am going to stop combat in the middle of a bg, open the scoreboard, look at who is not contributing, open the map observe others and see who is possibly afk or botting, and then INDIVIDUALLY /target them, and manually click through a menu system to report them afk ONE BY ONE. Healers do not have the time to do that in a BG. This is ridiculous. Carpal tunnel anyone? No thanks.

/run for i=1,GetNumGroupMembers() do local unit = "raid"..i local name,realm = UnitName(unit) if(realm) then ReportPlayerIsPVPAFK(name.."-"..realm) else ReportPlayerIsPVPAFK(name) end end
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Mage
Blizzard's UI code still uses it. Is it protected now?
Edited by Choonster on 11/29/2012 12:13 PM PST
Reply Quote
Yes it is flagged protected
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Mage
Can you test what kind of protection they applied to it using the method described in this post?
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/6201230928#7
Reply Quote
"A macro script has been blocked from an action only available to the Blizzard UI"
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Mage
11/29/2012 12:18 PMPosted by Paîn
"A macro script has been blocked from an action only available to the Blizzard UI"

Damn, that looks like full protection and not just a hardware requirement. It may still be possible to use a secure action button to click the dropdown buttons that trigger a report.
Reply Quote
Yes but that would require multiple hardware events as I would need to spam it for everyone in the BG. As much as I detest bots and afkers, I'm not willing to get arthritis IRL trying to combat them.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Mage
Well binding it to the scroll wheel would ease it a bit, but unfortunately it looks like you'll need at least one hardware event per report now.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
So Bliz decided to do yet another undocumented change in 5.1 -- removal of API to flag people afk in BGs. I use the following macro to report *EVERYONE* on my team afk.

This is probably exactly why it's protected now. Reporting all 39 other people on your team as AFK, without actually knowing that they are AFK is abusing the system.

Is it convenient? Sure. But it's the same thing as dialing 911 'cause you only got 9 chicken nuggets instead of 10.

Edit: As in, it's an abuse of the system and a silly thing to do because you're unclear on the concept.
Edited by Unkle on 11/30/2012 11:41 AM PST
Reply Quote
Your 911 analogy is baseless. When you call 911 they are required to respond (take action) when even a single caller calls. When I report people afk there is absolutely no action taken UNLESS there is a consensus by others. There is absolutely no harm in me reporting everyone afk. afk kicking is by consensus. I can't kick anyone by myself.

As a healer, I do not have time to micro-manage everyone, view maps, view scoreboards, watch movement patterns, etc to determine if someone is afk or botting WHILE I am frantically trying to heal.

As a human, I refuse to get carpal tunnel and report everyone afk one by one.

As a human, I refuse to be an unpaid bot scanner for bliz. I've done that in the past and it has had absolutely no benefit for me in the long term -- the bots are more prevalent than ever.

As for a solution, there is none anymore. Blizzard has chosen, and the bots win, yet again.
Reply Quote
86 Human Warlock
There's no harm in you doing it? What happens when someone else on your team has a similar macro, and everyone gets reported AFK twice? What if three people are doing it? Four?

Your argument is essentially that of a litterbug - "one piece of trash isn't going to hurt anything". And no, it won't - but when lots of people do it, you end up with lots of trash, and it does hurt things.

You don't have time to check whether there's really a reason to suspect whether people are AFK - but an addon can do that. You could have installed such an addon - people wrote plenty of them. Instead, you chose to abuse the system by just spamming AFK reports.

To simplify: This is why we can't have nice things.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
It may not be just due to that kind of abuse (although, seriously, dude, wtf?) There were some premade-forming addons that permitted a party leader to command the clients of all party members using the addon to mark someone as afk, which if the group was large enough would immediately kick the player out of the battleground whether they were afk or not. They used to to punish people who didn't do what they were told, to remove pugs to try to get the rest of their team into the battleground, or just to be jerks to people they'd decided they didn't like. Interesting that this was protected at the same time as JoinBattlefield.
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
11/29/2012 12:05 PMPosted by Paîn
I use the following macro to report *EVERYONE* on my team afk
This is called abuse. Blizzard has made the change to prevent abuse.
Reply Quote
Ok my problem is somewhat similar, i don't use a macro or anything "abusive" to report afk. I do it the normal way, i click on their portrait or map icon and right click, report away. BUT i also use addons. and i like these addons, and i'd rather not have to go without them, yet they always report "action blocked by add-on" or whatever. I've deduced that it's a few key addons i use that lead to this problem, and when i turn them off it's all fine. How do I fix this? There isn't any logical explanation for why they interfere with reporting away, they're not doing something for me automatically, I'm not using an addon specifically to work around a blizz function or rule, i just use them and i want to normally report away as if i werent using them.
Reply Quote
as it stands, I cannot report anyone away without first disabling 5 or so addons that i need dearly to operate in pvp.
Reply Quote
and when i have everything enabled, it doesnt even tell me which addon to blame, just this:

Date: 2013-01-02 02:31:37
ID: 1
Error occured in: AddOn: *** TaintForced ***
Count: 1
Message: Error: AddOn *** TaintForced *** attempted to call a forbidden function (ReportPlayerIsPVPAFK()) from a tainted execution path.
Debug:
[C]: ReportPlayerIsPVPAFK()
..\FrameXML\UnitPopup.lua:1658: func()
..\FrameXML\UIDropDownMenu.lua:710: UIDropDownMenuButton_OnClick()
[string "*:OnClick"]:1:
[string "*:OnClick"]:1
Locals:
None
AddOns:
Swatter, v4.1.0 (<%codename%>)
NPCScan, v5.0.0.5
NPCScanOverlay, v5.0.0.3
ACP, v3.4.1
Archy, v1.8.39
ArkInventory, v30325
ArkInventoryRules, v
ArkInventoryRulesExample, v1.00
AtlasLootLoader, vv7.04.01
AuctionMaster, v5.5.2
AutoQuest2, v5.1.1
AutoRole, v4.1
BadBoy, v11.424
Bartender4, v4.5.8
Bartender4Dualspec, v
BattlegroundTargets, v50100-2
Bazooka, vv2.2.1
BrokerEverything, v5.1.1
BrokerEverythingConfig, v0.5
BrokerSpeed, v1.0
DBMCore, v
DBMLDB, v
DBMPvP, v
ElkBuffBars, v2.3.2-170
HealersHaveToDie, v2.0.4
HideAchievement, v
HideBossFrames, v2
Icetip, vv2.0.7
IgnoreMore, v1.1.1-40300
Mapster, v1.5.1-8-gcee0d4f
MobInfo2, v5.0.4.0
mySellAll, v5.0.7
Omen, v3.1.8
OmniCC, v5.1.3
oqueue, v1.0.8
Overachiever, v0.70
Postal, v3.5.1
Prat30, vr899
Prat30HighCPUUsageModules, v
Prat30Libraries, v
Quartz, v3.1.1-2-ga35af5a
RaidAchievement, v1.110
RaidAchievementAchieveReminder, v
RAQ, v5.1a
Recount, v
sct, v6.62
sctd, v6.61
SexyMap, v2.4
SexyReputation, v1.0.34
TidyPlates, v6.8.2 (R559)
TidyPlatesNeon, v
TidyPlatesHub, v
TidyPlatesWidgets, v
TomTom, vv50100-1.0.1
VuhDo, v3.25
VuhDoOptions, v3.25
WoWPro, v2.4.0A
WoWProAchievements, v2.4.0A
WoWProDailies, v2.4.0A
WoWProLeveling, v2.4.0A
WowProProfession, v2.4.0A
WoWProWorldEvents, v2.4.0A
XLoot10, vz35-beta
XLootGroup, vz15-repack-release
XPerl, v3.6.20 Beta 2
XPerlArcaneBar, v
XPerlPlayer, v
XPerlPlayerPet, v
XPerlTarget, v
XPerlTargetTarget, v
BlizRuntimeLib_enUS v5.1.0.50100 <us>
(ck=639)
Reply Quote
86 Gnome Priest
01/02/2013 02:34 AMPosted by Docbanner
Message: Error: AddOn *** TaintForced *** attempted to call a forbidden function (ReportPlayerIsPVPAFK()) from a tainted execution path.

This is an issue with Xperl calling the now protected function post a ticket at this link.

http://www.wowace.com/addons/xperl/tickets/

you can login witht the same credidentials as you use for the curse client.

source: I googled "Error occured in: AddOn: *** TaintForced ***" and every result mentioned Xperl.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]